Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any suggestions? Please include spool characteristics if possible. Right now I have a first gen PTE74 .81 a/r and am looking to go a little bigger.....maybe.....:)

Can we include prices on the turbos just so I know what to expect?

Thanks folks of SF.

Eric

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
well before that post i would have recommended the obvious choice of the PTE 76 with the GTS wheel (what Mike has), but I'd really like to hear about this DBB 78mm.

AFAI Knew the next turbo you could use was like an ITS GT80/R, and I think the Y2K is in the same size range.

Does anyone know if its true that Garrett is coming out with a new 82mm compressor soon? So that there is a turbo between the 74mm GT42R and the tractor pulling GT60.

Something else to think about is twins. With the exception of this 78mm turbo I dont know anything about, it seems that if you want more power than the PTE 76 can put out, you're either stuck with a turbo that has old technology, or you can go twins.

·
0 Posts
For a 1000+hp on turbos alone you have only a few options, you could go the route that im going to take(most likly) HKS GT3037 kit. Capable of 1000+hp on just turbos. Spool should not be as bad as big singles, but not as good as a set of smaller twins, or even a smaller singel.

Also look into Y2K series turbos. These things cost as much as a new supra but will push 2000hp when properly tuned. But the 3037's will offer streetability where as the Y2K's will offer, ummmmmmm

2000+hp, huge lag, huge cost, and most likly an engine rebuild after boosting them to high:)

If you want a cheaper rought then look at the T88H or mabe even the T78. Bothe good turbos, but the T78 offeres less lag time and is much more streetable. But the T88H will give you the huge power you want.

For the Y2K you can go with either a single which they say is good for an honest 1000hp or the twins and go forr the 2khp. But they will cost close to $20,000 for the pair and manifold, and related hardware.(about as high lag as you can get)

The T78 kit can be had for a for about $4000 or less if bought from the right place(moderate to low lag)
T88 for about the same(moderate lag)
T88H $4200+(moderate to high lag)
T04 $5200+(moderat to high lag)
T51R KAI $5800+(big lag)
HKS 2835 GT $8200+(low leg)
HKS 3037 GT $11900+(low leg)

All prices are of kits which should include everything to bolt the turbo on to the car.

Hope that helps some.

·
-Getting High on KAI-
272 Posts
89Turbo944 said:
For a 1000+hp on turbos alone you have only a few options, you could go the route that im going to take(most likly) HKS GT3037 kit. Capable of 1000+hp on just turbos. Spool should not be as bad as big singles, but not as good as a set of smaller twins, or even a smaller singel.

Also look into Y2K series turbos. These things cost as much as a new supra but will push 2000hp when properly tuned. But the 3037's will offer streetability where as the Y2K's will offer, ummmmmmm

2000+hp, huge lag, huge cost, and most likly an engine rebuild after boosting them to high:)

If you want a cheaper rought then look at the T88H or mabe even the T78. Bothe good turbos, but the T78 offeres less lag time and is much more streetable. But the T88H will give you the huge power you want.

For the Y2K you can go with either a single which they say is good for an honest 1000hp or the twins and go forr the 2khp. But they will cost close to $20,000 for the pair and manifold, and related hardware.(about as high lag as you can get)

The T78 kit can be had for a for about $4000 or less if bought from the right place(moderate to low lag)
T51R KAI $5800+(big lag)

All prices are of kits which should include everything to bolt the turbo on to the car.

Hope that helps some.
:rolleyes: WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN :weed:????
Ìf you don`t know what your talking about, then don`t talk...

LOW lag on the 3037 my :bootyshak
I drive the KAI and I have less lag (4300rpm) than the t88- t88H and 3037 and same lag as the 2835!

Trust me I have been in supras with all those kits!

Not trying to flame, but IMO your way off bro!!!

And what that 20.000dollars kit about :D

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
89Turbo944 said:

T51R KAI $5800+(big lag)

Hope that helps some.
What he said :weed: :D T78 capable of 1000hp...errr...No. What he is looking to do is going to require MUCH more. Have you ever rode in one of the "highway buster" big twin setups? Low "leg", lag, is not one of their strong points.

Ryan

·
Registered
904 Posts
Duh...

Ryan23 said:
What he said :weed: :D T78 capable of 1000hp...errr...No. What he is looking to do is going to require MUCH more. Have you ever rode in one of the "highway buster" big twin setups? Low "leg", lag, is not one of their strong points.

Ryan
:allcho:

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
if you just want 1000rwhp alone then the PTE76 GTS (SP77) will work fine, and its not that laggy at all, at least i dont think so.

You could always get into one of SP's new 80mm or 81mm, but of course it will have a lot more lag, a LOT more.

76 is an awesome turbo, as long as you dont get the .96 AR housing, stick with the .81

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Titanium said:
He almost has the same drivetrain loss since he locked up the converter
very true. The 76 doesnt have too much left in her, maybe 1025-1050rwhp MAX on this baby, but like i said, Its not laggy at all. Once you move up from the 76, the lag really starts to kick in.

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
MK4LIFE said:
very true. The 76 doesnt have too much left in her, maybe 1025-1050rwhp MAX on this baby, but like i said, Its not laggy at all. Once you move up from the 76, the lag really starts to kick in.
He has big plans as far as either stroking the engine or reving the shit out of his setup. Don't you think he could could get higher numbers than a normal engine setup, especially if stroked?

-Olivier

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Olivier Caza said:
He has big plans as far as either stroking the engine or reving the shit out of his setup. Don't you think he could could get higher numbers than a normal engine setup, especially if stroked?

-Olivier
Of course, and if he has more displacement then by all means get a larger turbo, Lag will be less. If he wants to rev to 9K then got for a 80mm turbo or larger, when it starts spooling at 5000 and full boost at 7000 about dont come cryin to me. :lol:

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
MK4LIFE said:
Of course, and if he has more displacement then by all means get a larger turbo, Lag will be less. If he wants to rev to 9K then got for a 80mm turbo or larger, when it starts spooling at 5000 and full boost at 7000 about dont come cryin to me. :lol:
:lol: I hear ya! :D

-Olivier

D

·
0 Posts
Turbo

Spoke with terry at its last tuesday about the same subject. He recommended the 76 / .81 gtr trim dual bearing turbo. He said the map for the gtr trim pretty good, and to use the gtq trim on the auto.

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
MK4LIFE said:
if you just want 1000rwhp alone then the PTE76 GTS (SP77) will work fine, and its not that laggy at all, at least i dont think so.

You could always get into one of SP's new 80mm or 81mm, but of course it will have a lot more lag, a LOT more.

76 is an awesome turbo, as long as you dont get the .96 AR housing, stick with the .81
Didn't you surge badly on the .81? A .96 could fix those surge issues.....

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
racing fan said:
Didn't you surge badly on the .81? A .96 could fix those surge issues.....
Only time i surged was with the TC locked up and in 3rd gear. locked up in 2nd was fine. This was all dyno too. Since i dont lockup the trans at WOT (i like to keep my TC's in one piece) this will never be an issue. I've never had surge unlocked.

Yes im sure a .96 would solve those issues, but ive been in a car with a 77/.96 combo (auto) and it was terrible for street driving IMO, very very laggy.

Since i've been through a few turbos, a couple on my DSM and others im not the greatest supporter of the dual BB turbos. For almost double the cost, a few hundred RPM better spool, and INSANE rebuild costs, i always stay away. Hell i got my 60 trim fully rebuilt for 150 bucks. Dont think a Dual BB one would cost less than 500, most likely a lot more.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Titanium said:
Yeah I was thinking of upgrading to the 77 down the line or the dbb gt80r from what i hear it shouldnt be to much lagger then my current t88h..but I guess we'll see..
GT80 is going to be quite a bit more laggy than the T88H, beware the 3.2 inch compressor inducer ;)

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
MK4LIFE said:
Once you move up from the 76, the lag really starts to kick in.
My thoughts exactly. The bigger turbos are not only bigger (obviously) the technology isn't there yet. The 76 is the biggest of the 'new generation' turbos I guess you could call it. The GT80, the Y2K, these are huge. As for the first guy suggesting twin Y2Ks :weed: I mean hes right, in twins theyd put out a bit over 2k, but youd also spool at about 14,000. If you want a twin setup, there are much better options.

Originally posted by Olivier Caza

-Olivier
Olivier, yes revs will combat the whole lag issue. And so would a stroker, but when you increase revs, you increase piston speed. When you increase stroke, you increase piston speed. Bringing the revs up, and extending the stroke, is going to ramp up the piston speed very quickly. Piston speed is what generally kills engines, not boost, not horsepower. Personally, I would go stroker (I probably am going to do one) and pull back my planned revs.

Like I said before IMHO if you are looking for more power than the PTE76 is going to give, I would strongly suggest a twin setup. Unless theres something coming out I haven't heard about.

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
LYTLdiablo said:
Olivier, yes revs will combat the whole lag issue. And so would a stroker, but when you increase revs, you increase piston speed. When you increase stroke, you increase piston speed. Bringing the revs up, and extending the stroke, is going to ramp up the piston speed very quickly. Piston speed is what generally kills engines, not boost, not horsepower. Personally, I would go stroker (I probably am going to do one) and pull back my planned revs.

Like I said before IMHO if you are looking for more power than the PTE76 is going to give, I would strongly suggest a twin setup. Unless theres something coming out I haven't heard about.
Yes, I'm fully aware of the consequences of higher revs on an engine. I've read about it quite a few times around here. I would also personnally chose a stroker kit over a high-rev engine. I'm just stating what were the possibilities discussed by Eric in earlier threads. The stroker engine will also give you a better area under the curve and more torque through the powerband. Let's hope everything goes well with his car!

-Olivier

1 - 20 of 57 Posts