Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been in search for a luxury car for roughly 22k. I want something rwd, decent power and ok gas mileage. Can anyone point me into the right direction lol. I do not want something that will cost an arm and a leg to fix or maintain. Thanks.

·
Registered
889 Posts
E55 AMG would be my choice. Plenty of e55's with 125K+ miles so I'd say they are reliable. Get a warranty so you wouldn't have to worry about it or if you work on your own car; they are easy to work on and there are detailed write ups of anything that could go wrong on mbworld.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Are E55's reliable and how is the maintenance
... Plenty of e55's with 125K+ miles so I'd say they are reliable. Get a warranty so you wouldn't have to worry about it or if you work on your own car; they are easy to work on and there are detailed write ups of anything that could go wrong on mbworld.

keeping in mind that the term "reliable" is highly subjective, i'd cautiously disagree that E55's are considered "reliable" by most.

the reading i've done and my own "luxury" ownership experience ('97 M3 coupe, '04 gs430, and '05 E500) has led to my opinion that german luxury cars in general, MB's more specifically, and AMG's especially, are NOT considered "reliable" cars by most. they need frequent repairs, and when they do, parts/labor are generally more expensive than for the japanese or american marques. also, the fact that you might see "many" E55's (or any other car) with 125k+ miles is hardly, by itself, an indication of reliability; you have no idea how much expense or effort was required to get it there.

the advice regarding an extended "warranty" (more correctly referred to as a "service plan" unless it's a manufacturer certification), is sound; most people with experience will tell you not to own a german luxury car w/o one. like the maintenance/repair work, the warranties are not generally cheap either; consider that the CPO warranty for MB adds approx $4k to the price of an uncertified car.

having said all that, the reliability records of german luxury cars simply do not compare favorably to the reliability records of the japanese luxury cars. if reliability is a significant concern, one should probably restrict one's search for a luxury car to the japanese manufacturers. notables that come immediately to mind, and that might be found within the budget mentioned, include the g37 and m45 sedans from infiniti, the gs/ls 430's from lexus, and the current RL from acura (awd though).

craig

·
Registered
870 Posts
personally if i was going to spend that money on a car i would go for something that i could enjoy for a while, Lexus while boring has my heart on the luxury market. great build quality and reliability, they also hold their value very well. while a CTS-V would be a lot more fun than any lexus in that price range your going to have to live with a cheap interior. and with German cars when things start to break the bills will be adding up while i love the way a German car drives and all the cool little things that a Benz or a BMW has i just would not want to deal with the hassle of having to go to the dealer for every little problem.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Infiniti M... I had a 2007 for 3 years and had zero problems with it and with the sport package its a great looking car. To me, 'reliable' means getting in the car turning the key and not even thinking twice about whether or not there will be issues. The E55 does not fit that bill.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts