Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ordering the 97/98 front turn signals and after reading the DIY i feel like theres a high chance I can mess something up. I am looking for someone or a referral to a shop that can install this for me. Not sure how much install should cost. Going on a 95 Supra. Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,805 Posts
Its one of those things that spending 2 minutes and drawing a diagram on a white piece of paper will save you a bunch of time. Its really not bad. I'd imagine a shop would charge you a couple hours time aka $150-200 bucks to install them or struggle for a couple hours on a saturday ;)

Matt

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its one of those things that spending 2 minutes and drawing a diagram on a white piece of paper will save you a bunch of time. Its really not bad. I'd imagine a shop would charge you a couple hours time aka $150-200 bucks to install them or struggle for a couple hours on a saturday ;)

Matt
Every Saturday is a struggle with a 5 month old at home haha, thats why I rather pay someone to do it. I will take a look at the diagrams and procedure again and try to draw it out, but I am not optimistic.

·
Administrator
8,805 Posts
Every Saturday is a struggle with a 5 month old at home haha, thats why I rather pay someone to do it. I will take a look at the diagrams and procedure again and try to draw it out, but I am not optimistic.
I get it man, I was not very good at electrical for a while but forced myself to learn and it pays dividends down the road. I am looking and alot of the old install threads have non working photos. If i can manage I will pull my lights apart to take some pics and make a thread but I wouldn't hold my breath. If you were closer I would help you do it myself.

·
Hardtop Crew
6,382 Posts
one of the best mods i ever did had a local sf buddy do mine for me and taught me... might as well put some leds in them as well.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I got lazy and paid a shop to do it for $200. The package that MVP sent me was also wrong, FWIW, so that shop ended up having to do some custom splicing/extension.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts
The package that MVP sent me was also wrong, FWIW, so that shop ended up having to do some custom splicing/extension.
Custom splicing is required even with the kit.

·
Administrator
8,805 Posts
Parts you should have aside from the turn signals themselves...

81515-14390 harness list 30.57
81735-17070 cord list 14.25
82983-33010 wire, list 19.28
90075-60001 socket list 9.02
90075-99080 socket list 8.94

·
Registered
197 Posts
This is a bit off topic. But has anyone here use this after market light from e bay. The price seems cheap. How is the quality on these guys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-98-Toyot...m2a45d7d3b8:m:mSiuMzkK2JSU8uG65l8dtMQ&vxp=mtr

Will that fit with wire harness sold from MVP?
http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/toyot...ation-kit/mk4-turn-signal-wire/i-2280822.aspx

Also once the mod is completed. Will the stock parking light stop working, I would think so since we cut the connection and left alone. But just want to confirm.
Thanks

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts
silver94tt, contact vettewreck. He just installed some of those turn signals a couple of weeks ago. Yes, the wiring harness will work. You can keep your in-headlight parking light, as well as use the parking light in the side of the new turn signal, as long as you wire it correctly. I did this to my 1995 NA several years ago when I installed my 97+ turn signals.

·
Registered
145 Posts
First let me say I didnt do this "correctly" as alot of the Supra guys will say... but I did it for looks alone and bc I'm cheap. I didnt buy the harness kit. I just took a dremel and made the openings in the new housing bigger til the stock bulb fit inside and it twisted into place as normal. It was very simple. Just stuff socks or rags into the new lights so you don't get debris into them. Im not using the small side parking lights. I just sealed them up from the back. Done.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys! I did a TSX hid retro back in 2009. So I have some confidence doing this mod. Also it is nice to know that we can keep the little stock park light in conjunction with the new park light in the bumper. All I have to do is splice to two parking light together.

On another note. Did any of you have issue with the fail light warning come on after the turn light mod? I remembered when I did the 98 style tail light, it gave me the fail light warning. To fixed the fail light warning in the dash, I had to replace some transistor in the little purple box on the side of the gas tank.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts
Did any of you have issue with the fail light warning come on after the turn light mod? I remembered when I did the 98 style tail light, it gave me the fail light warning. To fixed the fail light warning in the dash, I had to replace some transistor in the little purple box on the side of the gas tank.
No, the Light Failure Sensor is only for the tail lights and brake lights. You replaced two resistors...not transistor.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks!

I am done with installing the new bumper light. I decided to keep the stock parking lights in the headlight housings (I can always just remove the bulb to turn it off). Wiring seems simple enough with the harness and the instruction from MVP.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts