Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
8 Second 6spd
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a NA-T sc300 with GT42-71mm, still on the distributor. I was wondering what the boost limits or what power levels the distributor starts to show its weakness? what if I added a HKS Twinpower?

Current mods:
th400
AEM+wb02
custom T6 exhaust mani
T6 GT42-71mm
sheetmetal intake manifold
spearco intercooler
1000cc inj
weldon 2035A pump

i bought the car with the turbo setup so do not ask why i decided to use t6 exhaust housing. if it were up to me i'd have a t4 w/ .96AR but the way the turbo is situated i would have to do a bunch of fabrication to make it right. in the long run i want to switch to GTE head and run 3.4L + gt47-88....

·
8 Second 6spd
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
interesting, anyone have the mods list from this car...

EDIT: found it http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350965

thats on the stock intake manifold / stock throttle body. that is pretty damn impressive. i am anxious to see what my car will do when i get it running

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
640 rwhp no ignition breakup at all. if anything its a better ignition design then the CoP with an AEM. its not wastespark with the distributer

·
Registered
289 Posts
racing fan said:
640 rwhp no ignition breakup at all. if anything its a better ignition design then the CoP with an AEM. its not wastespark with the distributer
You know, I've heard this kind of thing from several tuners now. I was told that the GE has it's advantages in tuning over the GTE but there are debatable advantages the GTE might have over the GE.

I say at least go with an ignition box, like the HKS. If people haven't had any problem with it yet, no need to go distributorless. Unless the resulting cam limitations are what your trying to get rid of. Then it's a different story... (but only for cost and simplicity reasons) For most any power needs, I don't think there is anything wrong about using the distributor. Only distributor related issue to power production are the GE CAMS. :rolleyes:

Under 700 RWHP, I hear it's just fine. But get an aftermarket ignition.

- Bryan

PS: I would bet with proper ignition, and cams (I hear some are coming out for the GE's distributor style setup) A fresh OEM distributor would work for well over 1000 RWHP, if you had the supporting mods. If a 4 cylinder Honda motor with distributor setups simular to ours can work up to 900+ hp, I don't see any reason why ours wouldn't either. Ignition + AEM should solve any limiting issues you may have.

here is a page with some of the baddest honda engines. (ALL ON DISTRIBUTORS!)

http://jgenginedynamics.com/Turn key/JGENGINEDYNAMICS_TURNKEY _3.jpg

·
8 Second 6spd
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a lot of the honda guys switch to CBR bike coils... i think the major disadvantage to the distributor for me in long term is the location. i want to run a 47-80 and it aint gonna happen with the distributor there.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
racing fan said:
Huh?... How can one third of the dwell time setup for a one-coil distributor ignition be better than wasted spark with effectively 3 more coils? You also have some loss from the distributor rotor swiping the cap post when energizing each plug.

I'm sorry, but you'll have to explain that one...

-scott

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,268 Posts
At this point, organizing that engine bay may be required in overcoming your platue.

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
what size of a turbo do you want, BL's manifold, which i run, holds up to a 76 thats good for 900 rwhp with ease. i also ran the 76 on my car and it ran fine. thats all without removing the distributer.

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
motorheaddown said:
Huh?... How can one third of the dwell time setup for a one-coil distributor ignition be better than wasted spark with effectively 3 more coils? You also have some loss from the distributor rotor swiping the cap post when energizing each plug.

I'm sorry, but you'll have to explain that one...

-scott

Sorry... that would be Ryan posting from my name- you can tell by his lack of punctuation and missing capitalization.

Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. When it comes down to it though.... I do not see the point in removing the distributor from the GE motors (other than fitment issues for poorly designed headers :sadance: )

The stock distributor with stock wires and an HKS DLI will make over 700rwhp efficiently.... (It will also support nice lean cruise AFRs that most worn Supra COP systems cannot)

It is simple, cheap, and effective. Any more questions?

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
joel(pa) said:
I am running a NA-T sc300 with GT42-71mm, still on the distributor. I was wondering what the boost limits or what power levels the distributor starts to show its weakness? what if I added a HKS Twinpower?

Current mods:
th400
AEM+wb02
custom T6 exhaust mani
T6 GT42-71mm
sheetmetal intake manifold
spearco intercooler
1000cc inj
weldon 2035A pump

i bought the car with the turbo setup so do not ask why i decided to use t6 exhaust housing. if it were up to me i'd have a t4 w/ .96AR but the way the turbo is situated i would have to do a bunch of fabrication to make it right. in the long run i want to switch to GTE head and run 3.4L + gt47-88....

Back to the orignial question, The distributor will support the power level of that turbo with ease. Get a DLI, new rotor/cap/wires from Toyota, get some good spark plugs and gap them low. If you have any ignition issues beyond that a cheap coil upgrade will take care of you but the DLI will most likely handle the power for you.

Thats a baller fuel pump BTW:)

·
8 Second 6spd
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
racing fan said:
Back to the orignial question, The distributor will support the power level of that turbo with ease. Get a DLI, new rotor/cap/wires from Toyota, get some good spark plugs and gap them low. If you have any ignition issues beyond that a cheap coil upgrade will take care of you but the DLI will most likely handle the power for you.

Thats a baller fuel pump BTW:)
I bought the pump for my drag car used. i figure with how much i have into the rb26 motor, why risk everything on a used pump... so this is going into my lexus.

If someone can make a t6 manifold that can hold a gt47 with the distributor in place, i would be very interested in it. afaik there is no t6 flange mani for the GE head.

what plugs do you recommend and what gap. i am running GTE internals

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
racing fan said:
Sorry... that would be Ryan posting from my name- you can tell by his lack of punctuation and missing capitalization.
Either way, he needs to study up on ignition systems. :)

racing fan said:
Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. When it comes down to it though.... I do not see the point in removing the distributor from the GE motors (other than fitment issues for poorly designed headers :sadance: )
Actually for once I agree with you. :) It's only really necessary to remove it for very high horsepower applications.

racing fan said:
The stock distributor with stock wires and an HKS DLI will make over 700rwhp efficiently.... (It will also support nice lean cruise AFRs that most worn Supra COP systems cannot)
OK... we're back to disagreeing again. :( Lean AFRs is a tuning problem not an ignition problem. I'm sorry, but you'll have to explain that one, too.

-scott

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

Shit, a distributor and no plenum. This car traps 197 mph.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
PM Supra said:

Shit, a distributor and no plenum. This car traps 197 mph.
Well hell then, let's throw in a top fuel dragster. The magneto, cap, and coils are technically a distributor ignition.

However, you'll need 44 amps to light the mixture off. :)

-scott

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I think they run a pair of them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts