Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been avoiding opening up my motor to do the valve stem seals til im ready for some internals[cams springs etc]. the car has only 46 k miles on it and its a 93.5 . some have told me nothing will harm it itll just be annoying smoke on start up and at redlights. others say the valve will have too much play in it over time and will require more than just a seal change. also i hear i loss power and oil is blown by and gettin in places it shouldnt. so what the truth on these rumors?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
My opinion. You're allowing extra oil in the cylinder that will cause carbon build up in the cylinder. And the burnt oil is going to foul the O2 eventually. Depends how bad it is. Valve play has nothing to do with it. I'd think just the oposite. The extra oil going down the valve stem should keep it well lubricated and prevent wear that would cause slop between the valve stem and valve guide. I've heard oil on the cylinder can cause detonation but I don't know how true that is.

·
1st 2jz 240 swap EVER
237 Posts
man 46k and it needs new valve stem seals? is that normal or just necause its older and less mileage...ie more stop and go driving and short trip driving causing more wear and tear. kinda curious to find out when other people do theirs.
Dane

·
its a slow auto...
3,362 Posts
95240sx-2jzgte said:
man 46k and it needs new valve stem seals? is that normal or just necause its older and less mileage...ie more stop and go driving and short trip driving causing more wear and tear. kinda curious to find out when other people do theirs.
Dane

his seals probably went from lack of use... a car that sits for many years with limited use will most times be in worse condition then one that was used, as far as seals are concerned, because they can dry up and shrink...

·
its a slow auto...
3,362 Posts
aside from the little bit of oil thats going through and getting burned up on start up i dont see an issue.. once the cars up to temperature the seals expand anyway i would think...

·
Boost Junkie
12,740 Posts
I switched from dyno to synthetic and the smoking got really bad. A puff every time I let off and got back on the gas. Eventually it would foul out my sparkplugs and cause the car to misfire. I would floor it a few times to clean them off and they would be fine.

My recommendation would be to do the seals if the smoke bothers you. If not, then leave them.

Steve K.

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
My car has 140k right now, it has been smoking since before I got it @ 70k.

·
Registered
82 Posts
FWIW, My car had the same symptoms as what is normally considered valve seals by people in the forum. I knew it could also be turbo seals but didn't know (nor anyone else) of an easy way to see which one it was. I got tired of it the smoke after a few months and ordered a Buschur T66 turbo kit and asked them to fix the valve seals if it wasn't a turbo. When they got the #2 turbo off they called and said it was a turbo seal. That was 2 or 3 years ago and I haven't had a problem since.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i guess there is no harmful effects at all besides the embaressing smoke then? even if it is a while before i change them?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts