Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Formerly NA-TT
Joined
·
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, did a pull to 145 and I think I have a rod knock now :( Oh well, we'll see what it is. Thought it might be the clutch at first, but the knocking sound is happening all the time... at idle, driving, clutch in or out, in gear or in nuetral and it gets really loud when driving (or rather, when I drove home). I don't understand what could have caused it; maybe I was pushing the car too hard too early :D .... lovin the boost. Oh well, new project to do anyways :D
 

·
NA-T member
Joined
·
455 Posts
Already?
You've done more work then most people in the NA section.
Another project underway I would assume.

What exactly is rod knock?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,615 Posts
Supra SONIC said:
Well, did a pull to 145 and I think I have a rod knock now :( Oh well, we'll see what it is. Thought it might be the clutch at first, but the knocking sound is happening all the time... at idle, driving, clutch in or out, in gear or in nuetral and it gets really loud when driving (or rather, when I drove home). I don't understand what could have caused it; maybe I was pushing the car too hard too early :D .... lovin the boost. Oh well, new project to do anyways :D
What bad luck you have....Man, aren't you pissed? *while I knock on wood*
 

·
Formerly NA-TT
Joined
·
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NCSUpra said:
Already?
You've done more work then most people in the NA section.
Another project underway I would assume.

What exactly is rod knock?
I believe it is when the engine's rod bearings slip, sometimes due to lack of good oil pressure. Check the TT Crankwalk Registry to see how problems can happen fast with a new clutch or engine upgrades for some reason.

I believe my case is either crankwalk or rod knock; I haven't done the clutch-switch bypass mod yet, so that could have been the problem, but to be honest, I was lazy with my install. I mean, I reesembled the motor with new gaskets, ARP headstuds, and simplified the motor, but I didn't really touch the bottom end, and I have a feeling that the bearings may have been sour from sitting for so long.

THE PLAN: I did a compression test and it was good. The camshaft is tightend down to speck, so the knock must be coming from the block unless I am missing something... so... Take the engine out. Find out what the problem is that's causing the knock whether it is from crankwalk, rod knock, etc. If it is one of those then hopefully the engine, crank and rods are ok. If not, I can convert my NA block into a TT one :D

Any advice guys?
 

·
Formerly NA-TT
Joined
·
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
begone said:
What bad luck you have....Man, aren't you pissed? *while I knock on wood*
Life's too short to get pissed, and honestly, having a project is more important to me than driving a fast car because I enjoy the work, even if it does consume money and time... it's an expensive hobbie.
 

·
MyNuttz
Joined
·
874 Posts
isn't the clutch bypass mod a paperclip in a fuse switch under the pedal?...
 

·
Formerly NA-TT
Joined
·
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
supraman78 said:
isn't the clutch bypass mod a paperclip in a fuse switch under the pedal?...
Yeah, it is an easy mod that I didn't do because it was too exciting driving the car, and I was lazy after the work on the swap, and it is suppose to prevent crankwalk, but then again, many don't have it and are fine. Like I said before, probably a rod knock, not crankwalk. You know, I did adjust my pedal height... should have done that mod while I was down there.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top