Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what others have actually done with the stock SMIC, both in terms of pressure and boost. I would like to retain my SMIC with my next single turbo setup for purposes of weight distribution as well as cooling advantages...but I'd definitely like to know if I'm going to be running on borrowed time.

Since nearly everyone who makes over 425 rwhp has an FMIC, I figure this is a prudent thing to ask about. That, and I did just experience massive heat soak induced power loss on my latest dyno run which has me thinking about that too.

I've heard stories of the plastic end tanks splitting, but these are usually from people running 22+ psi on stock twins. So, I'd like to know what results have been achieved out there, and for how long. Thanks all. :)

·
Member Thingy
1,119 Posts
Come to think of it, I was running a 67mm turbo on an SMIC, pushing only 17 psi though. Olddawg93 I believe is still running an SMIC pushing 2x psi and almost 600 hp. No mechanical problems as far as I know. And Steve, I have an extra Intercooler for that twin Smic mod I know you want to try out. :) I would have loved to have done it myself, but was already too far into my FMIC upgrade to turn back.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I'd like to know too Steve. Has anyone logged SMIC temperatures over a full quarter mile run either on stock twins or a small single? and at various ambient temperatures?

·
Im da TRAIN, u on da trax
666 Posts
i think more of the reasoning is that we assume if you have a SMIC, you do not have an upgraded fuel system installed

that in itself is a large hinderance to the car

my guess (prob not very accurate) is that the stock smic can handle around 1 bar of boost from a medium sized turbo (t67, t78, sp67) without mechanically failing

you have to realize that it will heat soak and just because u can run 22psi on the stock twins and smic, doesnt mean that it can handle 22 psi on a med-large single

please correct me if my reasoning is flawed

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
This is all related to BPU, I don't know if you're interested since you mentioned the single turbo issue which is likely a whole new ball game.

No scientific data here as far as heat soak and temp numbers, but three and a half years ago I dyno'd 435rwhp, I had the stock SMIC then and still have it today. I did three pulls that day and the second and third were about the same and higher than the first. I routinely boost over 16psi, usually every day I drive the car (which is most nice days, I can't leave it home if it's nice out) since I take major highways to work and when I enter a highway and it's not crowded, I enter with the pedal to the metal (94 oct is my only daily fuel).

As far as track time, I have no drag strip time to speak of, but I do a few HPDE every year and I feel like my car is pretty damn strong on the track, I think I hammer it consistently pretty hard and stay on it as much as possible and I don't notice any significant drop off as the day goes on. I think it might be a factor, when I'm on the track I'm running race gas just for my peace of mind/insanity (105 unleaded usually, last time it was not and I ran 112 leaded since that's all they had) but it might also be of some help as far as thermal management.

Since I went BPU over 4 years ago, on the street on nice cold days and if I'm wanting to go balls to the wall so to speak and happen to have high octane in the tank, I crank up the gain and set to 100% and hit over 25psi quite a few times; that probably only happens a few times a year or so, but no problems that I can see or feel so far.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've done 430 with the twins on the stock sidemount. It was a fairly warm day too. I've upgraded to a fmic since then and haven't been able to get back on a dyno. I think it does a pretty good job!

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, my plans are to run an SP58GT with about 15-18 pounds of boost under normal conditions (blended gas always). I just want the cooling benefits and lack of weight on the nose that could come from retaining the SMIC, and not have to worry about overheating when the temperatures go up (think Vegas). I know I'd be OK at home with a FMIC, but since I really tend to track my car more away from home just want to plan accordingly.

I already have HKS hardpipes sitting around for my stock SMIC, but after my latest dyno adventure I really want to make sure it's the right choice. In my case it's a bit more dramatic since I had to heat up my Exedy twin carbon clutch for quite a while before it would hold the torque on the dyno, and when I finally got to make my runs my power went down every single run so that my first was the highest. Even by trying a 5th gear pull didn't help rwhp or rwtq since everything was so darned hot by the end of my dyno attempts.

Not sure how a single would behave differently, but obviously singles can generate a ton of heat also. I'm still scratching my head why dynoing is so important too! ;)

Steve T.

·
Registered
315 Posts
480 rwhp @18 psi on T61, cast manifold, stock fuel system and of course stock smic.
I changed to a FMIC about 3 months later to prepare for a bigger turbo.

But if didn't want more power I would have readily stayed with the stocker.

·
Oh Snaps
549 Posts
kale said:
Come to think of it, I was running a 67mm turbo on an SMIC, pushing only 17 psi though. Olddawg93 I believe is still running an SMIC pushing 2x psi and almost 600 hp. No mechanical problems as far as I know. And Steve, I have an extra Intercooler for that twin Smic mod I know you want to try out. :) I would have loved to have done it myself, but was already too far into my FMIC upgrade to turn back.
Why not give the dual SMIC a try? I'm sure that you would be able to find another stock IC and change the end tanks so they are the other way, and then pipe it in.

·
Member Thingy
1,119 Posts
I would, but I just finished a custom FMIC setup which allows the radiator to breathe almost like there was no intercooler there. So, I highly encourage others to do the dual SMIC, but i'm beyond that stage now.

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Norinh...since my goals are basically just what you mentioned and obtained, I believe I can stick with my original plan. I appreciate the feedback. :)

Steve T.

norinhsi said:
480 rwhp @18 psi on T61, cast manifold, stock fuel system and of course stock smic.
I changed to a FMIC about 3 months later to prepare for a bigger turbo.

But if didn't want more power I would have readily stayed with the stocker.

·
Hardtopper Once Again!
1,709 Posts
90redsupra said:
I know someone who layed down ~550rwhp on stock side mount, with around a 61mm turbo.
Running that much power on a dyno pull is much different then trying to daily drive or track the car with that much power on the stock smic.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Is there any concensus on the performance of the old Greddy sidemount? Other than the metal end tanks giving it higher pressure capability (life if you spray and backfire) has anyone ever confirmed it cools more?

Also, it seems like you can put together a "custom" side mount using standard end tanks and coils and the only reason I can think of that we don't see more of those is that it'll cost as much as a FMIC and most Supra folks want the "LOOK" of the frontmount. But for a small to mid size single owner concerned about road course track temps and heat soak, to me this seems to be a good option.

·
Boostin...
1,265 Posts
Years ago I ran a 12.0 @ 124 mph on the stock SMIC pushing 18 pounds of boost. I ran it like that for 6 months with no problems at all.

I finally blew the end tank off at 22 pounds of boost on a 4th gear pull with a GReddy T78.

·
Almost quick..
747 Posts
Running that much power on a dyno pull is much different then trying to daily drive or track the car with that much power on the stock smic.
0 He ran the car like that for along time, tracked and driven very often.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts