Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
its a slow auto...
Joined
·
3,363 Posts
who made that? frank(dss)
time for some 9 second passes......hows your turbo on the street? i have a 67mm with .68 ar right now...
jay
 

·
SupraForums Sponsor
Joined
·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jaynite said:
who made that? frank(dss)
time for some 9 second passes......hows your turbo on the street? i have a 67mm with .68 ar right now...
jay
Yes, Frank made this one.

I really like the turbo a lot on the street...I will pretty much drive the car anywhere except for maybe 13 hours away to a Texas event.:) It is really a great all around turbo for me. I had the 67 w/ .81 before...this turbo is a touch laggier, but easily tolerable...oh yea a bit more topend than the 67 too.:)


Take Care
 

·
its a slow auto...
Joined
·
3,363 Posts
yeah thats what jeff from induction was telling me.. maybe in a few months if i still have my car i will upgrade to one of them...

again, good luck with the new driveshaft and hitting 9's...you'll probably hit 9's on you next time out..

jay
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,499 Posts
Tony,

Exactly what type of drive shaft is that? Materials? Who makes it and what is it rated for? I've had the ACPT carbon fiber for years and never had any problems, but you never know. Sorry for all the questions and TIA.

Ken.
 

·
6 speed
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
KenHenderson said:
Tony,

Exactly what type of drive shaft is that? Materials? Who makes it and what is it rated for? I've had the ACPT carbon fiber for years and never had any problems, but you never know. Sorry for all the questions and TIA.

Ken.
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/item158844.ctlg


did they give you a new output shaft seal too? because you are going to need it. the new u-joint is smaller (where the seal contacts) so you need their seal to prevent a transmission leak.
 

·
Supraholic/Boostaholic
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
wow, thats one great looking driveshaft!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,687 Posts
I saw way too many carbon fiber driveshafts break in vegas. They're probably fine on road race cars but not something that'll be on the drag strip.
 

·
Living the dream...
Joined
·
539 Posts
silvino said:
I saw way too many carbon fiber driveshafts break in vegas. They're probably fine on road race cars but not something that'll be on the drag strip.
We run consistent low eight secont passes on ours. We're running the same CF driveshaft this year that we started last season with....

If you take care of a CF shaft, it will be very durable.
 

·
SupraForums Sponsor
Joined
·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dblegle said:
Looks Good Tony! Let me know how she works.... :bigthumb:
Maybe we can both go to Topeka to try it out on the race track sometime...2 140+mph Supras on the same track, same night.:)

I might go to KCIR this Sunday. I figure I better see how this setup works on a "non sticky" track first.;)


Take Care
 

·
SupraForums Sponsor
Joined
·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KenHenderson said:
Tony,

Exactly what type of drive shaft is that? Materials? Who makes it and what is it rated for? I've had the ACPT carbon fiber for years and never had any problems, but you never know. Sorry for all the questions and TIA.

Ken.
Ken,

It is a driveshaft from Frank at the Driveshaftshop.com . The tubing is made of chromoly steel and the yoke's are 3150 Spicer pieces. I have been told that they use these yokes/materials in 6 second cars with no problems...hopefully they won't have any problems in a 9-10 second Supra.;)

As far as the carbon fiber...I have heard of people breaking them at the dragstrip and that is the environment that I race my car in quite a bit. If I hear of people breaking them I would imagine that my chances of breaking one are pretty high, so I figure I better not go that route. If they had a warranty then we would be in business except for the downtime.:(
CHECK THIS OUT THOUGH...if this driveshaft did happen to magically break at the track (BTW...this is the only place that I ever break driveshafts) then I can go to my local race shop and get all the parts that go to this driveshaft on the same day and fix the shaft that night.:)

Hope that helps...if you have anymore questions/input feel free to reply.


Take Care
 

·
SupraForums Sponsor
Joined
·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Suprasarecool said:
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/item158844.ctlg


did they give you a new output shaft seal too? because you are going to need it. the new u-joint is smaller (where the seal contacts) so you need their seal to prevent a transmission leak.
Ha, Ha...I started to press on the output yoke last night and only when it was about an 1/8 of the way on I realized that it would need that seal. Frank didn't tell me about the seal, but I knew from a long time ago. I went up on top of my shelf and got the old seal box that had the part number on it. I took the box/part number up to O'reiley's and they had 2 in stock.:)
 

·
SupraForums Sponsor
Joined
·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SupraCentral said:
We run consistent low eight secont passes on ours. We're running the same CF driveshaft this year that we started last season with....

If you take care of a CF shaft, it will be very durable.
Are you running the $1,700 one that you have to modify the bottom of the car for the shaft to fit in?

What shaft did you run before this one?


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
TT_6SPD_95 said:
Maybe we can both go to Topeka to try it out on the race track sometime...2 140+mph Supras on the same track, same night.:)

I might go to KCIR this Sunday. I figure I better see how this setup works on a "non sticky" track first.;)

Take Care
Absolutely! May 14th is the VAMP heads up series. I should have the car ready to go then.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,499 Posts
TT_6SPD_95 said:
Ken,

It is a driveshaft from Frank at the Driveshaftshop.com . The tubing is made of chromoly steel and the yoke's are 3150 Spicer pieces. I have been told that they use these yokes/materials in 6 second cars with no problems...hopefully they won't have any problems in a 9-10 second Supra.;)

As far as the carbon fiber...I have heard of people breaking them at the dragstrip and that is the environment that I race my car in quite a bit. If I hear of people breaking them I would imagine that my chances of breaking one are pretty high, so I figure I better not go that route. If they had a warranty then we would be in business except for the downtime.:(
CHECK THIS OUT THOUGH...if this driveshaft did happen to magically break at the track (BTW...this is the only place that I ever break driveshafts) then I can go to my local race shop and get all the parts that go to this driveshaft on the same day and fix the shaft that night.:)

Hope that helps...if you have anymore questions/input feel free to reply.


Take Care
Tony,

Thanks for the info. It looks to be VERY high quality and nice to be able to fix it locally. Every CF shaft I've seen break at the track was because of very bad cases of wheel hop. I'm sure there are other ways they can be broken, but wheel hop has been the culprit when I've observed it up close and personal. If looks are any indication, it looks like you've got your problem licked.

Ken.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,636 Posts
Cost? 'Cause I think if I break anything this will be it! Does it do away with the rubber doughnut?
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top