Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever compiled any kind of information on weight of common internal part brands, pistons, rings, rods, bearings for 2jz?

At the moment, I am looking at reasonably price solutions that exceed my goals, but I am also hyperfocused on lightening piston/rod and probably rings as much as I can from stock without incurring too much extra cash.

Feel free to post whatever, but I would prefer to see posts that include numbers of mass and especially parts that are lighter than OEM. Which brands are lighter than OEM? garbage or good?

What is the OEM piston, rod, ring mass?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
This was posted in one of the shimless bucket threads:

Yeah, essentially to eliminate the chance of spitting shims and to reduce the overall valvetrain weight. Depending on the thickness of shims you have, you could save almost a pound (around 12 ounces) just by switching to shimless buckets. That will allow you to rev higher on the same valvetrain before experiencing valve float. Here is a picture of top shimmed, bottom shimmed, and shimless buckets. Supras are top shimmed from the factory. The picture also shows the difference in mass between the different types.

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
2.5L block and internals weigh less.

:hide:

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx man, that is a savage thread, exactly what I was looking for. I think I've seen that thread before also, lol.

I already have shimless buckets, but that photo looks great Mr. Nick. Good addition. Don't even get me started on the seat of the pants performance gains I noticed going from stock jdm head to ported +1mm valve, ti retainer, shimless bucket, gsc s2 head. I don't think I sacrificed a damn attribute and I gained 200hp from that, +4psi, and +1500rpm. I laughed out loud the first 10 times I felt it pull past 6k rpm. That is a little different than lightening up the bottom end, but I'm hoping to get it revving as fast as it did with a 13lb flywheel but with the RPS steel flywheel. I also liked decelerating while going down a super steep hill in gear, but I digress... I think.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, I just started looking at titanium rods. Hey, now there is a good way to surprise sodomize your wallet. OCD Works didnt give me the mass in grams of the ti rods, but they did say $629 per rod. I think I would rather put a stroker crank in once I start to examine price to performance gains. Boy oh boy would I love to justify the cost of firing up a 3.4.

·
Game Over
1,249 Posts
Lol, I just started looking at titanium rods. Hey, now there is a good way to surprise sodomize your wallet. OCD Works didnt give me the mass in grams of the ti rods, but they did say $629 per rod. I think I would rather put a stroker crank in once I start to examine price to performance gains. Boy oh boy would I love to justify the cost of firing up a 3.4.
Winberg claims a 14lbs drop from a OEM crank. The price isn't too far off from the set of Ti rods, and I suspect steel still may have better longevity, correct me if I'm wrong. Still really expensive either way.

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/p-4557-winberg-billet-2jz-crankshafts.aspx

·
4,932 Posts

·
Game Over
1,249 Posts
Damn I was just going to post that :lol: Almost positive you can send them your crank and they'll lighten it as well. Even 10 lbs off the crank will be a huge difference.
It should be, there are aftermarket flywheels that weigh more than 10 lbs lol. Knife edging should also help free up some response from reducing fluid friction in the crank case. Losing weight from the outer diameter of rotating masses would also be key here.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
what power goal are you shooting for

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Guys, isn't a Winberg crank like $5k.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shit, well that sounds like the freakin bees knees, 7.5kg weight savings AND stroker at the same time. For the record, titanium rods and some lighter pistons would have you saving around 2 to 2.5kg (dont quote me on that, but its not far off).

Those are the options I would pick if I burned 20s in the fireplace as a hobby.

I am aiming for 700-800 wheel, but i would like to support 1000whp on e85 levels of torque rape.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts