Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking at replaceing my 7MGTE and are the HP and torque specs the same for the usdm engines and the jdm engine?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
ECU/emissions...

AFAIK they where rated the same (89+ is rated higher than Pre-89 as well)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the only differnece is the emmsions so the JDM Engine has more HP than the USDM engine. And the ECU. Will i have any problems with emmsions test when i go and get the car inspected? Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
109 Posts
it is just hit or miss with jdm engines because they are still used and you have no idea how well the previous owner maintained it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
getting a 1j would probably be the best way to go if ur gonna get a jdm motor.:bigok:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
getting a 1j would probably be the best way to go if ur gonna get a jdm motor.:bigok:
i dont really want to get a 1jz becuse they are expensive and just want to do a straight swap. Plus i have the wrong tranny for the 1jz. I mean dont get me wrong i would love a 1jz but i dont have the $ right now and need to get my DD back on the raod.

IS it just as easy to do a 1jz swap as a 7mgte swap?

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
There are minor differences between JDM and USDM motors. Mainly the lack of the EGR with the JDM motors which will cause you to NOT pass emissions:).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i was talking to the guy that is going to do my swap and he said that he was planning on taking the intake manifold off my current 7mgte and putting it on a JDM 7mgte. Manly so i can pass emissions will i have any problems? Well thanks for all the help manly i just want to know if the two manifolds are interchangeable?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
yep, they'll work fine...

if it was me, I'd get the JDM engine, tear it down and inspect it, rebuild if necessary, replace all gaskets, do a good HG job with a MHG and ARP's, and then use all the manifolds, ect from your old engine...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so i have been hearing mixed things on other borads. Is the JDM 7mgte a piece of junk? I really hope not. I mean its still a toyota. And when my HG blows i will put a MHG in there. Now in theory the JDM 7m is basicly the same as the USDM 7m so wouldnt that mean thats its still a good engine but it has that HG problem.

·
UT OH !!!
834 Posts
so i have been hearing mixed things on other borads. Is the JDM 7mgte a piece of junk? I really hope not. I mean its still a toyota. And when my HG blows i will put a MHG in there. Now in theory the JDM 7m is basicly the same as the USDM 7m so wouldnt that mean thats its still a good engine but it has that HG problem.
Dont wait until it blows. It will be so much more expensive and more difficult. You might as well spend the extra money(not much) now and do it right, while the engine is out of the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Buying a jdm engine is like gambling you might get lucky like me and get a good engine or get a bad one ....it all depends were u get it from jarco is on the east coast. you might want to give them a call i've hear alot of good things from other members about their engines. If you are getting a jdm just do the metal head gasket and arps , it is so much easier when the engine is out . If you have the money buy an engine gasket kit once u are at it . The reason im telling u to do all this things cause ive done it and it runs great with no overheating and defenately no oil leak . By the way i used my old intake maniforld with all the electronics and keep the jdm ones for back up build her right and youll have one hell of a strong engine besides the one on your car hasnt blown up i assume. You have time to collect the stuff you need and do it yourself.... good luck :1poke:

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Jarco is helpful, but they don't usually deal in importing 7Ms without a deposit. I talked to someone there before, and they want you to pay for it and then they go find the engine. If you're on a timeframe that can be quite cumbersome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts