Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have a 1995 Supra SE, and I want to do something about the open mouth piece on the front bumper. The above image was taken in 2013, but it's about the same ever since then just with some paint peeling off. Anyhow, I've been searching online about installing a grille mesh, but that's highly unlikely because of the incredibly small structure within the mouth.

So now, I've decided to look into the grille bar that's on the 97-98 models and see if I could put it for mine. From my understanding, I'm guessing it's this part:
http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~grille~radiator~lower~53112-14070-C0.html

Has anyone ever successfully did this? Are there extra drilling or such that needs to be done? Please let me know, fellow Supra owners! :D

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
93-96 bumpers have to be drilled for the mounts on each side.

97-98 bumpers are pre-drilled.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Super easy to do, the bar comes pre painted, two screws / hole per side

·
Registered
241 Posts
Make sure you order 4 screws as well with washers. They don't come with the painted grill.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure you order 4 screws as well with washers. They don't come with the painted grill.
Aha! That is what I was wondering about. Thank you for this input!

Is there any other concerns such as molding issues? I've been doing research around the forums to come across someone having some sort of misplacement when installing this to fit the molding of the area. Any cautions I should take with this? http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?215526-Installing-97-98-front-grill/page2

·
Registered
241 Posts
Pat number 90159-50322. It's on the same page as with the grill. Last item on that page. Make sure you order quantity of four. Price is for 1 screw/washer. I don't think you will have any issues. Once you actually receive the grill, you'll see that it's straight forward.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Some of the colors are discontinued, so if yours are, you will need to order a different color and have it re-painted.

·
592 Posts
I did this mod on my car. You will have to drill holes. Be careful and you will be fine. Well worth it as I have always felt the front needed something in that space.

·
Cardinals!
1,546 Posts
The 98 turn signals are another massive improvement over the earlier style - see the above pic. They'll also require a little drilling/filing to the 93-96 bumper for the side bolt of each turn signal, and the wiring harness will require an adapter.

·
Boost Junkie
12,615 Posts
I personally like the cross bar as well. Looks great.

Steve

·
Registered
135 Posts
Pat number 90159-50322. It's on the same page as with the grill. Last item on that page. Make sure you order quantity of four. Price is for 1 screw/washer. I don't think you will have any issues. Once you actually receive the grill, you'll see that it's straight forward.
I love the 97-98 front end as a whole. I recently ordered the bumper, headlights, turn signals and grill insert... Didn't get the screws and washers. Thank you for mentioning that!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 98 turn signals are another massive improvement over the earlier style - see the above pic. They'll also require a little drilling/filing to the 93-96 bumper for the side bolt of each turn signal, and the wiring harness will require an adapter.
I love the 97-98 front end as a whole. I recently ordered the bumper, headlights, turn signals and grill insert... Didn't get the screws and washers. Thank you for mentioning that!
I would also consider the turn signals too. I've replaced my headlights back then too with the OEM glass ones I purchased from MVP Motorsports. Is it necessary to get the bumper though? The turn signals seem a little more angled on the above picture of IMAGINETHAT's Supra.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would also consider the turn signals too. I've replaced my headlights back then too with the OEM glass ones I purchased from MVP Motorsports. Is it necessary to get the bumper though? The turn signals seem a little more angled on the above picture of IMAGINETHAT's Supra.
Not necessary at all, my original bumper is torn where it bolts up to the fender is why I ordered a new one. Also the 93-96 are discontinued.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to be extra clear, installing the grille piece won't require removing the front bumper, will it?

·
Registered
197 Posts
The silver cross bar is discontinued so I got a white one instead. Do I have to strip out the paint first before respray to silver?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The silver cross bar is discontinued so I got a white one instead. Do I have to strip out the paint first before respray to silver?
Don't strip it completely off, just a light sand since it's plastic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts