Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i looking for a t6 (allready have mainifold)bep turbo to use on my stock block (with je pistons but stock rods) 2jz im looking for 700whp. this will be 70%street 30%strip car. looking at the s473 ,s474 or the s480 but dont exacty know what would make a better turbo pick. and what a/r to get, i know smaller spools faster but limits top end power. so somebody help me pick a non lag montser for the street and meet my goals.

· Premium Member
7,355 Posts
T6 and 700WHP? thats doing it wayy wrong. Why would you want the negative side of a T6 turbo with out any of the benefits?
To say nothing of the whole T6/stock block idea...

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
T6 and 700WHP? thats doing it wayy wrong. Why would you want the negative side of a T6 turbo with out any of the benefits?
what negative sides are you refering to? without the benefits? please explain. i thought the big difference was the the t6 turbos made more for high hp top end cars. i could use a adapter to a t4 or cut off and reweld at4 mount on it but i dint want to thats why im looking for a t6 turbo

· Registered
917 Posts
i could use a adapter to a t4 or cut off and reweld at4 mount on it

Do that or sell that manifold and buy one built for a T4 turbo. For your goals the T4 frame makes much more sense.

· Registered
7,464 Posts
what negative sides are you refering to? without the benefits? please explain. i thought the big difference was the the t6 turbos made more for high hp top end cars. i could use a adapter to a t4 or cut off and reweld at4 mount on it but i dint want to thats why im looking for a t6 turbo

they're referring to the fact that the large frame T6 turbos (gt4708/4718/5591, BW/BEP S4xx series, others with 80mm and larger compressor inducers...) are rated at power levels from like 700 - 1200+ hp, so they'll make your target 700hp at like 1bar of boost, WAAAY below their efficiency range (PR's >2)... and they're 'laggy', so they won't make 1 bar of boost until like 5500+ rpm (prolly closer to 6K). on a stock block, that only gives you a 1500 rpm powerband.

generally, large frame T6 turbos are 'top end' specific when used on relatively small motors like ours. they make big power, but do so at high rpm ranges and really require a motor built to rev (non-OEM rods/pistons and valve train, at least moderately high-lift cams, etc...).

no sense using a turbo that makes big power from 6K-9K rpm if your motor isn't built to handle it... doing so leaves you with 'all the negatives' (wake me when it hits lag, metal parts in your oil pan, etc...), without the 'benefits' (shit your pants top end hit, black lines at 100+, etc...).

if your goal is 700 or so whp on a stock bottom end, you're MUCH better off using a mid-frame turbo like a gt4294/4202, BW/BEP S366/372, or others with a 66'ish-74'ish mm compressor inducer; these turbos will be entering the 'sweet spot' of their efficiency range at PR's of 1.5, and are actually rated at like 600-800 or so hp (some are even available with T6 turbine housings... i know the 4202 is).

my 2 cents... hope it helps!
craig

· Registered
7,464 Posts
no sweat Mike... Garett has at least a couple of T6 housings for the gt42... you might look there first.
craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.