Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed some Milano2 seats, and figured our after the fact that I'm going to replace the crap sparco brackets with Brides, but what I wasn't prepared for was how small the seat base was.

I'm 6' 2" and 260lbs., and while I love the way the back of the seat conforms to me, the seat base is way too thin for my ass, I'm talking bone on the side supports - Jenny Craig ain't gonna help this situation.

My question is, should I take the seats to a shop and have them basically remove the side supports and do a custom job, or change them out for other seats?

I think the Evo3's would have been a better fit, but they don't have any adjustability. If the Milanos didn't have the base side supports, they would be a dynamite seat IMO.

Comments?

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
it kinda depends, would the place that you bought them from take them back, i would trade them in for better seats. if you are stuck with them, i would still try to sell them before attempting to have them moddified unless you have an upholsterer that you trust. my buddy who does a little upholstry, said that it is tough to match the materials on newer seats and that matching it all up would suck. good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not being a seat guy, I was hoping that there wouldn't be any need for matching - I was hoping they could simply open up the existing material, shave/cut down the side pieces, refold and cut the excess material, all using the existing material. Again, not sure if this is possible, but I'll go and talk with the shop I bought through (MVP).

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Most aftermarket seats have the normal width ~36" waist and then the wide version of that same seat which is usually ~40".

·
---
2,768 Posts
Any specific reason you want racing seats? They are meant to hold the driver in place and aren't made for bigger guys such as yourself. The bolsters always get in the way, even with me and i'm only 6'0 and 200lbs. As far as brackets, you can have a welder make custom ones to sit the seat as low as possible, but that doesn't fix your bolster problem. You may want to look at the "samurai racing seats" They are knock off racing seats, have the look of them but won't really hold you in place very well.

·
SICK OF THE NUT SWINGERS
1,728 Posts
sell them

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vicious,

I like the support and look of the custom seat, hence the switch. I liked the feel of Sparco seat backs - they fit well. The only thing I didn't like were the side supports on the bottom seat area, they weren't wide enough for my 6'2" 260lbs ass.

I'm looking at the Style XL because they seem to have the bolster fit of the seat backs, but without the side supports on the seat area. Also, I don't think the Style XL is really a "racing" seat. Recaro claims they are good up to a 42/44" waist, designed for big guys. I wish there was a local place I could try them out first, but no luck.

Any thoughts on if the Recaro seat will work with the Bride seat brackets, which I understand to be about the best fitting as well as lowest sitting bracket for the Supra?

Thanks,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts