Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen your mission today (if you choose to accept it) is to diagnose and recommend repairs to a vehicle you have never seen. I'm on an ongoing search for the impossible, a MKIII in decent running condition for $1500 or less, or at least a cheaply/easily repairable unit. Last weeks Supra had overheating issues without enough information to diagnose, this weeks Supra also is short on information but I'll will get and provide what I can.

What I have thus far.
1988 Supra Turbo
Engine rebuilt (top and bottom end) 500mi ago
New heads and Cam
Cold Fuel Sensor recently replaced

Post rebuild the sensor went out and was replaced by Toyota, the car ran and drove like a champ for several weeks and then just wouldn't start up one morning, it still cranks just fine, it just wont actually start. I'm looking at getting the car for around $1300 and I'm working with a budget of roughly $200 to repair the vehicle to meet my $1500 budget. This is all up in the air so have fun with it.

· MKIII Owner
291 Posts
personally, where i live mk3's go for 1500 with thrown rods or spun bearings. is that a fair price... god no. what basically are you looking for? you haven't really stated what you want. is it another supra you need or a problem with the current diagnosed?

· Registered
6,153 Posts
Sounds like timing belt or CPS... If it's a 7M, try jiggling and "pushing" the brittle wires/connectors together at the CPS... Known "crank-no-start-issue." Buy it and hardwire the connection or splice on a new set of connectors/pigtails.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
personally, where i live mk3's go for 1500 with thrown rods or spun bearings. is that a fair price... god no. what basically are you looking for? you haven't really stated what you want. is it another supra you need or a problem with the current diagnosed?
It's a Supra that I'm looking into that I'm trying to do a rough diagnosis on before actually going through with a purchase. The guy lives 2hrs from me so I don't really have the time to make a bunch of back and forth trips to eyeball the car.

could be many things, bad alternator, starter, stock alarm, cam positioning sensor?
Well it cranks over, it just doesn't start so I doubt it's a bad alternator or starter. I'm not sure if the alarm is stock but the engine is basically stock, aftermarket parts haven't gone past basic bpu+ (exhaust, intake, boost controller) and a stereo.

· Registered
514 Posts
Sounds like a fair price to me, if i were you i'd buy it then start to jiggle the cps wires, im sure it cant be nothing serious, Might just be the cps, i paid 25 for a cps and throttle body so im sure you can find them cheap,, CPS is the cam position sensor its the round black thing, its right behind the power steering resavior, just jiggle the wires coming from it

· Registered
6,153 Posts
It's the Cam position sensor WIRES. Thing is, you can't get the connector/pigtails without buying a new CPS... I ended up putting spade/detachable type connectors on those wires in my 87t. The CPS is probably fine. Just make sure that those wries are making GOOD contact!

Cut and solder/shrinkwrap each wire individually (totally removing the connector inbetween). Some are the same colors and it easy to mess up, where you have to switch 'em around a couple of times, if you cut all at once..

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like a fair price to me, if i were you i'd buy it then start to jiggle the cps wires, im sure it cant be nothing serious, Might just be the cps, i paid 25 for a cps and throttle body so im sure you can find them cheap,, CPS is the cam position sensor its the round black thing, its right behind the power steering resavior, just jiggle the wires coming from it
I'm thinking I'm going to take the gamble on this one, the last few I've looked at needed too much work for the money but from the sounds of it there's a chance this one will actually be repairable within my budget.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the sellers asking price? If only $1300, start w/an offer of $800. You are here in CA, non-working MKIII's just aren't worth that much, hell even clean well working stock MKIII's aren't worth that much.
The guy is asking $1500, I'm not sure how much he'll budge from that, he's got $1500+ in the boost controller and the head unit alone. I figure waving cash in his face I can talk him down to $1300.

It's the Cam position sensor WIRES. Thing is, you can't get the connector/pigtails without buying a new CPS... I ended up putting spade/detachable type connectors on those wires in my 87t. The CPS is probably fine. Just make sure that those wires are making GOOD contact!

Cut and solder/shrinkwrap each wire individually (totally removing the connector inbetween). Some are the same colors and it easy to mess up, where you have to switch 'em around a couple of times, if you cut all at once..
That's what I'm going to assume until proven otherwise. So long as he has detailed receipts to back up the engine rebuild and the cold fuel sensor and etc.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is the sellers asking price? If only $1300, start w/an offer of $800. You are here in CA, non-working MKIII's just aren't worth that much, hell even clean well working stock MKIII's aren't worth that much.
When diag on a supra like this situation I always check the circuit opening relay and the fuel pump relay. They are a weak point in a car that has sat for a while.
I'll add those to the list, one last quick question if nobody else has any ideas, where is the CPS located on the 7m? I know I had a hell of a time locating the one on my buddy's Accord a few years back so I'd like to know exactly what I'm looking for right off if possible.

· Registered
6,153 Posts
Facing the engine, it's on the upper, front, left side of the head. Near front of exhaust cam. Loot at the TRSM for sensor/engine pics which may show it better. I remember the sonnector as being a brittle, green, square, 4-wire one.

· Addicted to oil
3,457 Posts
Check for spark, if you have spark the cps is good.

Check for fuel. Is there fuel on the spark plugs?

Next check for ignition timing using a timing light.

Next check for cam timing. Are the match marks on the cam gears straight up with the crank pulley at 0 degrees.

Next check for compression.

Dennis

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.