Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Blitz MSTT installed and my headlight auto-shut-off doesn't work now...

Has anyone determined how to circumvent this irritating change?

Thanks in advance.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RSA Supra said:
I'm not certain, but I think you have to use one of the other ingintion wires. Ing. 1 instead of Ing. 2 or visa versa.

Maybe someone who actually knows for sure will reply.:D
Interesting.

I'm actually using the Blitz harness, so if that's the case I guess I need to hack up their harness?

I did a search on the subject, but couldn't find anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SdSupraTT said:
I got the same problem...but I have heard the same...

Just didnt bother to fix it.... ;)

How about a nice write up when you figure it out?
Sure. As soon as I know how to fix it I will, complete with write-up. :D

Hopefully someone knows how to fix it... I'd prefer to avoid mucking around with my volt-meter if it's well known.

·
Retired Admin
597 Posts
When I didn't have a turbo timer, I would shut off the car, and open the door, therefore turning off the lights.

When I got my turbo timer, I would take the key out with the car still running, get out of the car and shut the door. The lights don't turn off unless you break the circuit I believe.

I would like to know a way around this too

Brittany

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brittany said:
When I didn't have a turbo timer, I would shut off the car, and open the door, therefore turning off the lights.

When I got my turbo timer, I would take the key out with the car still running, get out of the car and shut the door. The lights don't turn off unless you break the circuit I believe.

I would like to know a way around this too
That's exactly what I'm describing, Brit. Thanks for the additional clarification. :)

Someone must have fixed this by now... anyone?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
After your car turns off it requires the door to be opened to shut off the lights.

Use the ground output from your turbo timer to trip a relay.

The relay will have to be connected to a door pin wire.

If the ground output on your timer is high output (over 500 milliamp) you shouln't need a relay.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
T78supra said:
After your car turns off it requires the door to be opened to shut off the lights.

Use the ground output from your turbo timer to trip a relay.

The relay will have to be connected to a door pin wire.
There must be an easier way related to the harnes... Have you done what you suggested to your car?

Y

·
0 Posts
timer

I have also heard that the way to fix the prob is just like what T78 was saying, so if you find out another way let me know too..

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Here is a post I saved from the mkiv.com email list. I have not done this yet, so if anyone does let us know how it goes:
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 8:32 AM
Subject: RE: [mkiv] Lance Turbo Timer Question

Connector pin # Signal GReddy Harness Toyota colors ('93-'96) Pin 2 AM2 Red White/Red Pin 3 IG2 Green Black/Orange Pin 4 IG1 Blue Black/Yellow Pin 5 ACC Yellow Pink/Blue Pin 7 AM1 Red White Pin 8 ST1 White Black/White

The integration relay uses IG1 via the 10A gauge fuse to determine whether or not the ignition in on. The theft deterrent ECU looks at ACC and IG1. To retain the auto off feature of the headlights, permit the OEM theft deterrent to work, and keep the sound system on while the TT is counting down; lift the secondary locking device on the connector. Use a very small screwdriver to lift the plastic locking tab inside the connector and slide the wire out of the connector. Remove the Blue wire and the yellow wire and then install the blue wire in the yellow wire's position (pin 5) and the yellow wire in the blue wire's position (pin 4). You will no longer have any conflicts between your alarm system and your turbo timer.

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
Well after much delay I decided to give setting up my Blitz Multi Speed Turbo Timer correctly so the headlights would auto dim off.

Here is what I found.

For 95 model years supras, and perhaps before, IG1 and IG2 must be switched by the turbo timer. If it is not either the ecu loses power and the engine shuts off, or the guage cluster loses power you have no guages while the engine idles. The loss of guages under most conditions wouldn't be that big of a deal as no one is around to look at them anyway, but for me this is not an option, I dont like my guages not working while the car is running.

All older blitz turbo timers only have the capability of switching 1 ignition wire and 1 power wire and one accessory wire. The result of which you must use the acc wire to switch one of the ignition wires, meaning that acc becomes unswitched. The theft deterrent ECU looks at ACC and IG1. The theft deterrent ecu also helps with the autooff headlights. FYI when I say unswitched this means that the wire is not recieving power during the time the TT is operating. The resulting being there are not enough switched wires.

As a summary, since 3 switched lines are required coming off the TT for everything to function normally after shutdown. The three lines are IG1, IG2, ACC. The Blitz turbo timers do not have this capability, and as such will not be able to rewire them correctly using the harness that is provided.

If someone has another work around let us all know plz. I think the relay method might work, and since I dont know what type of turbo timer T78Supra has, I dont know for sure and I wont be testing this, and instead will be ditching my blitz for another unit. At least, three jump starts from leaving my headlights on is promting this move.

Anyway Good luck to all

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have the Blitz FATT and just plugged it into the Greddy harness already on my MKIV TT 94.. I made sure to ground the extra purple wire supplied with the unit although it was not necessary.. I have been using it for a couple of weeks and noticed the headlights DO AUTOMATICALLY TURN OFF when the car shuts down.. I am no expert with wiring and all but may be able to answer tech questions.. All I know is I left my HID's on one morning and exited the car only to return and find them switched off when car shut down... My GREDDY one never would do this so I am not sure what is happening exactly!!!

Hope this helps.. Nothing more than using Greddy TT harness with my Blitz FATT.. No special relays or wiring or anything... Anyone else have any info on this????

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
Hey Roadie would you mind taking a look at your harness and tell me what wires lead to what? I know it's a pain to get back in there...or take a picture of it so I can figure out where they lead.

Thanks,
Brent

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
OK I talked to a friend of mine who did this to his old car. He said that changing it so that the guages are off once the key is removed is the correct way. The car will remain on until it shuts off. Everything else seems to work correctly like it did stock...once the key is removed the headlights turn off. If you need to monitor the guages as the TT is counting down just put your key back in and stick it to the on position.

On my Blitz Harness...Here is what I did. I swapped the wires going to pin 4 and 5. I believe that it is ig1 and acc. Basically ACC will become switched by the turbo timer and the ig1 will be just a wire that connects. When I get home I will create a more detailed write up on how to modify it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
where exactly is the harness located? my car already had a greddy turbo timer on it when I got it but I would like to be able to lock my doors while my timer is counting down and I wonder if this would fix that problem. all of my gauges and radio stay on now but I would like to change that. If not, does anyone know how I can lock my doors while the engine is running? I have an aftermarket alarm also. thanks

1 - 20 of 40 Posts