Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
D u a l s t a r
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Why is there a connecter that plugs into the center termanal on the back of the guage cluster? There are no contacts there for the wires to connect to. Should there be contacts there? Is my car messed up? My cruse control light doesn't come on could this be the reason?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hmmm, that's a good one. But it might be meant for a connection on the JDM model. Try checking your light bulbs in the gauge cluster, those can burn out in sections once in a while.

·
D u a l s t a r
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
theman said:
Hmmm, that's a good one. But it might be meant for a connection on the JDM model. Try checking your light bulbs in the gauge cluster, those can burn out in sections once in a while.
Well there is a connector that plugs into that slot. It has 10 or so wires in it, but they just rub aginst the plastic, where the other slots have contacts for the wires to rub on.

And by the way how'd that stereo wiring for the sub turn out?
Thanks for asking. That project was placed on hold, because my friend who knows a lot more about car stereos said he'd help me. Then he moved an hour and a half away. Every time I talk to him he is "probaly coming up to visit next week". Then he never does make it. So the short of it is, I'm happy with the sound right now.

Y

·
0 Posts
YEAH! I SAW THAT WHEN I WAS PUTIING I MY GUAGES. . . I WAS RELLY CONFUSED. . . never did figure it out.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Toyota has stuff like that all over in every model they have, they are nothing and its not your problem.

M

·
0 Posts
Josh S said:
I noticed the same thing putting in my indiglow gauges. Do you have a 6-speed also? My best guess is that these extra wires are for the auto lights, but it's just a guess because I've never taken apart an auto guage cluster.
I think you might be correct. I had an auto and had three connectors going to the cluster.....

Melvin

·
D u a l s t a r
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mello2 said:

I think you might be correct. I had an auto and had three connectors going to the cluster.....

Melvin
The auto idea is probally correct. It's just weird that they include all the wires and the connecter and even plug the thing in for a manuel car. Does the auto supra use a different version of the ECU? Because if it is a transmition specific ECU they shouldn't have the auto-only wires for a M/T car.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yep a standard wire lume on a production car is a widely used practice, that's probably it. That way they just need to place the appropriate cluster in when necessary.

M-K-Olsen, I'm sure you can handle that stereo stuff yourself... You seem technically knowledgeable enough to handle it with no problem.

·
D u a l s t a r
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
theman said:
M-K-Olsen, I'm sure you can handle that stereo stuff yourself... You seem technically knowledgeable enough to handle it with no problem.
I'm sure I could also. It's more then that though. I don't have a garage to work in. And the winter is very cold where I live. Plus taking apart the supra's dash takes too long just to get back to the stereo. I had the dash open this weekend, I guess I should have fooled with the stereo, but I didn't go to radio shack, so I have the stuff I would need, and so forth. I'm sure i will adventually get the sub hooked up, it's just not a prioridy right now.

Y

·
0 Posts
once you have taken the dash apart like 30 times. . .it becomes pretty routeen to take it off. . .i could probably have my guage cluster out in about 6 minutes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts