Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Currently i do not have a front license plate and do not plan on screwing on into my bumper :) Im looking for a retractable holder that can be mounted up under the bumper FMIC opening and be electric so i can flip a switch and have the plate fold down.

Does anything out there exist? Im trying not to go the custom route and it probably wont be cheap, but i cant find anything online. Do these things exist? I know a few people who would buy them.

thanks

·
I pretend to be fast
1,030 Posts
One of those sure would be nice. I got two tickets for no front place last year so I zip tied mine on towards the side of the bumper. Doesnt look bad and no holes.

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yellow93tt said:
One of those sure would be nice. I got two tickets for no front place last year so I zip tied mine on towards the side of the bumper. Doesnt look bad and no holes.

Yeah i got a warning last week. Theres no way im mounting it to my bumper. :)

·
I pretend to be fast
1,030 Posts
MK4LIFE said:
Yeah i got a warning last week. Theres no way im mounting it to my bumper. :)
With your car, I dont blame you for not wanting to mount it. I just have the stillen front end so it kinda just rests on the little lip towards the bottom. Its better than paying $30 a pop.

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
A lot of hot rodders use these things and I've been giving thought to doing something like you are thinking using one of those retractable plate mounts. Most are electric and guys wire them to display the plate when the ignition is on, but hide it away when the car is off. I think I'd just rig it to a switch. What officer? (flip switch) What do you mean I don't have a front license plate? :D

I hate the stupid front license plate law we have in my state. Wish they'd just get rid of them. Now days you don't even get renewal stickers for thge front plate, so what's the big deal?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just put my front plate on the other day. I didnt want to put holes in my bumper either so I got some 1" by 1/8" aluminum from Home Depot. I made L shaped brackets and mounted them to the inside of the front opening. I put some foam a/c insulation strip to make sure it doesnt touch the front of my bumper. It's up a little high, but at least it doesnt block the air flow through the front opening.

Sorry, my car is a little dirty....

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Espeefan said:
A lot of hot rodders use these things and I've been giving thought to doing something like you are thinking using one of those retractable plate mounts. Most are electric and guys wire them to display the plate when the ignition is on, but hide it away when the car is off. I think I'd just rig it to a switch. What officer? (flip switch) What do you mean I don't have a front license plate? :D

I hate the stupid front license plate law we have in my state. Wish they'd just get rid of them. Now days you don't even get renewal stickers for thge front plate, so what's the big deal?

yes exactly. Im still looking for a very simple eletric plate holder. Im sure its not hard to make, but im no engineer.

anyone else?

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Just mount the plate to a short piece of hinge. That way when you are driving really fast, it will swing out of the way of the air flow, but when you stop, it will drop back down. :D

But seriously, I did a quick search on retractable licenese plates and it turned up very little!

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.cfm/partfamilyid/1485/CategoryID/25/SubCategoryID/348

http://www.donshotrods.com/parts/univkits.html

I don't know. They look kind of bulky. Most street rodders must be building these things for themselves and the majority of them are using them on the rear of a vehicle where there is more space. Maybe a guy could mount a front plate chopper style (vertically) just in front of your intercooler's end tank so the fins are still open to the air?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts