Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting here.
Okay had a friend who "knew what I am doing get off my back" help jump the car in storage and the car blew the 120 amp fuse.

The car is a 1997 twin turbo auto with minor upgrades and I think a jet programmed ecu.

I replaced the 120 amp fuses, the others look to be good, moved the relays around and such
it cranks just fine but never starts, we are getting fuel to the engine, the plugs were soaked but we are not getting spark

the coils have power but no noid.
weirdly when the key is set to Acc the power windows dont work.

what else is there to check before I start looking for an ecu?
(might need help trying to find an ecu as well)
Thanks a lot, any advice is appreciated.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,388 Posts
weirdly when the key is set to Acc the power windows dont work.
That's normal. Key must be in ON position to operate the power windows.

Check other fuses, both in the engine bay and driver's kick panel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went through the fuses in the engine bay, had a fun time upside down for he fuses in the drivers kickpanel, still no joy at all.
I had thought that the windows would operate when the key is in the on/acc position?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,388 Posts
Windows do NOT operate with the key in the ACC position.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sounds like your friend has learned a lesson in humility, hopefully. How did you guys have it hooked up to jump it? Only time I've ever blown a fuse that big is when an alternator charge wire retaining nut wasn't tightened properly. That is a LOT of amperage to overload...

Personally, I'd start by checking the TSRM, to see about testing the igniter, then coils. There's probably an entire troubleshooting diagram to work through. Good luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
209 Posts
Even though I work on my own car most of the time, as do most of the folks here, when it comes to something like this you might just want to take it to a diagnostics shop to have them take a look. I say that because after talking to my long time mechanic (15 years now) I've learned there is a fine line between figuring some things out vs giving it to him and his entire shop team to isolate the problem.

Shops like that probably have tools already to diagnose that you don't have nor need normally and could save you loads of time.

Once you know what it is, you'll know what you're up against. :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sure the ecu is getting power? If your windows aren’t working in the ON position then your ignitor probably does have power either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ignition coils themselves are shown getting power, but not signal from the ecm to kick over. the is no "noid" : the solenoid is not getting a drive signal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah the current thought is ecu, I wanted to explore anything else before getting a repaired ecu.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
hope the jumper harness was not reversed? as an negative to positive and vice versa, that would definitely hurt the ECU

·
Registered
66 Posts
I experienced a similar problem under similar circumstances. I could not get a code. I sent my ecu to a company who tests them. If the ecu is ok they ship it back and charge shipping only. In my case they repaired it for about $100 dollars return shipping included. Car started right up. Turn around time was 8 days.

·
Registered
347 Posts
How long was the car sitting in storage? I had something similar happen to me although luckily it was in the garage. Everything checked out minus no signal from ECU. Bought a known good ECU and fired right up. Try the Relentless Motorsports guy for ECU repair.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am pretty sure it was the jump that fried the drivers for the coils.
funny thing is that I am already in touch with Relentless and I will be sending the ecu out to Josh this week.

·
Registered
Rejoined
25 Posts
Did you get the ECU back yet? Did that fix it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts