Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, after i finish ordering my rotors, im lookin into driveshafts. On www.suprasport.com they have aluminum ones for 450 and CF ones for 775. I was wondering what you guys think on those prices. I havent seen drive shafts anywhere else so i dont have anything to compare those prices to. Do you think its worth it to spend that much on that product? I want to make sure im not completely blowing my money when i could spend it on something better. My car's a 86.5 NA btw if that has some effect to anyones answer

·
MKIV SUPRA FREAK
1,738 Posts
i heard good stories about the aluminum ones, i heard they are better than the carbon fiber ones..
but i also heard that the guy who use to make the driveshafts at SUPRASPORT.com stopped making them also..

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya the aluminum one was soundin more apporpriate to my budget and application because i dont track/race my car yet and read that the CF one was built for a little safer for high power racing applications...which mine is neither :p. Anyone else have input/own or know of any other light weigh drive shaft manufacturers for a N/A mkIII

·
Boost Dealer
981 Posts
for $775 you could get a blown engine MKIII Turbo
swap all the turbo guts onto your setup, doing an NA-T
conversion and make a HUGE difference in power.

Safe your $$, you don't need that stuff yet.

Jeff
[email protected]
400+rwhp MKIII Turbo.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
plus you can find them for alot cheaper than 450... i paid 300 shipepd for mine

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,237 Posts
for 700 canadian you can get a JDM 7mgte here in toronto... I got mine for 400 with out the turbo :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ZaZZn: Any idea what that place would charge for shipping to Calgary?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
brefore buying an Al drive shaft. Put that money elsewhere. Lightened flywheel will help with the power better. Since it is a rotational mass. That would be one of the first thing to get the lightening treatment.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Driveshaft is rotating mass just like the flywheel. The only difference is the flywheel will help you rev faster in neutral and the driveshaft is much easier to replace. You can also lose more weight with an al driveshaft then you can with an al flywheel.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can also lose more weight with an al driveshaft then you can with an al flywheel.
Although that is true, the flywheel has more rotational inertia which is what slows the car down. Inertia by definition is the resistance to change velocity.

I agree that $450 can be better spent. Done a good tune up on the car lately?or like already mentioned save it for a turbo swap.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Hmm, well it really depends on what gear you're in. Higher gears spin the driveshaft more then the flywheel while lower gears spin the flywheel more then the driveshaft.

Meh, 6 1/2 dozen either way in the end it doesn't matter all that much. I myself did both :)

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
well, the general rule of thumb is:

Every 1 lb of rotational weight you remove from your driveline (engine, tranny, driveshaft, axles, wheels, brakes) is about 1 HP more that can be put down to the ground. a driveshaft would help.

but, horsepower per $... its kinda helpful... id just wait till your stocker is shot, or need new bearings/u-joints... then just spend the money on the upgrade rather than the stock replacment.

·
Some Guy With A Supra
378 Posts
Hey ZaZZn, did u say u can get a JDM 7mgte for $400?? Please tell me this is true, i'm about to lay down 800 for a soko 7mgte. If i can get one for 400 that would be so sweet!

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
POSsupra said:
My car's a 86.5 NA btw if that has some effect to anyones answer
Then "no". I love NA's...the only way I'll change my NA to turbo is if I drop in a 1jz-GTE (that's only cuz I still have two NA RX7's). CF hoods, stripped interiors, racing buckets, stuff like that should only be necessary if you can run a "faster than 12" 1/4...Lightweight driveshafts, Lightweight batteries, lightweight headlight covers...yeah, I can see the point if you can run 10's...

Just to point out, though a drive shaft will get you a little bit, giving it's relatively small diameter you're not save THAT much. Want a REAL improvement? Get a 9lb flywheel...

·
Registered
948 Posts
one thing your leaving out is with a flywheel, theres less inertia, so when your clutch engauges it, it transfers alot less power to the tranny-shaft-rearend-axels-tires... this is good if your severely traction limited, but if you hook up good, or like to drift, leave the flywheel stock

1 - 15 of 15 Posts