Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm currently looking to purchase a classic roadster of some sort. I visited my uncle in Trinidad who had a Jaguar Mark X and just fell in love with older cars. That car however was WAY to big of a project. I want something small a speedster of sorts and must be convertable. Anyone know of any cars I might be interested in. I'm looking at a purchase price of under 10K but right now that doesn't matter much to me first i would like to find the right type of car. Thanks

·
Registered
648 Posts
triumph spitfire? there's a great looking green one for sale near me (i'm in tx). it is in excellent shape and just had some work done on it so it is mechanically sound. i think the asking price was around 6k, and it has something like 80k miles on it.

i would say this though - what made the mazda miata such a hit in 1990 was that it was an affordable roadster that had modern economical mazda technology in it. classic roadster and reliable is close to being an oxymoron. you are going to have a tough time not making a project out of any classic car.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
bug-eyed sprite!

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
Spend $6000 on the car and keep the other 4 in the bank to fix the car.
Here's a few open top cars I have driven that fit your profile.
-E30 BMW< One of the best cars I have ever seen, you couldn't possibly understand it until you drive an e30. Besides this performance mods are easy to come across and the car has the reliability of a Supra if kept proper.
-Fiat Spyder<Bad reliability, ok handling, great engine and the Fiat name. Think of it as a mini Fiat Ferrari Dino spider.
-MR2 (1st gen)-Not really open top, but you'd enjoy it if you think a Miata is a good track car. This one is better.

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
TrueSlideXL said:
Spend $6000 on the car and keep the other 4 in the bank to fix the car.
Here's a few open top cars I have driven that fit your profile.
-E30 BMW< One of the best cars I have ever seen, you couldn't possibly understand it until you drive an e30. Besides this performance mods are easy to come across and the car has the reliability of a Supra if kept proper.
-Fiat Spyder<Bad reliability, ok handling, great engine and the Fiat name. Think of it as a mini Fiat Ferrari Dino spider.
-MR2 (1st gen)-Not really open top, but you'd enjoy it if you think a Miata is a good track car. This one is better.
Good post. Owned a couple E30's and they're an awesome overall car....nearly unbeatable as an overall package for the price IMHO....fun to drive, lots of parts, comfy et sporty, good motors, etc.

My Dad almost bought a Fiat Spyder once, and we drove it for a day while thinking about it. Fun car and not too many around. Alfa Spyder's are also neat and somewhat rare.

MR2, Miata, or E30 would probably be the best choices if you're not looking for a "project" tho.

Also, a 1976ish Corvette might be a thought....not everyone's thing tho. Finding a cheap one is easy.....finding a cheap one that doesn't look like an abortion is hard. Once with a blown motor and good fiberglass seems to be a good route....slap in a mild 350 and call it a day.

·
Registered
154 Posts
:bigthumb: I bought a bright yellow 76 stingray for $5000 a couple years ago. AWESOME condition, but had a knock in the motor. One 350 short block and two days of work later I had a beautiful stingray that really turned heads.. man I miss that car.

Phyte

Northof49 said:
Good post. Owned a couple E30's and they're an awesome overall car....nearly unbeatable as an overall package for the price IMHO....fun to drive, lots of parts, comfy et sporty, good motors, etc.

My Dad almost bought a Fiat Spyder once, and we drove it for a day while thinking about it. Fun car and not too many around. Alfa Spyder's are also neat and somewhat rare.

MR2, Miata, or E30 would probably be the best choices if you're not looking for a "project" tho.

Also, a 1976ish Corvette might be a thought....not everyone's thing tho. Finding a cheap one is easy.....finding a cheap one that doesn't look like an abortion is hard. Once with a blown motor and good fiberglass seems to be a good route....slap in a mild 350 and call it a day.

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
Phyte said:
:bigthumb: I bought a bright yellow 76 stingray for $5000 a couple years ago. AWESOME condition, but had a knock in the motor. One 350 short block and two days of work later I had a beautiful stingray that really turned heads.. man I miss that car.

Phyte
:cool: I'm just headed out the door to finish up the plumbing on the fresh 350 that just went into my 78 pace car :D

·
Classic Cars = Secks
490 Posts
The choice is obvious:

Datsun 1600 Roadster

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
Typenamehere said:
The choice is obvious:

Datsun 1600 Roadster

More obvious choice... Roadster with an SR20DET. :bigthumb:

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,523 Posts
Alfa Romeo Spyder Veloce?

·
Classic Cars = Secks
490 Posts
Phyte said:
:bigthumb: 240/260/280z's are fun. I had a 260z last year..

Phyte

Nice, but not a convertable. :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts