Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
1000hp thanks to SP
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have posted here about my impressions of my fathers C6Z06 a few weeks ago. Well, they are now tapping into some of the Z06s power potential.
Headers/mild cam/intake/tune are netting about 550whp/515wtq. This is cheap too, about $5500. Some guys have that plus nitrous at 700whp and others are getting into FI. The FI guys are swapping in stronger pistons/rods and numbers from their SC should be out in the next couple weeks. But one guy is already at 640whp with ease. TT kits are in the works as well.

The only knock on them right now aside from a new clutch is half shafts. When launching hard they are experiencing wheelp hop and breaking. This problem is being tended to with 04Z06 halfshafts right now. But other than that, they are in the high 10s and will be much faster with just a little bit of time. Just thought id give you all a heads up. It really is an amazing car. I'm sure some ppl here will be very interested to see how their hp development comes along :)

Greg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Why swap the rods, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the LS7 come with titanium rods?

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
GregZ33 said:
Hey guys,
I have posted here about my impressions of my fathers C6Z06 a few weeks ago. Well, they are now tapping into some of the Z06s power potential.
Headers/mild cam/intake/tune are netting about 550whp/515wtq. This is cheap too, about $5500. Some guys have that plus nitrous at 700whp and others are getting into FI. The FI guys are swapping in stronger pistons/rods and numbers from their SC should be out in the next couple weeks. But one guy is already at 640whp with ease. TT kits are in the works as well.

Greg
I'm not sure why everyone expects the import/supra crowd to be so impressd with these numbers. Yes the c6 zo6 is badass but its all reletive. You pay 80K+ for a new zo6 and do some mild work to it to pull out 515 whp or you can pay 35-40K for a clean supra and spend an additional 45K on it and have an absolute monster that would destroy a mild modded c6 zo6. And lets not forget that one doesn't need to crack open a supra motor to make enough power to compete with 700 whp. Sure its a great car and they will get faster over time with R&D but the car is nothign to be "scared" of.

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
GregZ33 said:
Hey guys,

The only knock on them right now aside from a new clutch is half shafts. When launching hard they are experiencing wheelp hop and breaking. This problem is being tended to with 04Z06 halfshafts right now. But other than that, they are in the high 10s and will be much faster with just a little bit of time. Just thought id give you all a heads up. It really is an amazing car. I'm sure some ppl here will be very interested to see how their hp development comes along :)

Greg
ah hah! so you are the owner of that black supra I saw!

Sorry, thread jack, carry on :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well you don't have anything to worry about because you have 840whp and some pretty volks :)... yeah c6 are badass cars but the 2jz motors have lots of potential

·
8 Second 6spd
1,251 Posts
GSXXXguy said:
I'm not sure why everyone expects the import/supra crowd to be so impressd with these numbers. Yes the c6 zo6 is badass but its all reletive. You pay 80K+ for a new zo6 and do some mild work to it to pull out 515 whp or you can pay 35-40K for a clean supra and spend an additional 45K on it and have an absolute monster that would destroy a mild modded c6 zo6. And lets not forget that one doesn't need to crack open a supra motor to make enough power to compete with 700 whp. Sure its a great car and they will get faster over time with R&D but the car is nothign to be "scared" of.
its called midrange power. while the supra lags to make 700whp, they make it with ease with lots of "off-turbo" power.

·
Registered
715 Posts
GSXXXguy said:
If I'm spending an "additional 45k" on a car it pretty much better beat every car I see all day long anywhere in America. For 45k it better eat up a "mild modded C6 ZO6" It's funny, the more I learn about cars it's not all hp. To prove this, GM beat everyone at the 2005 time attack comp with some suspension mods. Shit what about our friends with the Vipers....1200, 1400 & 2000 hp!!!!!!!! Is it ever gonna stop?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I think the new z 06 are bad ass. I gotta give respect to the o3/04 cobra's and my friend is making 796 on 23 lbs of boost with a stock motor. To each his own and who cares about money. Because I can buy a civic for $1000 and put $84,000 into it and beat any car that cost 85,000.

Staats

·
Registered
715 Posts
Jstaats said:
I think the new z 06 are bad ass. I gotta give respect to the o3/04 cobra's and my friend is making 796 on 23 lbs of boost with a stock motor. To each his own and who cares about money. Because I can buy a civic for $1000 and put $84,000 into it and beat any car that cost 85,000.

Staats
03 Cobra + 23lbs of boost on a stock motor = Boom, I think not. It ain't stock.

And I do like the new Vette.

·
Registered
834 Posts
G said:
Corvette Tax. Just like why people spend 6 grand on a Ferrari or Lambo Borla exhaust.
No kidding, if you think vette tax is bad just look at average euro cars. Parts cost 2X-4X as much as parts for Japanese or American cars and offer little to no extra performance. I had a E36 330i ZHP, C32, and S4. All cost cost money to mod. The S4 was somewhat cheaper, but to get 350whp I would have to spend about the same to get 700rwhp on a Supra.

Sam

·
1000hp thanks to SP
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Zylo said:
ah hah! so you are the owner of that black supra I saw!

Sorry, thread jack, carry on :)
Yep thats me! An old Denison grad now. And to those who said how does this pertain to me, it pertains to us because we like to think we are king of the hill and when there is a challenger we should do the hw to realize what they have. I just wanted to be the messanger and let the boys here realize what you will meet on the street or on the track. A little healthy compitition is good for everyone.

Greg

·
Proud Supporter of NE2K9
661 Posts
I am installing a not so mild cam in a yellow ZO-6 this Monday. I will keep you guys updated on dyno numbers. It already made 500whp with headers, intake, and ecu retuned we did. The intake doesn't do much for HP anyway on the dyno without wind hitting it, so it's really an extra 55whp for 2 mods. With the cam it should pull around 530-550rwhp.

For a Supra with the same power, 530-550whp, it would be very difficult to keep up if both cars started equal from a 40mph roll. The C6Z has about a 300-400lb weight advantage over a Supra, let alone a heavy ass Lexus with a 2JZ. :( Like someone also mentioned, when you put your foot down in the Vette, you're instantly begin to haul ass. The Vette will be about 1-1.5 cars ahead of a Supra until the 550rwhp in a Supra kicks in with the average size single turbo being a 66mm. This is all on pump gas BTW. Race gas and more boost and the Vette will get reeled in by 110mph from a 40mph roll.

I have parts to build my SC to try and hang with this Vette I put together. If I can get a 67mm DBB turbo setup, (on pump gas), to hang with my guys Vette till 140mph from a 40mph roll, I'll be very satisfied.

My old Lexus with a 66mm turbo and stock fuel and maf, had about half a car on the same guys Ferrari F430 at 140mph! If I can do the same with my new SC and a 67mm to his Vette, he's gonna be PISSED!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I would give Cobra's a lot more credit. He ran 26 lbs of boost on Kenny Bell for a while and now is running 23 lbs. His motor is bone stock and does not even have cams in it. I will gurantee its stock and its an awesome setup. I believe there are stock Cobra motors making 900 whp ( don't quote me on that).

Staats

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
joel(pa) said:
its called midrange power. while the supra lags to make 700whp, they make it with ease with lots of "off-turbo" power.
I'm sorry I'm just not impressed as everyone else. A car with 427 ci should have plenty of mid range power. Apples to oranges here, different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
GregZ33 said:
Hey guys,
Headers/mild cam/intake/tune are netting about 550whp/515wtq. This is cheap too, about $5500.
Of course nothing new for 2JZ people. But on this lightweight platform, with Ranger running 11.3s @ 127.1 mph bone stock/stock tires, 550 rwhp which is about 100 more rwhp than stock should offer 130+mph traps.

Now 130+ mph traps, on pump gas, for $5500 is new to most. 515 lb.ft chassis dyno measured is not bad for a lightweight NA motor that can fit in a FC/FD RX-7 regardless of being 7.0L or 1.3L.

·
Registered
715 Posts
STAGED said:
Of course nothing new for 2JZ people. But on this lightweight platform, with Ranger running 11.3s @ 127.1 mph bone stock/stock tires, 550 rwhp which is about 100 more rwhp than stock should offer 130+mph traps.

Now 130+ mph traps, on pump gas, for $5500 is new to most. 515 lb.ft chassis dyno measured is not bad for a lightweight NA motor that can fit in a FC/FD RX-7 regardless of being 7.0L or 1.3L.

All stock?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts