Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· DFA Motorsports
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, all I need to do is get a flywheel and put my engine and tranny back in the car to have it running again.

I was trying to decide on getting a after-market lightened flywheel or just stick with the stocker, this is going to be at BPU power levels for a short time. I'v never had a lightened flywheel have read that they chatter like a mofo, but need to know how tolerable it is ect. Also is the chatter affected by the flywheel being either aluminum or chromoly?

· Banned
3,376 Posts
I just upgraded to the RPS Cyn-R-Gy and it chatters pretty bad at idle... I just raised the idle and now its fine... The other good thing about this flywheel is that you can rebuild it for life... You will want the lightened flywheel as your turbo will spool much faster... Definately worth the extra noise...

· Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Lightweight is good but you have to raise the idle to get rid of the chatter. Ive had both and I really liked the lighweight flywheel. A stocker is better for drag racing since it has the mass to keep the car from bogging down.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
When using a light weight flywheel.....Isn't it also true that if your at low RPM's in a higher gear crusing and press the gas to accelerate the tranny rattles like hell also?

· Registered
13,982 Posts
I love my HKS LWFW but I don't really drag race and any gear noise I hear doesn't bother me. The motor revs really quickly with it so it enhances that responsive feeling that I like. Since there is no dampening of the V160 gear rattle, you will hear that sometimes.

· The Great Kruso
4,230 Posts
To chatter or not to chatter.... that is the question.

· The Great Kruso
4,230 Posts
Its only with the V160, I had a Fidanza on my R154 and never did it on that tranny. The stock 2J 6spd flywheel is alot heavier then the 1JZ or the 7M flywheel thats why they're not apples to apples.

Kruso

· Registered
1,800 Posts
When using a light weight flywheel.....Isn't it also true that if your at low RPM's in a higher gear crusing and press the gas to accelerate the tranny rattles like hell also?
Yes, it rattles pretty bad. It feels like the tranny is gonna give. You can keep it at a steady rpm without making it rattle so bad but for the most part it's another one of those "it's not good for daily".

· Blood for Blood
9,923 Posts
I like the one the sgt said... I have seen them used in a few builds...

the chatter is just a thing you deal with the responce is what your really after with this part.

· Registered
928 Posts
just put in my triple plate that obviosly has its own flywheel to act as a "clutch basket" of sorts. It is the os giken r3c. i was suprised how heavy the flywheel was on this clutch, it almost felt like stock weight, and i believe it was chromoly. I am thinking however that no matter what the weight of the new one i put in, i will still get the chattering because of the lack of the dual mass rubber cushion found on the stocker? Hopefully it is not too bad as i street my car everyday and i have heard ranging accounts from how horrible the chatter is to how it is barely noticable. must depend on your exact setup

· Registered
1,760 Posts
does anyone have video of the clutch rattles?

· Registered
251 Posts
i stick with stock FW on mine. Better on high rpm to me..

· Registered
1,890 Posts
Stay away from lightweight flywheels. They are very very unfriendly for a street-car. They rattle, bog, and you have to leave the line at 3500 at a stoplight to keep from stalling.

Unless you are an auto-x guy, save yourself the headache:faint:

· Registered
MKIV TT 6 Speed
1,870 Posts
All light weight flywheels chatter it is because the OEM flywheels are a dual mass… The chattering isn’t that bad -15 pounds of rotation mass makes it worth it. Even if your car sounds like it’s going to fall apart at least you have better acceleration. Just hold the clutch.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.