Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Turbocharger Engineer
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm looking at purchasing a single kit without the turbo, since I have the turbo part covered. Which kit is the best and cheapest?? I've looked an Boost Logic and SP, but are their any others that are priced better without the turbo then those 2 kits??

Thanks

Jose

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
whats your price range?

J

·
0 Posts
I'm not really set on a price, I'm just looking for the best deal. I want to stay tubular, no cast manifolds. I am really impressed by the BL's look and 1 3/4 setup though.

Sorry I had to change user ID's, cause my JZ 97 SS 1500, keeps hosing up and locking me out.

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
Well it depends on what turbo you already have. Depending on that would determine which manifold/kit you could get since some headers are for divided housings and other variables like that.

J

·
0 Posts
The turbo is a un-divded housing and it uses a V-band clamp on the exhaust, so it should work with any of the systems out there except Greddy's downpipe, which uses the donut flanges.

Jose

J

·
0 Posts
Called SP, 3200 w/out turbo....hardly what I would call a deal. BL's kit is looking better by the minute. I don't think anyone else has a kit without the turbo out there.....

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
JZ 97 SS said:
Called SP, 3200 w/out turbo....hardly what I would call a deal. BL's kit is looking better by the minute. I don't think anyone else has a kit without the turbo out there.....

Ours has a HKS racing BOV II, theirs doesnt. Its retail price is over $500. Ours has a GT wastegate, theirs doesnt!!

·
SAP R/3 Guru
834 Posts
BL have "NEW!! SS304 Piping for our BL Single Turbo Kit's
We are now including polished SS304 Downpipes and Midpipes with our turbo kits. Pictured to the left is one of the many pipes we have all ready to go with your order."
Does SP have this, i think not ? SP vs BL 1-1

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Mr Zohare:

From the HKS website :

The GT Wastegate is the highest flowing of the HKS Wastegates. Its 60mm diameter valve is design to accommodate high output applications producing from 600 horsepower to well beyond 1000 horsepower. The adjustable rate GT wastegate spring is specifically engineered to provide ample resistance to the extreme exhaust pressure developed by these high output applications. The enhanced diaphragm and spring design being provides stable consistent boost levels by preventing the valve from over opening and releasing exhaust energy. Despite its complex structure, the GT Wastegate is a very compact unit that utilizes a V-band inlet and outlet structure that provides extremely smooth flow characteristics and better sealing at high temperatures. The use of V-band clamps also offers extremely versatile mounting and adjustment options for custom applications.

Just because it cost more does not mean anything.

I guess my question is why would you use a WG that cost more and flows less?

I do not want to get into a pissing war with BL/PM as I really like Chris and Kean and I think their kit is a great deal. I just want to point out the details.

Our kit does not have SS exhaust piping, but it is ceramic coated. Our header is 321 SS though. Our kit has a BOV, I do not think the BL kit does??

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
"Ours has a HKS racing BOV II, theirs doesnt. Its retail price is over $500. "

my point was just to compare retail prices like you were in your other post. :)

Taken directly from the HKS Website :biggrin: :

HKS Racing Wastegate S/S are :hail:race proven external units constructed with die-cast mounting base structures and valve seats, fully sealed shafts, high temperature resistant diaphragms & utilize 50mm valves to support up to 1000 horsepower turbo applications.

These are both great wastegates. There is never a problem controlling boost with either 50mm or 60mm wastegates. A big influence on boost control is in the wastegate piping design.

The BL kit comes with 321 Header and polished seamless SS304 downpipe and midpipe. It does NOT come with a BOV.

Hope this clears some stuff up. :p

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
I agree. WG routing is most important. Yours also features the WG routed back into the DP right? Not the Ghetto Greddy style ? God how that ruins the sound of a beautiful engine!!

I chose the GT WG for our kits because the racing was only rated to 1000 hp. Any 74 or larger turbo when pushed hard will produce more than 1000 crank HP. Although it may not happen, there is a chance for uncontrollable boost or creep with the smaller WG at that HP levles. This is what I have been told by HKS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts