Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Killing Owls 2 stop O Rly
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think this might be sticky worthy, Ive personally read this like 3 times over, it is awsome.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

Read this BEFORE buying a bike, it will save you alot of headaches AND money!

Ryan

kinda late edit:
REMEMBER: if you are going to buy the bike from a dealer, they might try really hard to get you to buy a bigger bike (engine size) becuase the more expensive bike, the more money they make on it (they make a % of price). If they try that, they are NOT CONSERNED with your saftey, and vote with your wallet and buy from somewhere else! Let them go out of buisness!

·
road hazard
452 Posts
i read the older version of this exact guide a few years ago when i bought my first bike. looks like it's been updated tremendously since i last read it.

very informative and it brings out very good points when shopping for your first bike or a used bike in general.

·
Killing Owls 2 stop O Rly
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hands On said:
Damn info overload. Good thing i'm buying a new bike.

Ive read it 3 times, I think you should still read it, if a friend wants your opinion on a bike... etc. It will still come in handy, it is the most informative thing I have found on this subject in 1 place.

·
Arlington's Highway King
1,099 Posts
I think this might be sticky worthy, Ive personally read this like 3 times over, it is awsome.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

Read this BEFORE buying a bike, it will save you alot of headaches AND money!

Ryan

kinda late edit:
REMEMBER: if you are going to buy the bike from a dealer, they might try really hard to get you to buy a bigger bike (engine size) becuase the more expensive bike, the more money they make on it (they make a % of price). If they try that, they are NOT CONSERNED with your saftey, and vote with your wallet and buy from somewhere else! Let them go out of buisness!
I dont know what shade tree, hole in the wall dealer you have dealt with in the past, but i sell bikes for a living and would NEVER suggest someone buy a bike that i personally feel is too much for them, I love this industry and the people in it, not really out there to send my customers to an early grave

and just and FYI, just because a bike has a bigger engine in it, that doesnt necessarily mean theres more of a profit margin in it

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
I dont know what shade tree, hole in the wall dealer you have dealt with in the past, but i sell bikes for a living and would NEVER suggest someone buy a bike that i personally feel is too much for them, I love this industry and the people in it, not really out there to send my customers to an early grave

and just and FYI, just because a bike has a bigger engine in it, that doesnt necessarily mean theres more of a profit margin in it
Bullshit. I had them trying to get me to buy a cbr1000 when I went in looking for a 600. I was looking at 600's and he's like you know we've got 1000's for $500 more I was like no I'm really just looking for a 600 I don't want to jump up to a 1000. I told him I only put a few thousand miles on my first 600 and never really felt like I was pushing the limits on it. He just kept on pushing and I finally just said look man I want a 600 not a 1000 and he backed off. 3,000 miles into my 600 I still feel I made the right decision

·
Something's fuckey
313 Posts
Bullshit. I had them trying to get me to buy a cbr1000 when I went in looking for a 600. I was looking at 600's and he's like you know we've got 1000's for $500 more I was like no I'm really just looking for a 600 I don't want to jump up to a 1000. I told him I only put a few thousand miles on my first 600 and never really felt like I was pushing the limits on it. He just kept on pushing and I finally just said look man I want a 600 not a 1000 and he backed off. 3,000 miles into my 600 I still feel I made the right decision
its true man, most places dont give 2 shits about peoples lives.. is rar that you meet god people that sell you what yo need, nt what makes them more money.

·
Registered
693 Posts
My job gives me the opportunity to visit bike dealers all over the country. Sadly I have had far more salespeople try to start me out on a 600 SS or 1000 SBK instead of a proper beginner bike, even after I mention I am brand new to the sport. Haven't had one try to put me on a hyperbike yet....so I guess they aren't completely out for newbie blood, lol.

Same old "You'll get bored in an hour/week/month", "Just go easy for the first 6 months and don't go past 7k", or "Its all about RESPECT" lines. *sigh*

I rarely even talk to sales anymore....as a majority of them don't even own a bike and are in it just for the money. The few that I have enjoyed speaking with usually ask me about what gear I have bought....that usually allows them to gauge what bike best fits for what my goals for my first season are.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks for your article as I am looking for buying a old motorcycle for myself and your thread is very informative. With this I am looking for one motorcycle mechanic as to make it fit for riding. I want to insert some more silencers in it as for it's sound. Kindly recommend me some good motorcycle mechanic for my bike repairing.

motorcycle mechanic

1 - 16 of 16 Posts