Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Guitar Hero
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, without getting too far into this the wife and I might be forced to have kids sooner than we were expecting. That plan was still 2 years out.

So, I will be looking into a DD in the coming months. Here are important things to note:

1. Obviously, safety is big when you have a little one

2. Reliability

3. Decent mpg, I certainly don't need a performance vehicle (I have the Rx7 project for that)

4. I drive a bit for work (say 1,500 miles a month just for work)

5. It can't be very expensive. Like I said, we are sort of forced into this ahead of our schedule, which means we aren't necessarily financially ready for this. Or as financially ready as a planner like I am, would like.

Cars I've considered:

Outback. Though I'd love to have a newer one, thats too much. (I know Imprezas have shown to be reliable, haven't looked far into this option yet.)

Tacoma xtra cab. I just saw that the backseat in these things are flip down ledges. So, then the only option would realistically be the double cab, but thats a whole lot of truck and getting up there in price.

Honda Element. Man those things are hideous. However, I was suprised to see their safety ratings as well as mpg. Not very expensive either.

Then there is the usual list of sedans.... Accord, Camry, blah blah. However, we already have a Acura Legend, so it'd be nice to have something to complement it. I don't like SUVs. The Tacoma is really the only truck I've ever liked, and I don't like large trucks.

I know it will all come down to what we like, but sometimes it's nice to get this stuff down on paper/internet. Plus, we're already stressed enough with this whole situation. :faint:

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you're not financially ready I think skipping the whole truck thing is a safe bet. After all you will be driving a lot with doctors appts, lamaze class, etc etc. Save some gas money get a Volvo, or the classic reliables. If a truck is a must I loved the f150 quad cab it's like an plush suv interior, plus a it has truck utility.

P.S. Congrats

·
genius wannabe
49 Posts
First of all congrats on the addition to the family!

When my wife got pregnant I had to get rid of my dsm and go the course of the "family truckster" :). I ended up getting an 04 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL. Very nice car with a lot of room in both the backseat and the trunk. Also for such a big car the 4 cyl. definitely had some get up and go!

·
7M till the END
586 Posts
why not Mazda3 ? pickup the may issue of motor trend and read, they compare it to the Matrix, HHR, and the new 2007 Dodge Caliber. they are fun little cars, nice luxury features if you get the Grand touring, and 4 years warrantty. but again, I went and test drove almost every single car that I was interested in before I decided on the 3. test drove BMWs, Lexuses, Toyotas,..etc almost every weekend for a 6 month period untill I finally decided. so do your research and drive everycar you might even consider buying.

·
The Guitar Hero
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a fan of the new Civic. I haven't had a chance to sit in one ect, but it appears that the sedan has grown in size quite a bit. So much so that it might be as big or close to the older Accord?

It would be nice if our next vehicle could have 4wd or better yet awd. There is still hope that we will continue to go to the mountain. I'd love to take my little one up there. Gotta love all the 4 year olds that are better than the adults.

Maybe a wagon WRX?

At least we are having a lot of fun trying for the baby! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts