Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats a good tire brand and model for 450-500hp in a 275-40-17 on stock wheels. Looking for info on straight traction mainly but input on cornering and wear, also needs to be a good daily driver tire as well. Looking at reviews and such but would like specific Supra info. Lets hear what ya got?
Cary

R

·
0 Posts
I'd say the BF Goodrich G/Force KD's or KDW's. The Bridgestone S-03's are also a very good tire. Both of these are very good traction tires along with cornering. Good wear and traction really don't go together with these type of tires. Nitto NT555's are also good. I've had all three and prefer the S-03's but got best wear with the KDW's.

Ryan

R

·
0 Posts
The GS D3's are amazing!!! Got a buddy with an 02 Z28 that has 275's in the front and 315's out back. Awesome traction, both wet and dry!!!

Ryan

·
The new #1 Hardtopper
1,572 Posts
rwsupra.com said:
The GS D3's are amazing!!! Got a buddy with an 02 Z28 that has 275's in the front and 315's out back. Awesome traction, both wet and dry!!!

Ryan
Thats the combo Iam running and have been very pleased so far.Like Ryan said they do suprisingly well in the rain(I did not buy this as a rain tire).I even did 80 "track miles" on the road course at Vegas with minimal wear and decent traction in comparison to r-compounds,which is what Iam used to.

B

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW and the floodgates opened. I have a 555 on the front now but a potenza on the rear that are very worn and was just going to go with the 555s on the rear again to match the front but wanted to hear from you guys first hand rather than filtered stuff from tire sites.
keep the info coming this is very helpful.
Cary

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought about the drag radials but it rains here to much for that to be safe with the kids and all. Hell it was in the 90s at the begining of last week and now we have snow at 2500 ft here go figure!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have PP SO3's in 245/40 and 265/40 on the stock wheels. So far, my favorite tire set-up.

I tried 555's and the DR in the 275/40 size. Ok in the straight line and the DR's were fine for the track.

Downside, at higher speeds and even gradual turns - the 275's felt "loose". Plus the DR's throw a lot of road debris into the wheel well. It's noisy.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I wouldn't leave out Kumho MX's from your consideration. I had a set of those on stock wheels for less than a 1000 miles before I sold the wheels with tires since now I got 18's; MX's felt very good dry or wet including very good straight line traction, good solid cornering feel too, no mushy sidewall. I think the MX is a very good tire and at their price, a great deal. From many other posts, it sounds like KD's have a little better dry traction but not as good wet; and from similar comparisons the MX is better dry or wet than Pilot Sports at half the price. Traction with the MX on all counts was better than Bridestone RE730's of which I had a couple sets over the years.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was looking at Kumhos also a buddy of mine has them on his and he is very happy with them also.
Looked for the s-03s but they dont make it in the 275 size just 265 so those are out.
Great info keep it up. Thanks!
Cary

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vern
The loose comment was that with the DRs or the street 555s?
Cary
Anybody else on the Kumhos?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Shabib67 said:
why do you have to be careful when it goes below 50 degrees
With my automatic, if I kick it in 2nd gear and it hits 19-20 psi at 50 MPH, the back end suddenly kicks way out to the left! That will snap you back into reality!

Nittos do not work well cold!

Al

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
I also run Nitto DR's full-time. If you want traction I highly recommend these tires :) You can also corner with them. I'm running 275/40/17

As for running them cold, I had the same problem with my old street tires.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was going to get a second set of wheels for the purpose of running them at the strip but for the street will need to stay away from them do to the rainy season here. I would have your guys problems all day long, dont need that much reality thanks.
Have you run the 555s if so how did they do for you?
Cary
Ohh Nice car BTW Chuckydoll

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
Falkens are decent( under $150 a tire for the rears) SO-3's are alot better, $268 i think, you get what you pay for.

Brett

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
car and driver rated toyo t1-s the best tire and i run them also great tire in the wet also.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts