Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm Jeff Kiang Bitch!
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished installing my new HKS turbo timer type 1 with the harness. all was well untill the timer shut the engine off, but the headlights were still on, including all the interior lights. Triple checked all the connections and still the same thing. Can any tell me where I went wrong? BTW the 97 Supra has this feature where the lights stay on after the engine is off until I open the door and then they shut off.

·
Premium Member
5,986 Posts
So when the timer turned the car off, the headlights turned on? Or they were already on when you left the car .... and you expected them to shut-off?

·
I'm Jeff Kiang Bitch!
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lights are on before the key is removed and when the timer shuts the engine off the lights stay on. My car was broken into a few months ago and had to get all new harnesses due to the extensive damage, so I had to start from scratch on the wiring. My previous Pivot timer on the old harness always shut the lights off.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
When you have a turbo timer on the car is still running and giving power to the head light.

Normally when you turn your car off you then OPEN the door which then tells a relay to turn off your lights. Using the turbo timer there is no one to "open" your door to tell the relay it's okay to turn off your lights. You will have to manually turn them off now,or wire into the door switch to activate the relay.

Hope this helps.

·
SupraForums Member
1,540 Posts
yea i have the same turbo timer, its all in fucking chinese and not u.s. specs either so the mph and all that is useless :( lol but it doesnt turn off my lights either, and i dont ever remeber the lights turning off when i closed the door either

·
Chillen at the Holidae In
254 Posts
lol let me get a laugh first. Try disconecting the time when you get out of the car that might work. I dont know because i dont have that problem.

steve

·
Boom! Goes the TNT.
133 Posts
When I installed the HKS Turbo Timer Type-1 Black into my Supra(using the HKS TT-4 Harness) my headlights didn't automatically shut off when I exited the car anymore so I think your problem is normal. The interior lights usually stay on for 20 seconds after you exit the car or if you stick your key in the door and lock it.

If you search, I think you'll find that most people have the same problem with the other brands of turbo timers too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
aznsporter said:
When I installed the HKS Turbo Timer Type-1 Black into my Supra(using the HKS TT-4 Harness) my headlights didn't automatically shut off when I exited the car anymore so I think your problem is normal. The interior lights usually stay on for 20 seconds after you exit the car or if you stick your key in the door and lock it.

If you search, I think you'll find that most people have the same problem with the other brands of turbo timers too.
Yeah, I have a Greddy turbo timer, and my headlights do not turn off unless I manually turn them off.

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
93HRDTOPTT said:
You will have to manually turn them off now,or wire into the door switch to activate the relay.
Thread back from the dead :) .

Anyone have details on how to wire the door switch to activate the relay?

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
Hmm... Good question! I always remember to turn my lights off so I never noticed.

I actually had to think about this one!

In order to automatically turn off the head lights the power signal from the gauge fuse to pin 7 of the intergration relay must be cut and then a ground signal must be inputed into the intergration relay pin 6 (which is a internal part of junction block #1) which ultimately turns off the taillight and headlight relays.

Problems:
1) Until the turbo timer turns off the gauge fuse has power.
2) The theft deterrent system is tied into the intergration relay.
3) proper location for diode must be found. (there is a unknown splice location which if diode is not placed before will cause problems with theft detterent system)

Requierd actions to operate auto light turn off and use turbo timer
1) provide a automatic on/off ground input into the intergration relay pin 5 after the turbo timer turns off
2) Install a diode blocking signal (from step 1) to the theft deterrent ecu without interupting signal from Door Courtesy SW LH.

I may or may not look into actually doing this.

Ishii

·
Registered
72 Posts
Another solution

Here is another solution which I have used successfully in both my vehicles.

Parts:

2 relays

Purpose:

Use relays to power up the parking light and headlight wires only when key is in the cylinder and on. I can provide wiring colors if needed.

To do:

Cut parking light wire found below steering column. Connect one side to pin 30 of relay and the other to pin 87. Connect pin 85 to key sense wire at key cylinder and pin 86 to accessory wire (should turn off when key is removed AND during crank).

Do the same thing with the headlight wire.

You car will now only have the parking lights and headlights on when the KEY is in the ignition AND on. They will go out during crank to avoid losing cranking power. Now ther is never any problem of draining battery or having to go back to the car to turn off lights. PM me with any ?'s.

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
Pagstturbo's solution is the easiest.

So tried it out on my car.

Here is what I did.

I purchased a DPDT miniature relay. (radio shack # 275-249)
I chose this one because I could use a single relay to do two jobs.
It cost about 4.$ It is also small and using one relay simplifys wiring.

First I soldered wires straight onto the relay.

Then I accessed connector C13 located under the steering column.

Cut the wires to pin 13(red) and pin 2(green)

Soldered my relay between the two, grounded the relay, and powered it through a switched power source.

Here is a diagram.

Ishii

1 - 16 of 16 Posts