Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to get a ' 98 MkIV with 200k on the engine, How effective would an engine rebuild be? I've had engine rebuilt on some of my other cars and it just wasn't 'good as new' as I hoped. Tranny would be rebuilt, also. How much driving life would I be looking at?

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
dont change anything. just go out and start beating the shit out of it. :bighthumb:

No seriously though. Buy a rebuild kit change all the gaskets and is this an auto or 6speed? If you are gonna rebuild an auto why not just get it built??? New gaskets and belts is a wise investment even if you dont think it gives it that like new feeling.

Alex

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Hey DeathMage,

I think your the same DeathMage on the 350Zmotoring forums. Do you own an 05 CS 350Z? I don't lurk much in that forums anymore, just at my350z.com. I'm just a Z owner saying :wavey:

Anyways, I recently rebuilt a 94 NA (non-turbo) Supra with 172,000 miles on it. This car had 5 prior owners and it lacked alot of maitainance. I took my block and head to a machinist to have the block 0.20 over (I assumed that it would need to be rebored with all the miles it has seen). Few days later, the machinest told me that their wasn't any significant wear on the block and I could use standard pistons and rings on the block. Normally, other blocks I have worked with required re-boring, but the 2JZ-GE was the first block I only needed cleaned up and re-honed. The head however required new valve stems (exhaust side), new seals, typical grinding, and new valve springs. Defintely, you will need a gaskget kit.

At the current moment, my car is up and running and I have roughly 300 miles on the rebuilt engine and haven't redline it yet (only up to 4,000). I'll have the car dynoed when the break-in-period is done (~1,200 miles). However, there is a slight noticable difference in power and feels alot smoother, but the dyno will tell me if my work was worth it (I have to beat 175 RWHP for a non-turbo 5-speed).

Other things at 200,000 miles I would be concerned about besides the engines are: suspension, control arm bushings, and ABS.

If your looking at a 98 TT Supra, I don't have any experience in working with that engine. However, I assume that the block should be in good condition and the head will need some work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FLZ_Boy said:
Hey DeathMage,

I think your the same DeathMage on the 350Zmotoring forums. Do you own an 05 CS 350Z? I don't lurk much in that forums anymore, just at my350z.com. I'm just a Z owner saying :wavey:

Anyways, I recently rebuilt a 94 NA (non-turbo) Supra with 172,000 miles on it. This car had 5 prior owners and it lacked alot of maitainance. I took my block and head to a machinist to have the block 0.20 over (I assumed that it would need to be rebored with all the miles it has seen). Few days later, the machinest told me that their wasn't any significant wear on the block and I could use standard pistons and rings on the block. Normally, other blocks I have worked with required re-boring, but the 2JZ-GE was the first block I only needed cleaned up and re-honed. The head however required new valve stems (exhaust side), new seals, typical grinding, and new valve springs. Defintely, you will need a gaskget kit.

At the current moment, my car is up and running and I have roughly 300 miles on the rebuilt engine and haven't redline it yet (only up to 4,000). I'll have the car dynoed when the break-in-period is done (~1,200 miles). However, there is a slight noticable difference in power and feels alot smoother, but the dyno will tell me if my work was worth it (I have to beat 175 RWHP for a non-turbo 5-speed).

Other things at 200,000 miles I would be concerned about besides the engines are: suspension, control arm bushings, and ABS.

If your looking at a 98 TT Supra, I don't have any experience in working with that engine. However, I assume that the block should be in good condition and the head will need some work.
hey, what's up bro! yeah, I'm from the z forums! :bigthumb: guess many of us have similar taste in cars. I just had my 4runner's engine rebuilt and it blew for the 2nd time, after a hard run. I think it maybe more than I can chew to start with a high mileage supra. I reckon the suspension won't be too bad, relative to the earlier gen models (unless the owner track the hell out of it). I'm actually saving up to buy the new skyline, but having doubts about being able to afford a 75k. 55k would be my max and I want to keep my Z. Maybe should go with low mileage supra.. can't decide...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alx2785 said:
dont change anything. just go out and start beating the shit out of it. :bighthumb:

No seriously though. Buy a rebuild kit change all the gaskets and is this an auto or 6speed? If you are gonna rebuild an auto why not just get it built??? New gaskets and belts is a wise investment even if you dont think it gives it that like new feeling.

Alex
it's gonna be a 6speed. Dunno if gaskets and belts would be enough for me to feel like I just got out of the shower, but that would be a start :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts