Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much difference does it make if you are making over 500rwhp? never had one. your answers are the deciding factor on if i buy one or not looking at fidanza

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
i'm not sure about after the 500rwhp mark, but when i was otherwise stock except for a fidanza lightweight flywheel, it made an amazing difference in acceleration, as well as deceleration. i love mine, and every supra i ever own will have one. :)

i'm hovering around 300rwhp now (estimated) and i still love it. it's incredibly rev-happy, and when you floor it, the RPM skyrocket. the first time i had it in, i nearly hit the rev limiter, as the RPM increased much more quickly than i had expected.

it was a great buy, and i'd do it again in a heartbeat.

-shaeff

·
9,000,000 lbs of BOOOOST!
625 Posts
its a good bad buy,
Good: faster turbo spool, better acceleration, easy to replace surface face, light weight
Bad: can cost 300-400, bad idel because of the loss rotational mass, lexus afm + light weight flywheel is not a good combo. Motor will lose RPM alot more in between shfts because of of the loss of rotational mass.
But with a motor that is balanced with the lightweight flywheel on it is worth it IMO. I have had one for about a year and i love it.
the good overweighs the bad.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
TealmetalicDream said:
its a good bad buy,
Good: faster turbo spool, better acceleration, easy to replace surface face, light weight
Bad: can cost 300-400, bad idel because of the loss rotational mass, lexus afm + light weight flywheel is not a good combo. Motor will lose RPM alot more in between shfts because of of the loss of rotational mass.
But with a motor that is balanced with the lightweight flywheel on it is worth it IMO. I have had one for about a year and i love it.
the good overweighs the bad.
um, ive never heard of a bad idle, it will take a finer touch from the dig, and yes it does fall faster but then again go SOGI short shift and learn to do it quick (also adjustable BOV im assuming would help) and you won't lose as much on the shift

(this comes from little personal exp, lot of reading SCC, and reading on here)

<l><l>

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
id like to eventually experience the difference with a lightweight flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, lightweight pullies andelectric fans.

compare it to stock...see the difference...im sure its incredibly greatly noticed.

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
if you have that much RPM drop between shifts, you need to learn to shift faster. i have absolutely no problems. i shift fast even when i'm not driving agressively, and my ride is still nice and smooth. ;)

i have no idea what you're talking about with idle problems. none here... :?

the clutch i'm using is a Clutchmasters stage III. :) it's a full face carbon/kevlar disc.

-shaeff

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
No idle problems here either.
I love mine RPS flywheel. I did that and a carbon fiber d/s. I hate the fitment of the shaft but it knocked a crapload of rotational weight off.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Can you use that flywheel with a stock clutch?

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
You should have an upgraded clutch by the time you upgrade the flywheel. Ive also heard the stories about fidanza fws not being balanced correctly.

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
^^^Nope, at least mine wasn't. I had to have it balanced (off by 20something grams IIRC). I have mine mated to a DXD 6 puck sprung clutch. I love the quick drop in RPM's, though sometimes when putting in the clutch at high revs it will die out on me. The only downside I have is the tremendous clutch chatter, but you get used to slipping the clutch to overcome it.

·
Chasing Leaks 24/7
214 Posts
the lightweight flywheel drops rpms faster when shifting, but in doing so it aligns your synchros faster, which in turn will allow you to shift faster. The acceleration is amazing, but you will definitely need to learn the feel of it. It will be a noticeable difference. I would have to agree the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts