Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
From the land down under
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
after 3 years of rolling around on stock rims, and putting money away into my jdm wheel fund when possible, I have finally bought a nice set of bronze staggered volk ce28n rims. They are second hand but in perfect condition with no kerbs marks or other damage. The annodised lips are perfect on all of them, the only issue is the person who owned them previously didnt clean them before they went into storage so there is a bit of staining on the inside of the barrel and the spokes thats been caused by brakedust etc.

Does anyone on these forums own some bronze monoblock volk rims and has found a good safe method of cleaning these rims up? I have done alot of reading online and they seem to be quite sensitive to many cleaners/waterspots etc so I dont want to make the finish worse than it is now. The spokes rough finish looks like it will be hard to clean without some agitation of some sort with a small brush but again I dont want to scratch them.

10 years ago I used to groom/detail many of my lazy friends cars for a little bit of cash on the side and as such, I think nothing of spending days or more, detailing my own car so Im willing to put in the hard work to get the best result.

I have lots and lots of meguairs products and their quik detailer seems to be well regarded to maintain their finish. I just need a product to bring them back to their former glory, I was thinking that meguairs "wax cleaner" might work well, and I can claybar them too if need be.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
I would try meguiars all wheel cleaner. If that does not work setup to P21S Gel wheel cleaner to clean all the grime and brake dust off.

·
From the land down under
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have a bottle of all wheel cleaner that I use on the factory oem rims and my camry, but I wouldnt want to risk using it on the volks after some of the threads i read yesterday suggesting that even the mildest wheel cleaners are still too harsh for the volk finish.

Do you know from first hand experience that this product is safe to use on these rims?

I just dont want to make things worse so I cant afford to risk being the guinea pig as it were.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Treat the wheel like car paint.

The wheel is painted and clear coated... so do NOT use any products that are too harsh.

P21S wheel gel is the obvious preferred choice of cleaner due to its balance ph formula. You can spray that stuff on, leave it on the wheel for 1 week, and it won't damage the finish.

Problem is... for stuff like caked on grime from wheels not being cleaned prior to storage, this cleaner is not strong enough. Btw... for regular cleaning... this stuff is perfect. I have TE37's on my M3 and use this cleaner religiously to keep them looking perfect.

Sometimes if some grime is too much, it will be a lost cause, but try the following for as much cleaning power as possible without damaging the finish:

1. MOST effective way, hit the wheel long and hard with a claybar. I'm talking spend at least 1 hour a wheel with the clay bar. Short hard passes over problematic areas over and over and over and over... it should take out almost anything.

2. After the clay bar... the wheel might have a little might of marring from the clay rubbing so hard against the clear coat finish. Follow up with a finishing polish to take away any swirls and bring back some shine. Also spend a lot of time on this step. I would use Optimum Polish as it is easy to use with hand and doesn't require the heat of a rotary such as menzerna or meguair polishes to break down (using the latter will be really hard to use correctly and might introduce more swirls since you can't break it down)

3. Finish with a coat of wheel wax to protect the wheel from elements as well as partially repel brake dust/make washing them in the future a breeze.

I used to be OCD in college about keeping cars look factory new and ended up detailing for money on the side. I guess I got so good at it I started getting loads of M3's and other high end cars wanting me to detail.

Hope this helps :)

-Calvin

·
From the land down under
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Treat the wheel like car paint.

The wheel is painted and clear coated... so do NOT use any products that are too harsh.

P21S wheel gel is the obvious preferred choice of cleaner due to its balance ph formula. You can spray that stuff on, leave it on the wheel for 1 week, and it won't damage the finish.

Problem is... for stuff like caked on grime from wheels not being cleaned prior to storage, this cleaner is not strong enough. Btw... for regular cleaning... this stuff is perfect. I have TE37's on my M3 and use this cleaner religiously to keep them looking perfect.

Sometimes if some grime is too much, it will be a lost cause, but try the following for as much cleaning power as possible without damaging the finish:

1. MOST effective way, hit the wheel long and hard with a claybar. I'm talking spend at least 1 hour a wheel with the clay bar. Short hard passes over problematic areas over and over and over and over... it should take out almost anything.

2. After the clay bar... the wheel might have a little might of marring from the clay rubbing so hard against the clear coat finish. Follow up with a finishing polish to take away any swirls and bring back some shine. Also spend a lot of time on this step. I would use Optimum Polish as it is easy to use with hand and doesn't require the heat of a rotary such as menzerna or meguair polishes to break down (using the latter will be really hard to use correctly and might introduce more swirls since you can't break it down)

3. Finish with a coat of wheel wax to protect the wheel from elements as well as partially repel brake dust/make washing them in the future a breeze.

I used to be OCD in college about keeping cars look factory new and ended up detailing for money on the side. I guess I got so good at it I started getting loads of M3's and other high end cars wanting me to detail.

Hope this helps :)

-Calvin
Thanks for your detailed response.

I wasnt sure if the monoblocks where clearcoated or annodised after I had read myself into confusion last night on a few car care forums.

Ill hit them with the clay bar and quik detailer for a day and see how they come up.

I was concerned that the colour of the meguiars polish might stain the grainy finish of the spokes? Who makes the "Optimum polish" you speak of please? And also what wheel wax would you recommend? That is one product I dont own yet so would appreciate the advice.

Thanks alot.

·
Ninja
1,826 Posts
I had fallout and brake dust on my monoblock te37s and used a claybar to remove it. Worked like a charm, but took a little elbow grease.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Thanks for your detailed response.

I wasnt sure if the monoblocks where clearcoated or annodised after I had read myself into confusion last night on a few car care forums.

Ill hit them with the clay bar and quik detailer for a day and see how they come up.

I was concerned that the colour of the meguiars polish might stain the grainy finish of the spokes? Who makes the "Optimum polish" you speak of please? And also what wheel wax would you recommend? That is one product I dont own yet so would appreciate the advice.

Thanks alot.
he is talking about optimum products sold at autogeek.net, its their brand.. and if you think meguiars sells a great spray detailer, buy some optimum products. ive tried all kinds of stuff from zaino, to fk425, dodojuice, etc and optimum had by far the best spray detailer id used.

also they carry some other awesome products.

if you want to keep your wheels in good shape in between washes, you can do a quick spray wipedown (as long as you dont use metallic brake pads.. best to use ceramic pads or bio (green) pads, that dont leave metal dust to scratch with).

meguiars has a all purpose cleaner they sell.... works like simple green with removing grime and grease, cleans up tons of different things at different concentrations and doesnt stain anything. its even recomended by a lot of detailers to clean leather interiors, and ive used it for the same.

like they said, best to wash it first, id do it with the meguiars APC first. let it soak in it (or the p21s). after soaking, agitate it with a good wheel brush (quality wheel brushes wont scratch either. what scratches is the dirt and grime). and rinse.

take the claybar to it, then polish.... meguiars ultimate compound isn't a bad choice either for a quality hand polish. ive seen some people do some good stuff with it. machine polishing might not go to well with those rims either unless you have some pretty small wheels and pads.

then protect it. a high temp wax (specifically made wheel wax) is the best. if you use a generic wax, it could wear it super quick and not provide any protection at all.. waxing wheels is the best way to keep them super clean and make cleanup easy.

get to it! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Do you know from first hand experience that this product is safe to use on these rims?

I just dont want to make things worse so I cant afford to risk being the guinea pig as it were.

I am pretty particular what I clean with on HRE wheels ;)

·
From the land down under
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
he is talking about optimum products sold at autogeek.net, its their brand.. and if you think meguiars sells a great spray detailer, buy some optimum products. ive tried all kinds of stuff from zaino, to fk425, dodojuice, etc and optimum had by far the best spray detailer id used.

also they carry some other awesome products.

if you want to keep your wheels in good shape in between washes, you can do a quick spray wipedown (as long as you dont use metallic brake pads.. best to use ceramic pads or bio (green) pads, that dont leave metal dust to scratch with).

meguiars has a all purpose cleaner they sell.... works like simple green with removing grime and grease, cleans up tons of different things at different concentrations and doesnt stain anything. its even recomended by a lot of detailers to clean leather interiors, and ive used it for the same.

like they said, best to wash it first, id do it with the meguiars APC first. let it soak in it (or the p21s). after soaking, agitate it with a good wheel brush (quality wheel brushes wont scratch either. what scratches is the dirt and grime). and rinse.

take the claybar to it, then polish.... meguiars ultimate compound isn't a bad choice either for a quality hand polish. ive seen some people do some good stuff with it. machine polishing might not go to well with those rims either unless you have some pretty small wheels and pads.

then protect it. a high temp wax (specifically made wheel wax) is the best. if you use a generic wax, it could wear it super quick and not provide any protection at all.. waxing wheels is the best way to keep them super clean and make cleanup easy.

get to it! :bigthumb:
Thanks alot for your input and info on where to get the optimum products :) Ill look into buying some online asap.

What is a well respected wheel wax please? I have never seen ANY in NZ so doubt we would have anything worth using.

Cheers mate :)

I am pretty particular what I clean with on HRE wheels ;)
Your wheels look very nice indeed. I guess I was meaning, do you know if the product could negatively affect my rims in any way given that our wheels arent the same.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Thanks alot for your input and info on where to get the optimum products :) Ill look into buying some online asap.

What is a well respected wheel wax please? I have never seen ANY in NZ so doubt we would have anything worth using.

Cheers mate :)

Your wheels look very nice indeed. I guess I was meaning, do you know if the product could negatively affect my rims in any way given that our wheels arent the same.

Thanks again :)
Just to put a name out there. Swissvax wheel wax comes to mind. I know optimum offers one as well which would be worth trying. Generally the better online brands that offer a seperate wheel wax are what to look for.

If you are looking for any sort of wheel cleaner that won't hurt a finish. Buy only what doesn't have an acid in it. A lot of store bought wheel cleaners are full of them. As well as anything with a strong dye to it like simple green.....

·
From the land down under
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for all the advice, I will look into hunting down some of these wonder products and report back how I get on.

Cheers :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts