Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any body tell me if it's safe to jack up from of the engine by placing 2x4 underneath the upper oil pan? Will it cause it to crack or leak? :confused:

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
If your trying to lift the engine to do work, than its ok. Just be careful and go slow and keep an eye on the pan...don't wanna mess it up.

If you are trying to lift the entire front of the car...than no. If your having issues trying to jack the front end, try jacking it up using the factory tow hitch.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Basically what I want to do is to change my lower oil pan and I need to jack up the front of the engine to do that. I was just worried that it may carack or something.

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
WhiteBlazze said:
... try jacking it up using the factory tow hitch.
I don't think this is a good idea even though some people/shops do it. The toe hitch was not designed for that purpose and I think you are risking damaging your car if you do...

IMO, just jack up your car at the jacking points(<--- there's a concept!) behind the front wheels one at a time, placing the jack stands close to the notches where you are supposed to jack up your car using the supplied jack kit for changing a flat. yes this might bend the metal slightly but if Toyota says to jack your car up there, then that's where I'm going to do it. Then if you want to raise the back end, put the floor jack on the diff and go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts