Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
0 to gas station in 5 sec
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was working on the supra today and my eye caught something i'd never seen before, what looks like a photosensor in the passenger corner of the dash vent. What is this for?

It looks like it's stock because of the way it fits in there.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
its probably the solar sensor (supposed to have a black button over it). It is used with the automatic climate control to determine what temperature air to blow to give you the desired cabin temp.

OR it could be the glass breakage sensor I've heard 89-92 supras had with their factory alarms?

·
0 to gas station in 5 sec
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MA70Supra88 said:
Man there was a thread about this recently with pictures and I everything but I can't find it. I was able to find this one though:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=79297

HTH.
Thanks! I kinda figured it had been brought up before if it was stock but I couldn't find anything in a whole 1 minute of searching:p

Does anyone know for sure if it's important for it to have the cover on it?

·
92 TURBO
999 Posts
JonoTurbo said:
So I was working on the supra today and my eye caught something i'd never seen before, what looks like a photosensor in the passenger corner of the dash vent. What is this for?

It looks like it's stock because of the way it fits in there.
It's the solar sensor for the climate control which is really just a photo cell that sees light. It's purpose is to adjust the A/C temp. to be colder by way of the temp. blend door when it detects sunlight. At a given temp. setting on the climate control, the A/C will actually run colder by approx. 2 degrees below the set point with the sun out (solar load) than if the sun was not out (night time) because of this sensor.
Example: Say you have c/c set for 73 and the outside temp is 90 with sun shining on sensor, the incar temp. will cool down and level out at 71. Than the sun goes behind clouds but the outside temp. is still 90, the incar temp. now holds at 73. This is done to compensate for the solar heat that's coming thru the glass and metal of the car which makes you feel warmer than the temp. in the car actually is.

BTW, your cover for the sensor is missing, it won't work right without the tinted cover over it.
~ mike

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
It's actualy a camera. they are watching you............

·
92 TURBO
999 Posts
SupraMkiii24 said:
I was right, may I have a cookie. They don't feed me at home.
Dan, I'll send you 2 unopened boxes of G.S. cookies.
My sons won't eat them as they're very health conscience about what they eat.
~ mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts