Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1988 blue hardtop 5 speed turbo. 260 KMS on body (it definatlyu shows) but 60 KMs on engine. Brand new brakes all around, new cross drilled rotors all around, brand new 3 inch exhuast from turbo back, magnaflow muffler, brand new clutch. Only prob is i don't think he has any proof of engine swap or new clutch because "previous owner" did it all. He wants 3 grand canadian for it .Now here is the thing.. I was looking to take out a nice loan to buy a nice MKIII. Or I could settle with a shitty rusted sleeper and have it paid for right then and there. I am going to take her out for a spin on saturday and have a through look at the undersiderside for major rust damage.

What do u guys think? Pay off a loan for 4 yrs and have a sick supra? or buy a rusty ass bodied sleeper supra and have it paid off right away? Theres a shit load of summers left in my life and *hopefully* a shit load of good looking supras out there.. So its a tough choice..

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
i'd rather get a nice supra. dont settle with something yur not completely happy with. if you have 1 DOUBT then dont do it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hello LaDuce

I'm in Ontario, the other side of Toronto from you. I bought almost the same thing, except the body was great, but the engine had a busted head gasket. I put it together and it has been a fabulous ride for six years now.

You have to be prepared to either do a lot of the work yourself, or have enough money to pay someone to do it for you. On the test ride, you should be able to judge the condition of the clutch. Supras have weak head gaskets, so get the prospect up on boost a lot, and see if the temperature guage stays in one place. Any overheating, run the other way.

If the body is really crap, let the car pass. Three grand sounds like too much in any event.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Like Boostin' said: make sure you are completely happy with what you're buying. If I had to go through the mkiii buying process again, I would make sure I waited for the RIGHT one.

If you start off with a trashed, rusted platform, you will pay $$$ in the long term fixing all of it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well.. I honestly dont care about the body. i WANT people to think its a peice of shit. I love being underestimated. The only thing holding me back really right now is if there is any rust on underside and how engine is preforming. As for doing the work myself I do have access to a shop any time so that wouldnt be a problem. again, i am just really interested in how it runs/preforms not how it looks. Saturday is the day to test drive and check out underbody.. any other test drive tips?

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
if he rebuilt the motor and didnt use a MHG than he probably screwed other stuff up. Any good mechanic would use a MHG on a car that has a rep for blowing them. You might want to look into the 2.5 twin turbo models of the mk3 that are being imported to canada since they are now 15 years old. THey will likely be cheap and have low mileage.

~scott

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I'm definately not with you on the headgasket thing. I rebuild my engine and i didn't use a MHG either. Know why ? It's a daily driver (supposed to be LoL) and i can afford a HG 2 -4 times a year, it's a weekend of work... However i don't want to rebuild a complete engine multiple times a year.

Headgaskets are more a security precaution then anything else. If it was ment to be like having a MHG, toyota would've just left out the HG altogether and slap the head right onto the block. Make sense ?

I know a lot of ppl think otherwise and swear by a MHG, i for one don't. Tune it right dammit, stock HG is less forgiving. Make sure there's nothing to forgive ;)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
scottiedawg66 said:
if he rebuilt the motor and didnt use a MHG than he probably screwed other stuff up. Any good mechanic would use a MHG on a car that has a rep for blowing them. You might want to look into the 2.5 twin turbo models of the mk3 that are being imported to canada since they are now 15 years old. THey will likely be cheap and have low mileage.

~scott

are there any other sites like auto trader out there for peple in ontario or other part sof canada? cause auto trader doesnt have any 1jzs

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
If the exterior is rusted at all, the rear wheel wells will likely be rusted through badly. this means driving in the rain = water everywhere inside. If you go have a look at it, feel around EVERYWHERE in the rear wells. There will likely be rust holes. They are not that easy to fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts