Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm in the hunt for a new car and was looking into an Audi A4 96-01 models. They are fairly cheap around 7-12 grand. I'm not looking to spend more than 9500 for these cars because I have done my research and they are not very expensive. what would u get ? the 1.8 turbo (150hp) or 2.8L (190hp)

Any suggestions on other cars? I'm getting tired of my 86.5 auto and also lookin into a 3000gt, acura CL type s, or a 300zx.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I say try to drive both of the A4s. The 1.8T and the 2.8L. That is the only way you will know which one you will like. Are you going for speed, or something you can relax in and travel in? If you are going for speed, then don't go with an A4, unless you have more money to spend to buy an S4.

You really need to figure out what you want to do with the car first. Is it going to be a luxury car that you will just slap some rims on or keep bone stock? Or are you wanting to mod the heck out of it? Also, do you have money saved up just in case your car breaks down?

People say DSMs suck, but I have never had a problem with mine. I sold it after 3 years of owning (97 GS-T) with some mods. However, people will say Vr4's suck and some will say go for it! Just something to remember is that the trannies on Vr4's aren't the best. However you will have downsides to a lot of cars. Another example would be 300zxs. I'm asuming you want a TT? Finger tight engine bay, and double everything. Which means twice as much for parts. Just note that with more speed there's they will most likely be bound to break. However, it wont be the case if you don't mash on it 24/7 like a lot of people do. You also have to take note how much you want to travel since some cars will be harder to find than others.

I'm not sure what you are looking for but I will list some other cars:

E36 BMW M3 - Depends, they bounce
N/A MKIV Supra- Can be found cheap but not cheap cheap
240sx - KA-T or the oh so common Sr20det
GS-T/GSX?
Lexus SC300

I'm in a hurry I'll think of more later. Hope you figure something out.

- Devin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey man thanks for the input. I really want something in between. Not too fast but yet I like to get where I'm going at times. I know that the chipped A4 turbo can getup to 210 horse. Which is plenty for my needs. I am a poor college student and don't really want to spend over 10 grand on a car, then again don't want to spend a bunch on repairs either. I really just want a semi-fast, reliable, cruiser. Manual preferred because I am bored with auto. The A4 is on top of my list then 3000gt, eclipse (2nd to new body), acura cl type s.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a chipped a4 99.5. The car was pretty quick. Definitely get the 1.8t and get a chip. With that said I now own an is300. My car went downhill fast after the 90k mark. I spent over 6000 on repairs in 6 months. Nothing huge. Just lots of little problems. The parts aren't cheap either. There is a reason these cars depreciate fast.

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,100 Posts
If you plan to do some moddin' then get the 1.8T, if not then get the v6 because it has more power like you posted.

·
Headlight Restorer
1,107 Posts
so, as for a reliable daily car, this car would be no good?
I was also looking into one. the 1.8T's.
I am aware of the timing belt needing to be replaced every 60k miles, but other than that what are they problematic with?
thanks
John

·
Registered
145 Posts
nureulsaranghae said:
so, as for a reliable daily car, this car would be no good?
I was also looking into one. the 1.8T's.
I am aware of the timing belt needing to be replaced every 60k miles, but other than that what are they problematic with?
thanks
John
I had a 97 A4 2.8 Quattro for a few years. It didn't have a timing belt - had a timing chain, and major service is at 90K, not 60K. I bought it with 70K miles - drove the snot out of it in rain, snow and sun for 3-4 years, and no problems other than having to replace tires & the catalytic converter.

AWD is pretty impressive - you can really stick on the onramps!

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Headlight Restorer
1,107 Posts
thanks for the info Darryl, but when I visited the audi forums, even though factory recommends major service at 90k, 60k is a good time since lots of timing belts from 1.8T's snap or something.

but its good to hear that they are more reliable than other people say to be.

anyone else?

·
Registered
145 Posts
OK - so from a maintenance perspective - you might get away cheaper with the 2.8L V6 then. Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
145 Posts
Oh - one other thing I remember - the headlights went out on me a couple times.
For those of you who've driven the older audi's, the headlights were a short stalk coming out of the steering wheel - like the turn signal stalk, but shorter. Once it went out on me, and I had to drive home holding the High beams on the whole way home! :( Then they "fixed" it - but it happened again. That was a low point in Audi ownership, I must admit.

I think that was changed in 98 model years and up, to a dash mounted switch similar to the VWs. I think if I had to buy another Audi - I'd look for that change.

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
81 Posts
They didnt change the stalk until the 2002 model year b6's came out. The timing belt should be replaced at 60k with the 1.8t. There are numerous reports of belt failures.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea i moved away from audi's because i really don't want to spend thousands on repairs. but hey what do you guys think about the mitsubishi eclipses 2000-2003 I have those on my list and they are fairly cheap I found a 2001 with 49k 5 speed for 10,500. Any suggestions welcomed.

·
Privateer
417 Posts
my dd is a 98 a4 v6 5spd...116k miles and it runs perfect...the people who have issues with these cars don't maintain them correctly...you can't neglec them like a honda/toyota product, but if you keep up on simple maintenance, an audi will last just as long...

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
ricegti said:
my dd is a 98 a4 v6 5spd...116k miles and it runs perfect...the people who have issues with these cars don't maintain them correctly...you can't neglec them like a honda/toyota product, but if you keep up on simple maintenance, an audi will last just as long...
My mom's Audi was maintained very well. She never missed a regular maintainance milestone by a mile. Religious on the oil and fluids, timing belt/water pump, hoses, filters, etc.

She also drove in a manner that was very conservative (ie: like an old lady). If any car should have lasted, it was that one.

I was disappointed in the brake life and even moreso with the early wear of the suspension parts (tie rods, control arms, mounts). The repair on both was very expensive.

A few electrical things started to go around 90k as well. The engine blew at 95k due to what Audi said was a faulty oil filter design. It happened on the highway and was a dangerous time to break down.

That said, it seems ownership of an Audi is more of a gamble than anything. Some people have no problems when they are properly maintained. Others, like my mom, have lots of problems that seem unavoidable. The brakes and suspension parts seem to be a universal thing though, and repair and parts are more than their Japanese counterparts. And it's absolutely correct that you can abuse a Honda or Toyota a lot more and get away with that, but that's not magic, it's because they're more durable.

I wouldn't personally buy one, maybe lease. They rank low for a reason. My friend's gf's Passat is another example: at 40k miles it has a glovebox that fills with water, a heated seat that burned her and melted the pleather, and a fuel pump that randomly failed on the highway, among other issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts