Supra Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
From the land down under
4,390 Posts
Nice to see a new member being polite when told they cant afford what theyre looking for.

Keep putting away your pennies, and one day, you will be able to buy one :)

·
CHP's prime suspect
404 Posts
Thank you all for the advice I really appreciate it.
Hey you might want to start looking at and consider the Lexus SC300. Im not sure of how much these cars are these days but Im guessing its definitely lower than the MK4.

·
Wheel Whore
2,329 Posts
Don't worry about cars now kid. Finish college asap and get a solid career in the strike zone of your mind. That's what my 40-year-old self would have told my 19 y/o self when I got my first MKIV. I just admire the older guys who have been in the same career for 20+ years with one or more paid off MKIVs in the garage. I went into business which always changes with the tides of the world.

But if you MUST get a MKIV. There are always deals that pop up, you just have to be ready with cash to pull the trigger. There was a factory 6-speed TT black wingless targa out in NY or somewhere out east with 200k miles that sold in the upper 20's.

Alternatively, there are RHD N/A cars that sell under the $30k range.

·
2jz powered
1,677 Posts
^^ Great advice! It's sad to say but it'd be hard to find a MKIII rolling shell for 2k now a days with all these crazy prices.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think a JDM one would be your best bet. I imported an NA auto to my doorstep for 13-14k USD shipping, fees and taxes all in last year. I live in Canada and the prices seem a lot more reasonable. People are starting to get a glimpse of what people are paying for these old cars down south and are jacking up the prices. I sold it 4 months ago for 17.5k USD to another Canadian. It was a clean low mileage example as well. There was a JDM 2001 TT auto with dented front fender that sold for 13.2K USD on a japanese auction + all shipping and importation fees. USA is the biggest market for supras so it makes sense that whatever isn’t federally legal will sell for dirt cheap.

I know some importers are willing to hold your car in Canada till its US legal then ship it down to the buyer. The non legal jdm cars tend to sell for significantly less because the American buyers aren’t bidding. You can always go that route and wait till they are legal before bringing it down.

I’d also agree with the finishing college and saving up part. But if you absolutely have to get a supra now then importing one from japan will be the cheapest route.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Buy a modern generation gto 2004-2006 and save money for the supra. I can't believe you can get 300+hp ls v8 hp +a 6 speed for under 10k. Absolute best bang for buck, supra (mk4) is complete opposite end of spectrum and over 20k for a rhd automatic non turbo slow mfer. Either case you won't lose money, depreciation is over on both cars haha. One day you can sell the mullet machine for a sexy ass supra.

And get into computer programming. Front end, back end, whatever. That's what 42 year old me would tell 19year old me ;). If you are smart, dedicated and can hack it, $50/hr is a goal you can hit in 5-7 years after just a tech school degree and real world skills.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Get a sc300 or is300. build that untill you can afford to get a mkiv shell.
Go to SIV2021 and flirt with mkiv owners. thats how i got mine.
at the end of the day $20 is $20.😉

21 - 27 of 27 Posts