Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the FAQ's and looked through the MKIV site.
I'm looking for a comprehensive list of do's for the long term storage of a car
Things like getting oil on the tops of the cylinders to prevent the rings from rusting.
I thought there was something like this on the MKIV site.
Any good links out there?

Thanks

Stan

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
Here is what I usually did:

Fill up the chambers with oil, as well as the spark plugs before putting them back in (if the car is never going to run for a looong time), fill up the tank with gas completely so you could avoid rust inside. Lift up the car so the tires wouldn't be in contact with the ground (they would become oval if the car never moves). That way, shocks wouldn't have to support the car either.
Grease slightly all rubber parts (including tires, liners, wipers...), both outside and underneath so they won't dry out, leave the windows slightly open if possible so you'll be able to create some air circulation. If you have to cover it, there is one important point: Keep the ambient air moving around.
Either the car is in a garage and you could just put a cotton cover on. Either it's outside and you should put a waterproof cover on, BUT you'll have to leave space between the cover and the body. It creates condensation when the air is humid, you should allow it to evaporate.
I would recommend to slightly grease the antenna and wheels in order to create a protecting layer (water and oil don't mix, so it'll keep them safe). As well, take a brush and grease the undercarriage. Remove every single piece of crap from the wheel housings (leaves, soil,...), unplug the battery and store it somewhere else or keep it in charge.
Don't put plastic covers on the seats unless they have holes in it.
Some people put cardboard between the brake pads and the rotors, but I've never done it, so I don't know if it really works.

Hope this helps a bit

·
Registered
219 Posts
Does anyone recommend using a fuel stabilizer* like StaBil, so your gas doesn't take a crap on you? I don't know if it affects turbo cars or anything so......

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice tangent but back to the question at hand
I've heard gas will seperate after sitting so why would you fill the tank?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts