Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im 17, been working on cars with my dad since I was around 10, been in an auto-tech class for a year. Im not a genious with everything but I think im pretty good for my age and having a job working on cars would only teach me more. :) Lots of people on the forum know me personally so hopefully Ill get some vouches. If you have anything or know of anything Id really appreciate it. I can start immediately.

Thanks in advance,
Jon

·
I CAN HAS WELFARE
3,413 Posts
Kwik Car.

·
Banned
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What?

edit: wow thats like a jiffy lube? my tech teacher advised me to stay away from jiffy lube type places because you dont learn much there and there isnt much room to go up in the business (pay wise I suppose)

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
330 Posts
There is that one Kwik Kar in Richardson that has an 1800hp chassis dyno on site, you could check them out. However, in all seriousness, a job at a dealership is the single best place to start out from in the auto industry. Many people have started out as porters and ended up as Master Techs over the course of time. Just ask around places to see who in your area has the best benefits and the least employee turnover. Some auto tech schools actually lead you into dealer jobs anyway. Private places will never give you the job security, and basic places - ie: Jiffy Lube - won't give you any usefull training.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
ok, you want to learn?

shoot me, but it's true, work at an auto parts store and work your way through tech school

my bro learned a TON working for HiLo/Oreilly, and this was on top of him already being ASE certified suspension and brakes (trust me, he's gooooood at it)

·
Sudafed can't kill me.
980 Posts
GotTurbos? said:
kwik kar hours : 8am - 5:30pm

school hours: 8am- 4pm.

:(

Summer, dude. Or just skip school. Weekends, whatever.

Just get a job at Jiffy Lube. Who cares about advancement; you won't be there long enough anyways.

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Call me I might have a job for you. My Cell (817)946-1067

-Joe

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
sorry to hijack a thread, but my bro needs some help finding a job...

ASE certified suspension and brakes (was at least)

if you got an alignment rack he's your man, he's worked on damn near any car out there suspension wise.

Just seeing if anyone has a lead as at the moment my household really needs some income besides my mother and I...

·
Banned, jk lol
3,871 Posts
Hey guys, I'm looking for a car-related job as well. I'm 16 years old, I'll be turning 17 in June. I've been around cars for a long time, Jon can explain this to you if you need a source. Him and I have been working on my Supra as long as I've had it. I don't know an awful lot, but I'm willing to learn. I'd love to train to become a tech at a dealership, maybe even just a car washer/valet until I attend UTI in 2007. I'm in Justin, TX, right next to Texas Motor Speedway, and have no problem driving 20 miles to work and back.

-Matt

·
7m ftl!
373 Posts
I am looking also. I have been around cars for as long as I can remember. I live way out in a crappy town called Newark but will be moving to the Roanoke/Trophy Club area soon. I dont really have a problem with driving far.

Chris

Matt and I are hijacking your thread Jon.

·
Banned
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea well I know you guys so I dont really care if you post in the thread :)

anybody else have any connections? Summer is almost here!\
Jon

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
You're either not looking hard enough or are too picky. The dealership idea is the best one I've heard, even if you just start out washing cars. Also, are you the one that had the prelude at 2k6?

·
Banned
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Zach90Turbo said:
You're either not looking hard enough or are too picky. The dealership idea is the best one I've heard, even if you just start out washing cars. Also, are you the one that had the prelude at 2k6?
dealerships dont hire until you're 18. I would love to work at one even If I did just wash cars. Yes the prelude was mine, but I have since upgraded :)

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
537hp? Whose car was that before you bought it? This is just me, but it's really scary to see you jump into a 537hp supra after driving a prelude, I hope you are absolutely terrified by your car for a long while yet. Discount Tire is where I've worked on and off for six years, it's not anything that requires a lot of car knowledge, but it pays well for part time work. Good luck with the job search!

·
Banned
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Zach90Turbo said:
537hp? Whose car was that before you bought it? This is just me, but it's really scary to see you jump into a 537hp supra after driving a prelude, I hope you are absolutely terrified by your car for a long while yet. Discount Tire is where I've worked on and off for six years, it's not anything that requires a lot of car knowledge, but it pays well for part time work. Good luck with the job search!
The car is from a guy in chicago, partly built by him and partly by sound performance I suppose. 537 was on race gas... so now that im on pump and low boost its not such a monster. I drive safe, you can ask pretty much anyone :) Will discount tire hire at my age? I already know how to work a tire machine and a balance machine, I guess thats a plus.

Jon

1 - 20 of 43 Posts