Supra Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
From the land down under
3,815 Posts
The tender may not be "needed" in order for the bikes to start each day, but as you have already stated, they are currently not lasting long enough.

All Im suggesting is that if they were connected to tenders, they wouldnt be having the short life span that you are experiencing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Took these 10min ago in its current state (putting together white hardtop still). In addition, pic of it in my red targa with a quick bracket I made. The Genius charger charges up any battery pretty quick, lithium or non-lithium.

I use a Genius as well, works awesome!!!! Never had an issue. It is plugged in anytime the Supra is sitting in the garage. I fed the wires down under the headlight, so I don't have to pop hood to hook it up.

20160107_115737_1452187165563.jpg

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The tender may not be "needed" in order for the bikes to start each day, but as you have already stated, they are currently not lasting long enough.

All Im suggesting is that if they were connected to tenders, they wouldnt be having the short life span that you are experiencing.
A tender should not be needed for a battery that sits for only 12 hours a day. And used the other 12.

·
Reverend Hillclimb
2,660 Posts
Aside from the motorcycle issue. Have any of you with the dead batteries measured drain, alternator voltage, and battery voltage?
The PC680 is a motorcycle battery, so it isnt meant to be able to run the amount of components many cars on here have, or anywhere else for that matter. They are not strong by any means. Simply lighter, not too expensive, and reliable (for me at least). I also do recommend any of the Deka offerings. You can find the ETX16L for like $80 shipped and that has been bulletproof so far and the car sees a tender in awkward intervals (5 months no, 2 days yes, 1 year no, etc). Battery still juicy.
Weight is 17lbs and it is the Braille 2317 pattern so I use the 2317 mount.
I am going to dig in to see if Odyssey has changed any manufacturing processes

Also are any of you guys doing an install charge? I was always taught to put AGM batteries on a tender until they are fully charged before full use. I cant see that is the reason they last so long as that would be fallible reasoning, buy its a good habit. They always come undervolted

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've been running the ETX18l for the past few years. I believe i've gone through 3 maybe 4 since 2013 and currently looking for a new/better solution. I have mine mounted in the right rear corner for weight, and have a 225amp circuit breaker mounted beside it, then running 0 gauge all the way up to the fuse box/starter. I keep them on a smart tender but even after sitting on the trailer for a night after a drag event the car doesn't want to start and often flips the breaker. Anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I use a Genius as well, works awesome!!!! Never had an issue. It is plugged in anytime the Supra is sitting in the garage. I fed the wires down under the headlight, so I don't have to pop hood to hook it up.
Yeah it's been the best charger I've used as well. Extremely user friendly and comes with multiple wire attachments. Nifty setup for charge you got there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am using a BRAILLE with the tender made by the same company. The battery is not Lithium, I believe it is called MAT glass construction. It is 1/3 the weight of the OEM battery, around 21 lbs. It gives 625 CCA and if the tender is kept on it, seems to last well. I have had mine in use (summers) for two years and just kept the tender on during the winter when the car is stored. A Lithium would be lighter again, however the cost is much higher.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts