Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an 88 Turbo Supra for sale near by, 50k miles, automatic.

I have no Supra knowledge at all. I tried asking some info about them from one person I know, and I got all this biased crap. While others tell me to go for it because they are a nice car but really have no knowledge either.

Let me tell you real quick what I am looking for in a car.
I want it to be sporty, fun to drive. A car I can get into feeling sad and come out with a smile on my face, feeling good. Have nice suspension for fun around twistie roads. Needs to be faster than most of the other cars out on the road. I will not drag race my car, but I want it to be able to at least do well on stop-light racing(I know it's wrong, and unsafe but it happens). I need RWD. FWD feels inferior to me. Can't stand it at all. I would prefer a manual transmission, but I won't be picky about it since I am only 18 and I will own many more cars in my life.
This is probably the most important part. The car needs to be reliable. Whatever I get, I won't push it all the time, but I will go WOT from time to time. I will let it cool down and warm up everyday, but I cannot pay for huge repairs that may arise.

I am asking you Supra owners if you think this car will meet my wants. I plan to test drive one ASAP, but I haven't had the time yet. How do you feel about your car?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm probably not going to be able to do much to the car. I probably wouldn't even if I had the cash because I don't like taking a chance with blowing an engine or something.

What are the cars numbers? I read on Edmunds it should have about 232/254. What does this translate into 0-60 and approx 1/4 mile? How is the power delivery? Low? Mid? High? What about cruising from 60 and punching it? How fast till 90?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If you dont like taking the chance of blowing a motor then why would you even ask about racing at stop lights? I love mine because the feel and comfort I get when I drive it. If you want a nice daily driver then buy it however if you are even thinking about speed and performance then you already have the speed bug and will not get away from it like so many others here. I also own 2 other toyota's and will forever only own toyota's

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cnewingham said:
If you dont like taking the chance of blowing a motor then why would you even ask about racing at stop lights? I love mine because the feel and comfort I get when I drive it. If you want a nice daily driver then buy it however if you are even thinking about speed and performance then you already have the speed bug and will not get away from it like so many others here.
What I mean about blowing the engine is changing it from stock form. Adding more boost, doing something like that. The car was made to go WOT from a dead stop and should have no problem doing so from time to time, but if I increase boost, I run a higher chance. I don't plan on doing any engine mods.

I don't get what you mean by this
"If you want a nice daily driver then buy it however if you are even thinking about speed and performance then you already have the speed bug and will not get away from it like so many others here."

·
Super Moderator
10,239 Posts
If you buy a turbo supra and manage to leave it stock for more than 3 months I will be amazed. It is a completely different car once you up the boost to ~11psi with full exhaust. I love my MK3, and driving it never gets old.

That being said, these cars are older and even though that is a awesome low-mile car there will be things to repair/replace. Don't count on being free of downtime, because these cars will need it. Make sure youat least have a decent set of cheap tools (you know, like the $50 255 pc metric set at wal mart or whatever) and be ready to replace things like radiator/coolant lines, cam cover seals, spark plugs, change the fluids, etc.
These cars are all attention whores once you get to know them. ;)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Basically I meant that you will not be able to just stay stock. Once you see how a few performance parts can make a huge difference you will be hooked on getting more and more. You also have to remember these are not the lightest cars out there and stomping on the gas pedal from a dead stop can cause you to break something. Once you start reading more posts you see what people are saying about racing from a 40mph roll instead of dead stop. Dont get me wrong in any way, I love my supra and will not be getting rid of it no matter what, but like wreckless said they are attention whores.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
I have owned 2 Turbo Supra's 1988 models both automatics and can tell you that the 7M-GTE engines are decent but temperature temperment. You have to make sure the cooling system is in good order all the time. My first one blew the headgasket when there is a port coming out the side of the block on the passenger side which is plugged off by a rubber plug. This plug developed a leak out and lost my coolant. The other time my turbo blew an oil seal and sucked my oil level down and overheated the motor that way.
So these cars can be troublesome if things are not monitored frequently and normal hoses, belts,oil,coolant etc aren't replaced regularly, but mostly making sure the cooling system is always is excellent condition. I don't want to discourage you because they are great running cars, corner really well like your riding a rail. I still have my second '88 I've got about 50,000 miles on my rebuild now. I put a HKS 2.0 mm metal headgasket in it and used ARP head studs to lock it down. If you take care of it and keep belts and hoses and the cooling system in good order you should have a good running car.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have no problem keeping the car up. This will be my baby and will be treated as such. Sure, I'll open her up, but I won't beat on it. I have a mechanic friend who I get a lot of help from. I also have some automotive knowledge, though it is general.

Will adding cooling fans help at all? Does the new gasket offer more protection? I would get that done if it does. I don't like to take chances. I own a Volvo currently, so I'm used to maintainence, but if it can be prevented, I won't mess around.

And as for racing from a dead stop, with the 232hp I shouldn't even have to stomp down. Even with my car, I slowly lean into it. My Volvo is about 3300lb's, 162hp/193ft lbs. Even though the delivery of the Volvo's power is at low rpm, I'd assume the Supra rev's faster? Anyone have any sort of numbers for a stock Supra?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
check out mbringle's home page at http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/
it has everything you need as far as specs along with the TSRM which is very usefull. Yes a metal headgasket does wonders especially with the amount of bhg's you will aquire without if you plan on ever uping the boost level.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
can u guys tell me the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times of a stok mk3?
also what are the best mods to do first that are cheap and add some good horsepower

1 - 11 of 11 Posts