Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an experienced detailer/paint repairer to take a look at my car. Im NOT looking for a glorified car washer/waxer. I need someone that can add paint and wetsand to fix chips, then buff it so you can't tell there was ever a chip there. If they can do paintless dent repair as well, that would be great. Basically, i need someone who can do everything short of totally repainting the car. I'm willing to pay for them just to come out for a consultation to see what can and can't be done. If you have any leads, let me know.
Thanks,
J.

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
I can come and take a look at the car out of my time and give you an idea as to what to expect and what not to expect. I do know that a good percentage of "detailers" do not do PDR or do a good job at it. Usually they are really good at detailing or really good at PDR.

That is just what i have seen though.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BMW:
Thanks for the offer! I took it to a local detailer and a local paint shop this weekend. Basically, it looks like it is not worth it to pay someone just for a touch-up job. It would cost enough that Im better off saving up for a decent basic paint job.

Probably I will try to repair and prep the hood, bumper and one fender this summer and then get them sprayed at a local shop. Ive never done this type of thing before, but this is just a temporary fix until I invest in a really nice paint job.

Do you do "backyard" prep/paint jobs? I really dont want to spend too much on this since its just temporary. I'd also like to learn how to do some of this myself. Anyway, thanks for your help!

J.

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
I do not really do paint work. However, be careful when choosing paint jobs, you are better off saving the money and getting a good paintjob (if you want that is), than getting a 1 or 2 stage paint, and having a pain in the ass of having to colorsand out orange peel in the clearcoat. Most of the cheap clearcoat is a pain in the ass to buff and sometimes can burn too easily.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was probably kind of confusing the way I put it, but I only intend to do the "cheapo" thing on the hood and bumper as a temporary fix. When i actually get the whole car repainted, i'll go to a reputable shop for a real paint job.

One of the shops i stopped at in Chatsworth this weekend told me his "basic" paint job starts at $5000! His "show quality" work was $20,000 or more. If anyone needs that kind of work, I'll get the name and number next time I go by. I think my upper limit when I get mine done is probably less than $3000. I'd just like a quality OEM-like paint job.

J.

·
Banned
865 Posts
I can vouche for Bmw_Neo_Type. He's done alot of cars on this board and I would trust him with my car, as I did in the past.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts