Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the purchase of a Supra MKIV. I'd like to find a FAQ with information so far as what to look for, what to avoid, and some general pointers about the cars. I understand BPU levels etc. and I'm not ignorant so far as turbos and EFI go but I don't know at what point I should be looking for upgraded fuel pumps and I don't know why someone would advertise having put a resistor on their MAF meter :confused: 12volt mod on thre fuel pump sounds straightforward enough I think but is there a downside? What would I look for to see if mods have been removed? Anyone in Northern VA that could hook me up with a shop, club, or helpful locals? (okay, sort of NW VA) Actually a club would probably be a big help.

I believe I'm looking for a car that's had some mods but I'm pretty sure I don't want one too full of tweaks - especially if the AEM computer can replace so many alphabet soup piggyback controllers :) What sorts of mods are bad ideas and would indicate cars to avoid? I understand that at some point the Supra went OBDII, which year and should I avoid those if I intend many mods? I believe, but am not positive, that the AEM computer could still replace an OBDII but... Which years changed the bodystyle? Looks like 97 moved the turn signals out of the way of the intercoolers?

Anyway, you get my drift. I've been reading in here as best I can and hunting through other pages to answer my questions but I'd like to educate myself with something a little more targeted towards a new buyer. Is there's such a FAQ? Have I missed it somewhere? I'm noticing for instance that many cars have light interiors, I'm most interested in black - does this combo not exist in certain colors\years? When I bought my RX7 I was able to find this kind of help and I'msure it must also exist in the Supra world, yes?

Thanks, someone please help a brother out :D

B

·
0 Posts
mkiv

Well I have heard that the 12V mod is only needed for use with HKS FCD and/or TTC. The 93.5~95 model year was OBD I. 96 came in auto only. I am not sure what % came with full black interior and what % with black/tan. I think most ppl with full black keep them. Same thing for 6spd owners. If you are getting the AEM ECU, don't worry about OBD II. www.mkiv.com is the best place to look up the info on recommendations about what to check/avoid when buying a turbo. I have considered selling my BPU mkiv if you are interested.

937.644.8427 work

Peace,
Mark

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Black...

Not so much a full black car as a black interior. Pearl blue looks really sweet as does green. Not terribly picky about color to be honest. The 12volt mod I'd heard was to bump up voltage to the fuel pump I thought?

Really appreciate the infomation. As you can see, I've got lot's to learn :) Right now I'm checking insurance and amgoing to check with my bank to se if they've got their heads stuffed on market prices. I figure the insurance prices can't be much worse than the FD3 I've got now (*cough*).

I hadn't realized 96 was auto only, I'm not sure if I'd want a stick or auto. It sounds like the autos end up needing some work at higher power levels but I'm not sure how much past BPU I'd really want to go. For a drag race that's probably the better way to go though. I've just got no desire to have all sorts of issues with a complicated trans with little local support, at least replacing a clutch is somewhat intuitive much as I hate doing it. I have a 6speed in my 240Z anyway. The OBD information is very helpful, thank you!

Can anyone tell me when various body changes were made? I thought it was pretty consistant but would like to know when the turn signals moved up to the bumper. With so many having body kits I'm not even positive the factory moved them :) Anything ishould watch out for\avoid? Any known Supra problems?

You're a little ways away but I might be interested in your car. Get with me offline if you get serious about selling. My bank and the sale of the FD3 are qualifiers for sure.

Build it, Drive it, Improve it! WWW.HybridZ.org

·
Registered
353 Posts
Re: Black...

BLKMGK said:
Not so much a full black car as a black interior. Pearl blue looks really sweet as does green. Not terribly picky about color to be honest. The 12volt mod I'd heard was to bump up voltage to the fuel pump I thought?

This is correct - our fuel pumps have a 9 volt and 12 volt mode. For moping around out of boost the fuel pump will stay in 9 volt mode but when the car hits boost, it will switch the pump into 12v mode. There are various reasons why people do this mod (paranoia of the pump failing to switch from 9v to 12v under boost, causing a lean condition and possible engine damage, or if they are running a free fuel cut mod, which prevents the ECU from seeing boost on the turbo pressure sensor, which it uses to invoke when the 9v to 12v switch takes place - to name a few reasons), I did it and will be undoing it because I don't really have a reason to.

Really appreciate the infomation. As you can see, I've got lot's to learn :) Right now I'm checking insurance and amgoing to check with my bank to se if they've got their heads stuffed on market prices. I figure the insurance prices can't be much worse than the FD3 I've got now (*cough*).

I hadn't realized 96 was auto only, I'm not sure if I'd want a stick or auto. It sounds like the autos end up needing some work at higher power levels but I'm not sure how much past BPU I'd really want to go. For a drag race that's probably the better way to go though. I've just got no desire to have all sorts of issues with a complicated trans with little local support, at least replacing a clutch is somewhat intuitive much as I hate doing it. I have a 6speed in my 240Z anyway. The OBD information is very helpful, thank you!

Can anyone tell me when various body changes were made? I thought it was pretty consistant but would like to know when the turn signals moved up to the bumper. With so many having body kits I'm not even positive the factory moved them :) Anything ishould watch out for\avoid? Any known Supra problems?

97-98 had various changes made... the turn signals and head/tail lights being the most significant. The seats were also slightly changed, as well as other minor interior things. For the most part though, the cars in terms of styling have stayed pretty much the same.

As with most Toyota products, the Supra is an extremely well designed and built car which has never had any recall. There are no major issues to look out for, although there are some things to be careful for on modified cars (most importantly, condition of the turbos).

If you need any other advice, I strongly recommend spending a few hours on www.mkiv.com, I cannot stress how much good info there is on that site.

-m

1 - 4 of 4 Posts