Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about putting 2 separate amps under the seats, what would you guys recommend? How much power per channel stereo, subs. I am looking for SQ not too much into SPL.

·
Driven
137 Posts
You only need one!

I put an MTX Pro 400x5 under the passenger seat. Very close fit but everything clears.....only had to take off the return spring for the passenger seat.

Amp is 4x125 watts at 2ohm per channel or 4x50 at 4 ohm.
Sub amp inside is 200x1 4ohm and 300x1 2ohm.

There are 3 fully adjustable electronic x overs built in (front,rear,and sub)

Very clean, high quality, and one simple install!!!!!!!

I will post my pictures of this tonight!

The current model is the 405 I think.

Todd:D

try this link to read about it yourself

http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/archive/pro400x5.cfm

Blue Thunder PRO400X5 Amplifier

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll choose the five-channel amplifier when you want a killer audio system. And you just want one amplifier to do it all. Drive the front and rear speakers, along with a subwoofer (and you'll pick Blue Thunder when you want low noise, high reliability, and the look of a champion).
Dedicated Class D Subwoofer Channel
External Bass Control Port
Front Channels: 18 db/octave Butterworth defeatable and continuously variable crossover (40Hz - 175Hz). The front channel has a frequency multiplier so you can change the crossover frequency for different applications.
Fifth channel: Class D subwoofer channel, with an 18 dB/octave low-pass crossover (Butterworth, continuously variable, 40-175Hz). With a Class D channel you get a very efficient amplifier, meaning more of its power goes to driving your speakers.

Specifications

RMS Power measured at 12.5 Volts DC:Front & Rear:
25 watts x 2 into a 4 ohm load with less than 0.05% THD+N
50 watts x 2 into a 2 ohm load with less than 0.1% THD+N
100 watts bridged into a 4 ohm load with less than 0.1% THD+N

RMS Power measured at 12.5 Volts DC:Subwoofer
100 watts RMA into 4 Ohms with less than 0.3% Thd+N
200 watts RMS into 2 Ohms with less than 0.5% Thd+N

Dynamic Power* Front & Rear
65 watts x 2 into a 4 ohm load
125 watts x 2 into a 2 ohm load
250 watts bridged into a 4 ohm load

Dynamic Power* Subwoofer
150 watts x 1 into a 4 ohm load
300 watts x 1 into a 2 ohm load

Signal to Noise Ratio
> or = 100dB A-Weighted

Damping Factor:
>200

Maximum Input
8 Vrms

Frequency Response
20Hz-20kHz ±0.25dB

Bass EQ
(0-18dB) centered at 45Hz

Crossover (Front)
Variable 40Hz to 175Hz
12-18dB/Octave
HP Defeatable with 45X Frequency Multiplier
1.8k-7.9kHz

Crossover (Rear)
Variable 40Hz to 175Hz
12-18dB/Octave
HP Defeatable

Crossover (Subwoofer)
Variable 40Hz to 175Hz
18dB/Octave, LP

Dimensions
15" x 9" x 2" (38.1cm x 22.8cm x 5cm)
16-1/4 Wide Including IsoFeet (41.3cm)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Todd, how well did it fit underneath the seat. I just ordered 2 PPI amps, PCX480 and PCX 1250. Both of these amps have the folowing dimension: 17" L x 10" W x 2.385" H. Do you know if these would fit underneath the seats?

These amp are really nice, the pcx480 has 80wx4 at 4ohms and 160W x 4 into 2 ohms.

PCX 1250 is a mono amplifier with 1 x 250 into 4ohm and 500 into 2 ohm.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Todd, I think I am going to maount them on the back of the rear seats. I think the supra is one of the hardest car to install a system into. I am still trying to find placement for the subs.

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,184 Posts
I can't find that amp online anywhere!!! Even on ebay, nada! That seems like the perfect amp to use for the Supra...nice and small and looks like it packs a punch too! Any one know where I can possibly find one of these suckers? I like how the input voltage is up to 8vrms!

I plan to power a set of Focal 165k 3 ways up front and an eclipse 10" dvc aluminum subwoofer built into a 'glass box in the stock sub location.

Brian

·
Driven
137 Posts
Brian,

If you are talking about my amp, the MTX Blue Thunder Pro 400x5 then you are right it is very hard to find. I got mine about 1.5 years ago on Ubid for $178...........and it was brand new never been opened direct from MTX! It sold retail for $650+
It has been replaced with the lower end MTX Thunder 4405 with almost identical features. It still accepts 8vrms on the inputs Here are the details!

I found it on www.ubid.com for $350....fantastic price!!!

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=522071093

Thunder4405 5-Channel Amplifier

This amplifier is flexible in its design, for a single amplifier/factory integration that makes sense. The crossover is fixed at 85 Hz, defeatable high pass on the front and rear, and low pass on the sub channel. Low level inputs make connection to your factory system intuitive. Thunder4405 also features Thunder EQ bass boost and EBC port.

Specifications
Power 12.5 VDC Input
2 Ohm Load 50 w x 4
200 w x 1 Low Level
Input Select
4 Ohm Load 25 w x 4
100 w x 1
Crossover(s)
Power 14.4 VDC Hi Pass @ 85Hz -
Front/Rear Fixed, Defeat.
2 Ohm Load 125 w x 4
300 w x 1 Low Pass @ 85Hz -
Sub Ch. Fixed
4 Ohm Load 65 w x 4
150 w x 1
Dimensions
(with ISO Feet)
Other Features
15.5" x 9.75" x 2.1" Thunder EQ
39.5cm x 24.8cm x 5.3cm EBC Port

Compare 5-Channel Amplifiers

Check out the technology behind our products.

Each amplifier has Certified Power.

Keep it up - FREE

Compare Thunder 5-Channel Amplifiers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Thunder4405
2 Ohm Load 50 w x 4
200 w x 1
4 Ohm Load 25 w x 4
100 w x 1
Bridged
4 Ohm Load
2 Ohm Load 125 w x 4
300 w x 1
4 Ohm Load 65 w x 4
150 w 1
Bridged
4 Ohm Load
Hi Level w/
Smart Engage
Low
Level X
Input
Select X
Hi/Low
@ 85Hz
Hi Pass
@ 85Hz Front/Rear Fixed, Defeat.
Low pass
@ 85Hz Sub Ch. Fixed
Hi/Low
@ 40Hz-200Hz
Low Pass
@ 40Hz-200Hz
Low Pass
Only
Full Range
Only
Variable Hi, Low
or Full Range
Compression
Circuitry
ThunderEQ X
EBCPort X
With ISO Feet 15.5"
x 9.75"
x 2.1"
39.5cm
x 24.8cm
x 5.3cm

Good Luck,

Todd:D

·
Driven
137 Posts
by the way to use this amp under your passenger seat I had to remove the carpet and pad directly under the seat.

Since you should never mount your amp to the direct metal chassis, I put one of those thin foam tool box liner's under the amp. Also the iso feet of the MTX amps are perfect for that install because they are flexible and You need them to be to make a nice tight fit under that seat.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more help on that install.

Trust me .....it fits but you need to be careful........take your time and you will get it just right!

T:D

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,184 Posts
FORCE-FED said:
by the way to use this amp under your passenger seat I had to remove the carpet and pad directly under the seat.

Since you should never mount your amp to the direct metal chassis, I put one of those thin foam tool box liner's under the amp. Also the iso feet of the MTX amps are perfect for that install because they are flexible and You need them to be to make a nice tight fit under that seat.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more help on that install.

Trust me .....it fits but you need to be careful........take your time and you will get it just right!

T:D
I'm going to be using RCA preouts and it looks like the new mtx 5 channel amp only takes speaker wire inputs. :( Right now I'm looking for a nice 4 channel amp that puts out 100x2 into 4 ohms with channel 3 and 4 that is bridgeable to put out something like 300-500wrms into 2 ohms. Since the Supra's cabin is small, I've decided not to go with rear fill. I plan to build a fiberglass box into the stock location and most likely use an Eclipse 10" dvc aluminum coned sub.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
todd, do you have any pics of your subs and their enclosure? I usually build my own boxes, and i'd like to see what other people have done?

anybody else have pics of their boxes?

T

·
0 Posts
brianb said:

I'm going to be using RCA preouts and it looks like the new mtx 5 channel amp only takes speaker wire inputs. :( Right now I'm looking for a nice 4 channel amp that puts out 100x2 into 4 ohms with channel 3 and 4 that is bridgeable to put out something like 300-500wrms into 2 ohms. Since the Supra's cabin is small, I've decided not to go with rear fill. I plan to build a fiberglass box into the stock location and most likely use an Eclipse 10" dvc aluminum coned sub.

Brian
ANY newer amp (within past 10 years?) except for the "boosters" from radio shack. will have RCA inputs. including any mtx amp.

S

·
0 Posts
HI, I am new to this stereo thing.
If I take out my factory amp, can I still power the speakers using a after market HU? since i notice many of them have power rating of 45x4, something like that. Therefore, I only need a 1 channel amp to power the sub right?
How about the tweeter? The crossover is on the amp?

Thanks alot.

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
if you remove the amp, you will loose an amplified signal to your speakers, and will have to re-wire all your soeakers back to your head unit, which could be an ugly mess. The simplest solution i can think of would be to buy a new headuni, (200$), a decent 4 channel amp(300$).....then use 2 channels to power your stock speakers, and bridge the 3rd and 4th channel to power your amp.

·
651 Posts
Turbomkiv,

I can 100% assure you that both of your PPI amps will fit under the driver's and passengers seat of your Supra.

I know this because I have put many amps under the seats of Supras including mine! I had a PPI PC4400 under my driver's seat in my 94 TT. From what I remember, it is the same if not larger than the two amps you are installing. Hell, when I sold my Supra, it had a Rockford Punch 600.5 under the driver's seat! That amp is frickin' huge!

Absolutely do not put them on the back seat.. they will both fit under your front seats.

Thomas Kenyon

·
651 Posts
Oh yea.... one more thing.

I GOTTA see a picture of that Aluminum cone sub installed where the factory sub resided.

If it is a targa top and the owner still wants to maintain factory targa storage, it will be very, very challenging to build.

I mean that in the nicest way.

Thomas Kenyon

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thomas, thanks for your input. I finally received these amps and they are very long. The pcx480 is close to 20" and the PCX1250 is around 18" in length. Do you think that I still have room to install these under the seats. I would not mind if I have to roate the amp length wise. Thanks.

·
651 Posts
I have never mounted an amp length wise under the seat of a Supra.

I do believe it is possible. The best thing to do is remove all the jute under the carpeting. That will give you a bit more clearance. I haven't had much experience with the PPI model amps your purchased. I know I had a PPI PC4400 under my drivers seat. It fit perfectly.

Thomas Kenyon

1 - 20 of 25 Posts