Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this is pimp's brother. Any ways, i'm looking to buy my first car and I am debating what I should buy. I have 2k right now and I need something reliable to get to college, work, and home, and probably out around town in. I'm hoping not to get very biased opinions, I know I am in a supra forum though. My options so far is

1) get a mkIII with a bhg for around 1k and rebuild the motor.

2) find a semi-decent 89-94 240sx and freshen up the motor.

I like both cars, both would be easy to work on with my brother. But it seems that the 7mgte motors are a little more finicky and need more maintance from what i've read, seen, and heard from others. I know the 240 likes to throw timing chains because of the stock guides wear out quicky, only difference is dropping a jdm motor into a supra is a lot cheaper than dropping a jdm sr20det or rb20/25/26 into a 240..

So, with all that said.. any one have an opinion that may fluxuate my decision?

·
Banned
342 Posts
like u said #1 will work great or just drop a JDM 7MGTE engine in it. thats what ima have to do... if i dont keep gettin fired every 3 months.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Im a huge fan of the S14 240s BUT on the same token, I love my Supra. Its up to you man. Stock to Stock, a 240 will feel more nible and light (if the Supra has progressive speed steering/reactive steering) obviously cuz its just a tad lighter...lol. But its all your personal preference. Both cars are nice, Japanese cars that will treat you good if you treat them good.

If you go the 7M route, beware of rod knock! :rant:

I have a JDM 7M with 35,000 miles when i first bought it. ( www.photobucket.com/albums/a63/supraman06/ )

~Nick~

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^ comments like that make me unsure. I can't have a car that will blow a head gasket all the time, or have a ton of maintanence. I know if I don't beat on it i'll be okay, but for how long?

Thats what kind of made me thinking about the s13. Btw, I love the look of the s14's aswell, the chassis arent as stiff but the price tag sure is higher. I was looking at a 89 coupe, its a straight four, i'm assuming it will get a little better gas mileage because its non turbo, lightweight. Although if I got a supra my bro would be able to give me hand me downs and tips on things.

I'm thinking if I find a nice cheap 240 in the area i'll snatch it, otherwise Ill have to try and get a supra and rebuild the motor, maybe even N/A.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
People talk about Supras being high maintenance. If you go upgrade crazy and go beyond the specs that it was designed for, then ya! Any car is going to show signs of abuse. If you keep it stock, it's a great running car and does not have bad longevity. That of course is as long as it wasn't previously abused and/or rebuilt with no clue.
If you get a stock Supra with good general maintenance, it will last you just as long as any 240.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Well You asked, and untill your supra is running perfect, witch requires, flat black and head, with a metal HG and ARP bolts, you will need a beater car to move about and to save gasoline.

Now I have a Diesel Suv to go to work (wish it was a small diesel but this was my fathers and passed to me when he died) and my supra to burn Gasoline (money)

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
$3600 got me a turbo saab and a turbo supra... saab has 6k on new motor, clutch assembly, hoses, everything. 110k on body and has all the options you could want including heated seats heh. Supra runs but needs work, but the point is...

When i was 14 i decided i wanted a supra for a first car. Then when i was 15 i decided i wanted to actually be able to drive when i got my license, so i bought both when i turned 16. So moral of the story... get a beater and a supra if you could come up with another 2k, go for the 240 and the Supra. Whats cool about having two cars is, you can work on a job on the supra for as long as it takes you and still be able to drive around without it. You dont have to halfass anything and it allows me to make sure all maintenance is perfect before everytime i drive the supra.

The best mod for a supra owner is a daily driver.

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,956 Posts
selz202 said:
$3600 got me a turbo saab and a turbo supra... saab has 6k on new motor, clutch assembly, hoses, everything. 110k on body and has all the options you could want including heated seats heh. Supra runs but needs work, but the point is...

When i was 14 i decided i wanted a supra for a first car. Then when i was 15 i decided i wanted to actually be able to drive when i got my license, so i bought both when i turned 16. So moral of the story... get a beater and a supra if you could come up with another 2k, go for the 240 and the Supra. Whats cool about having two cars is, you can work on a job on the supra for as long as it takes you and still be able to drive around without it. You dont have to halfass anything and it allows me to make sure all maintenance is perfect before everytime i drive the supra.
The best mod for a supra owner is a daily driver.[/QUOTE]

What else can be said. Why buy a car that you want to make go fast, and do it on a shoe string budget. Gettining a supra with a BHG is ok if you have 5k to get it in good shape. That is getting fuel rebuilt motor and and upgraded ct26. :1poke:

·
Supra hail dent king :(
1,155 Posts
Yeap. Why do people think the best rememdy for a BHG is buying "JDM 7mGTE" when it will eventually come up with the same problem. The money put into another motor could be money put forward on the current 7m that you would have. which

1. you can make it more reliable then ever with the proper parts. (full rebuild kit + prepped block + mhg) There's your low mileage 7m right after this. just alot more reliable.
2. save you some time (unlike buying another 7m w/ the same stock head tq. specs. which also leads to a bhg in the near future)
3. you will learn alot more looking at your engine in pieces. seeing where everything goes. so you grow knowledge and reliability throughout this. hah.. just my .02

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Why not a celica supra with a 7mgte? Still light, maybe a little nose heavy, but still ok. The mk3 is already nose heavy anyway. lol.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Honestly... U R looking at foolin' with either of them choices. Get a beater which you WILL NOT F with. I have a 2000 Galant as my beater... leather interior, sunroof, bumpin' stereo, and the only mod I've done is add some wheels. -- Has good A/C and has been reliable/economical. I've been able to go from one swap to another and/or not have to finish "everything" in one night, before having it ready for work the next day.

If you get any car and you plan to start fooling with "having to fix BHG, replace engine" etc, you are not talking about any car that will be reliable for school/work, until you've put time and $$ into it... my 2 cents.

·
Registered
163 Posts
HEY MAN TRUST ME !!! i bought my supra four months ago and i also had my beater goin for me >>> well that broke down and im driving the supra and i dont trust it to get me anywhere >>> i had to stop three times on my way back from school which is almost two miles away !!! because of overheating and little menial stuff i barly have a car >>> so my opinion >>>> get a mrtwo ( yea i know i spelt it wrong but my keyboard is being stupid and stuck in shift ) they come in turbo and there peppy< plus they are reliable especially if u buy it off someone in running condition< and they look good< thats my opinion >>>>>>>>> lata

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
only problem with the mr2 is that they run really expensive right now, atleast in washington/oregon.. I haven't seen one under 5k yet.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
depends what you want, ive driven both its just a matter of what you want.

the 240 has a huge aftermarket, so parts will be cheap, along with everyone knowing how to do swaps. its also very nimble, if you want to autox its a great starter car cause it gives you lots of feedback.

the supra, is a supra, has great torque, great for crusising (sp). i like it right now over my fc or fb (well, tied for the fb, but that project is being sold) is when you know what your looking for its a great handling car, it came turbo so that makes it easier down the road to upgrade to another turbo, and you can get it targa. That, and you don't see nearly as many on the road.

thing on HG, if your redoing it, do it right the first time, just keep up with matience (and upgrade when something breaks) and you'll have a great DD overall like mine

<l><l>

·
231 Posts
If you need something reliable to take you from point A to point B, get a Corolla, hands down. The most reliable car on the planet. Then once you want some fun, get a Supra, not to daily drive though.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
My Sup has never left me stranded. It's had it's issues and all of which was my own fault for doubling the HP, but in stock form, I'd trust it as well as any D/D. I still use mine daily. The only catch is if I want to do a major upgrade then I have to park it but that's obvious with ANY car.

·
Banned
475 Posts
BHGs are common in MK3's, but don't let that fool you into thinking the 240SX isn't going to give you as much problems

Sure, A supra is most likely going to be unreliable, but then so is the 240SX. They are old, cheap and usually mistreated Turbo charged cars, both are going to need some time, work and money from time to keep them in good running order.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts