Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me explain the story in a short version so you all know where i am at.

i have a 94 supra turbo. boostlogic single turbo kit. aem ems, sparco seats, volks painted silver. hid's full stereo system ect ect ect.
It has around 120k miles on it, the paint is kinda so so, and the interior as well. Im kind of a picky person and always look at the car wanting to do more to it.

THE PROBLEM, i had some shop where i live install everything and well a week later the car threw a rod due to leaning out on the dyno, AGAIN my fault i had morons tune and build the car.

So the car sits in my garage after 3 months with a blown motor.

In the mean time i bought a corvette 2002 z06 silver. i put 1k down and am paying 620 a month. it has a long warranty on it and has no problems. gets alot of attention since its a vette from the opisite sex. :)

I had the supra for around a year and i will admit i got alot of attention in it. But there was always something wrong with it. most of the time it was on stock twins and something simple broke like an intercooler tube or vac line.

im 20 and going to college, i get around 1500 a month in money from my dad. mom pays all my bills :( i know im spoiled ... but the car stuff is all me.

I cant keep the vette and the supra. the plan was to fix the supra at boostlogic and sell it to lower the payment on the vette, being the supra is paid for.

If i keep the supra i have no monthly payment. the vette will still have around a 400 dollar payment. Being the supra is old im not sure how reliable it is for a daily. Specially if i keep the single turbo to drive everyday is that safe to not have problems ? im going to take it to boostlogic this time and let the famous JUSTIN tune it as well. so new motor and tune?

I know being this is supra forums most people will say keep the supra. but please look at the reality that for the most part its a daily driver, and the vette has low miles and no problems and a warranty to back it up. also in alot better shape then the supra being its newer.

just wanted to get some imput from people on the boards, u all are always helpful.

thanks
chris

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
you threw a rod because of running lean?

·
Supra Fender Covers PM me
503 Posts
Hope you enjoy the attention you and all those old dudes get in your Z06......come on man. Why dont you learn a bit about the supra put a bit of your time into it, and you will enjoy the car a lot more. Why not build it up since money aint an issue....make a bullet proof engine...

Wish I had such a hard decisions in my life ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol i do want it, i luv supras, i luv mine !
the thing i dont like about the z06 is no one ever belives its mine, they think im driving around my dads car haha,

im not dumb, i know enough about the supra and the 2jzgte motor. i have worked on my car before.

but as far as money goes, i cant be putting to much more into the supra. i went to tx2k6 with the vette since the supra broke 2 weeks before .:(

i just wana make sure that the supra will be a good everyday car with it being singled. i dont wana have alot of problems with it.

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
silverz06guy said:
lol i do want it, i luv supras, i luv mine !
the thing i dont like about the z06 is no one ever belives its mine, they think im driving around my dads car haha,

im not dumb, i know enough about the supra and the 2jzgte motor. i have worked on my car before.

but as far as money goes, i cant be putting to much more into the supra. i went to tx2k6 with the vette since the supra broke 2 weeks before .:(

i just wana make sure that the supra will be a good everyday car with it being singled. i dont wana have alot of problems with it.

If everything is done right it will be. You just have to pay attention to the details. Although my car is down now(oil starvation from a dirty oil cooler and cracked valve cover) the engine I am using was from my previous supra and has over 100k miles on it. 80% of that single turboed. I drive my car daily over 70 miles and day and race it on the weekends so it can be done. Just have it built right and then take care of it...it will definitely take car of you back.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
If the Supra is paid for then it should be a no brainer $620 a month can buy a lot of mods. Suck it up and drive a beater until your Supra is done. Do your Supra right and you will forget about that Vette quickly...sell your Supra and you will always wonder what could have been.....

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
IMO it seems like you want the vette more than the Supra. Otherwise you wouldn't have gotten into a 600+/mo commitment and would have instead put that $ into a cheap beater and into fixing your Sup the right way.

cut your losses, sell the sup, and enjoy your belly-button vette :ugh2:

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
silverz06guy said:
..... since its a vette from the opisite sex. :)

I hadn't thought about it but I guess the Vette is the opposite sex.............. :1poke:

Stop whining and get the Supra fixed right. Else find it a good home and move on.

·
im the BOSS
30 Posts
Well the vette will have some fun torque to play with...

Then again, the Supra has alot of potential, I agree with notlownf :

If the Supra is paid for then it should be a no brainer $620 a month can buy a lot of mods. Suck it up and drive a beater until your Supra is done. Do your Supra right and you will forget about that Vette quickly...sell your Supra and you will always wonder what could have been.....
It all comes down to you and patients, just like they say its a vertue right? If you can chill a little while, I would get some quality work done on the supra and till that is done go with a 30 mpg any car. And once the supra is reliable, drive it and slowly mod it, above and beyond or w/e you want to do, its your car.

Stay with the vette and sell the supra, well there goes a supra, and now its just another vette driving around, it will probably cross your mind at least twice about what happened to the supra, or what could of happened.

So if I were you, I would stay with the supra, and just stay on the DL for a while until some good work gets done to make her reliable, then from there you can start doing some restoration, new paint job and interior if you wish, there are tons of parts out there, and you can do w/e you want and make it a nice custom layout. With that said you may possibly attract even more ladies, you never know!

Thats just my 2 cents.

Curtis

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well the nice part about it is that i can drive the vette until the supra is out of the shop. so downtime dosnt really effect me :) . I belive i will go with my instinct and keep the supra. i just wanted to get yalls input. My mind is towards the supra .. just trying to make a good desision for long term. The thing is that i drive alot and the vette looses value with the miles unlike the supra.

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
If you're really trying to make a decision for long term, don't keep two sports cars at the same time while you're at school, especially if one of the two is on a loan and the other is not running...Keeping the singled Supra out of the road is not a long term decision either.
I mean, get rid of the loan, sell the vette, buy a beater as a DD, and use your monthly payments to fix up your Supra, as others said. What's wrong with it? You'll have plenty of time in your life to play with cars anyway, and driving a 1.8l NA FF AT beater has never killed anyone.
I am working, but if I had space to keep more than one car, I would do that instead of driving my Supra everyday.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
Sounds like you are living outside of your means.

Quit being greedy, sell the Z06, fix your Supra and just drive it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just wanted some people to push me into the desision :)

I know i want the supra back, the vette is already getting old.

i still have a beater car, its a 97 v6 camaro 5 speed. I think ill sell that to get something automatic and keep the supra.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts