Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those anyone know about the Tems equipped track mode? I was wondering if any of us tried this on a dyno to see if it wakes the car up. The following excerpt was borrowed from the Suprasonic. UK site.

TEMS Equipped Soarer/Supra Trackday setting activation guide

"trackday settings" is a software based tuning package programmed it the ECU of TEMS (Toyota electronically modulated suspension) performance cars.

What does it do?
it essentially gears up the car for "harder driving" by:

stiffening up the damping rate for a firmer, more controlled and more "talkative" ride.
stiffens up the progressive power steering for a more direct, firmer feel
changes the preset ECU map to make the engine run in a more performance oriented manner, at the cost of fuel consumption. (example it is believed the Soarer twin turbo gains up to 30bhp with trackday settings on)
On Soarers with a Dot matrix equipped instrument cluster a sold square will appear on the dot matrix section indicating Trackday settings are activated.

1992 Soarer Twin turbo engine bay (1JZ-GTE) example
HOW do I activate Trackday settings?????
its a little known secret, but is VERY simple to do....
cut a length of wire about 4" long and strip both ends.....
open up the diagnostics port in the engine bay..
Short out the two terminals "TS" and "E1" by placing each stripped end in each port.
diagnostics port open; Ts-E1 shorted out, refer to the underneath of the diagnostics port cover for location of terminals

Let me know if it works since I nolonger have the stock ecu to try it myself. Mybe someone with a hookup with a locl dyno can post the differences.

Orin B Sr

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
:lol: This is just the TEMS firm mod... It only locks the tems suspension on firm. It does not do anything else.

·
DFWSupras
1,627 Posts
I do it to all the Supras with stock Tems I get my hands on. Ask NIck (SUpraMob) and Rayborn (Rays87Turbo) :)

B

·
0 Posts
has anyone ever thought to check? what if firm mode really does change our ECU's tuning???

T

·
0 Posts
hmmm, i drive with the firm mod all day, i NEVER have it on normal or sport.... i wonder if thats why i'm getting 15mpg??

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
TRD91whtMK3 ver.2 said:
hmmm, i drive with the firm mod all day, i NEVER have it on normal or sport.... i wonder if thats why i'm getting 15mpg??
no. I drove it full firm down the highway and i'm pulling at least 22mpg in my 86.5 (though it's an en nay)

·
b/a/a/b/1
609 Posts
Well with ts and E1 shorted with the suspension set to soft it actualy sends the car into a tems diagnostic mode... So that you can check the steering sensors and such(atleast thats toyotas explanation of it) Wonder if in that mode it actually does change the way the car drives....Myself I wouldnt put it past toyota to throw an easter egg or two into the mix LOL

·
Registered
582 Posts
Would this have the same effect on a 1JZ as on a 7M? I'm still running the stock 1JZ ECU...

T

·
0 Posts
Michael90T said:
Well with ts and E1 shorted with the suspension set to soft it actualy sends the car into a tems diagnostic mode... So that you can check the steering sensors and such(atleast thats toyotas explanation of it) Wonder if in that mode it actually does change the way the car drives....Myself I wouldnt put it past toyota to throw an easter egg or two into the mix LOL
well the diagnostic mode is ONLY if you have it in normal mode.... all it does is flash the 2 outside LED's so when you turn the wheel left, the left will stay flashing, turn the wheel right, the right will stay flashing, just so u can make sure everything is working right

when you put it in sport mode, it goes all the way firm, with all 3 LED's litten up.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
OB1 JZA70 said:
Those anyone know about the Tems equipped track mode? I was wondering if any of us tried this on a dyno to see if it wakes the car up. The following excerpt was borrowed from the Suprasonic. UK site.

TEMS Equipped Soarer/Supra Trackday setting activation guide

"trackday settings" is a software based tuning package programmed it the ECU of TEMS (Toyota electronically modulated suspension) performance cars.

What does it do?
it essentially gears up the car for "harder driving" by:

stiffening up the damping rate for a firmer, more controlled and more "talkative" ride.
stiffens up the progressive power steering for a more direct, firmer feel
changes the preset ECU map to make the engine run in a more performance oriented manner, at the cost of fuel consumption. (example it is believed the Soarer twin turbo gains up to 30bhp with trackday settings on)
On Soarers with a Dot matrix equipped instrument cluster a sold square will appear on the dot matrix section indicating Trackday settings are activated.

1992 Soarer Twin turbo engine bay (1JZ-GTE) example
HOW do I activate Trackday settings?????
its a little known secret, but is VERY simple to do....
cut a length of wire about 4" long and strip both ends.....
open up the diagnostics port in the engine bay..
Short out the two terminals "TS" and "E1" by placing each stripped end in each port.
diagnostics port open; Ts-E1 shorted out, refer to the underneath of the diagnostics port cover for location of terminals

Let me know if it works since I nolonger have the stock ecu to try it myself. Mybe someone with a hookup with a locl dyno can post the differences.

Orin B Sr
I don't believe the article is referring to the TEMS mod guys, cause it seems like the system they are talking about has its own brain linked to the ECU where when shorted out it, it seems to have a different fuel map, and this is Orin you guys are talking about, i'm pretty sure he knows what the TEMS mod is, aight peace :wtf:

S

·
0 Posts
Must be some funky overseas thing. Is it some part of the automatic transmission "sport" button re-tuning.

Bridging our TS-E1 connectors unfortunately only seems to effect the shocks and nothing else.

Wish we had a HP-x2 connector, now that would be fun. :)

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,222 Posts
Far as I know I didn't notice anygains from stiff tems in power.. I'll try it out at the dyno this weekend though.. I highly doubt anything though.. I think it's just a test like the Tems test

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The computers for US and non-NATO seem to have the same part numbers for the 7mgte, so I doubt this is only a overseas thing as far the 7m goes.

As for the 1j... I have no idea. I don't really have a lot of info on that electrical system.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
edit: I deleted my post where I said e1 goes to the ECU.

So just so that drjonez doesn't look crazy I will say the TSRM shows Ts as only going to the Tems computer and e1 is only a ground. (I got my little lines mixed up on the online wiring manual).

·
b/a/a/b/1
609 Posts
TRD91whtMK3 ver.2 said:
well the diagnostic mode is ONLY if you have it in normal mode.... all it does is flash the 2 outside LED's so when you turn the wheel left, the left will stay flashing, turn the wheel right, the right will stay flashing, just so u can make sure everything is working right

when you put it in sport mode, it goes all the way firm, with all 3 LED's litten up.
Ummm.... thats exactly what I said LOL was you correcting me or verifying I was right???? :D :D :D

Zazzn if you go to the dyno to try it what would need to be done would be do it in firm mode... THEN keep ts and e1 shorted but set the suspension into soft (normal mode) so that the two outside leds light up(supposedly diagnostic mode) and see if that makes some kinda diffrence... as the artical doesnt seem to mention that the tems suspension buttons should be set to something it just mentions the ts and e1 being shorted

T

·
0 Posts
Michael90T said:
Ummm.... thats exactly what I said LOL was you correcting me or verifying I was right???? :D :D :D

Zazzn if you go to the dyno to try it what would need to be done would be do it in firm mode... THEN keep ts and e1 shorted but set the suspension into soft (normal mode) so that the two outside leds light up(supposedly diagnostic mode) and see if that makes some kinda diffrence... as the artical doesnt seem to mention that the tems suspension buttons should be set to something it just mentions the ts and e1 being shorted
well i didn't see where u said soft the first time... so i was correcting u...... but now that i look back i guess i'm confirming ;)

H

·
0 Posts
This was taken from the UK Soarer (SC300) forum .. and *IF* it does anything at all it only does it to a soarer, it wont do it to any supra whatsoever.

The guy who wrote it is well known in the UK for talking shite.. it may do something.. it may not.. although i'd bet my right nut it does absolute jack.
I can tell you that i have a stock OEM JZA70 with tems and this mod does absolutely nothing apart from the normal TEMS firm upgrade..

If this wonder mod supposedly enhances the soarer 1JZ, it should do it to the supra 1JZ as they share a virtually identical ECU... and it doesnt.
I can 100% tell you that it will definately do jack to the 7MGTE.

Go about your business...nothing to see here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts