Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For two years I've struggled with my car's tendency to suddenly shut down for no apparent reason. I would be cruising down the highway and the engine would suddenly just shut off.

I've heard dozens of potential fixes (fuses, relays, fuel pump issues, ground problems, battery issues, fuel system issues, you name it), with none of them working.

Well, I think I've found the problem and the solution. The guy at AEM told me to stomp my foot on the floorboard while the car was running and see if the idle was affected. If so, I had a "loose chip" and I needed to open the AEM unit and press down on the chip.

So I'm driving along and I asked the passenger to stomp their left foot on the floorboard about where the AEM is. The car stalled, so I opened the AEM and pressed down on the chip.

Since I did the loose chip fix, I have now driven for about three weeks with no problems. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two reasons they say they won't warranty: I'm not the original owner/buyer of the AEM, and the AEM had been opened before, which voids warranties according to the AEM technician I spoke with. It doesn't matter to me really. If this fix works, I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You would think, but it seems to be working fine since I tightened the chip (pushed it back down). Now we just need to see if it stays put.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem is back! Nothing can stop this. It's like global warming.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Is the chip in a socket or is it soldered?

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Wait a sec.... They told you to stomp on it and if it struggles you should open it and press down that chip..So far so good. And later they say: No warranty because it has been opened??? WTF??? Are they retarded or what? Then they should tell you to send it in when it starts to struggle while stomping on it..
Some people are really geniuses:dunno:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree. But even if the warranty might have been good, I could see that the ECU had already been opened before I bought the car. The tape seal had been broken.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
The loose chip is something that usually happens in shipping (chucking it around).

Out of curiosity, what spark plugs are you using (they may have something to do with the stall)? What do internal logs show after you catch a stall on one?

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
Holy crap, glad I stumbled onto this. I have had this happen twice recently in my car. A male passenger will enter, put his feet into the floor board, and the car would stall. Got into a long boost pull once and he must have been scared and pushing down hard because the car kept losing power and first thought was that I lost my motor. I thought I had a loose power connection or something. I'll keep this in mind should it become a regular problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plugs are whatever Justin Neni put in when he tuned it. The tune is fantastic.
Shop just called and said they found the new problem: bad wiring job around the relays. They re-wired and said it's now working fine. So.... I'm going to assume that the problem is fixed, but I'm going to always keep in mind that the loose chip can return!!!!

·
Somebody's Watching Me!
1,876 Posts
hey jim i have been looking for this thread for about 2 hours get back to me about what they changed cause i have the same problem and its pissing me off i think i should send in the aem unit to see if its bad or not thanks david

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. It looks like I had two problems: loose chip in the AEM and a shoddy wiring job back at the fuel pumps. Both have been fixed and the car is running reliably for about the last 350 miles. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
If your car stalls or sputters when you hit a certain bump just right, or someone stomps on the passenger side under the dash, you've got a loose chip and you need to open the AEM and gently press down on the chips. Talk to AEM about it and see what they say.
The shop said that the wiring plan for my fuel pumps was genius, but the workmanship was crap. They rewired it and we all hope the problems are over.

·
Registered
9,739 Posts
I dont understand why AEM doesnt RTV the chips once in place?

Jason

·
Somebody's Watching Me!
1,876 Posts
hey jim which chip is loose do you have a pic or anything like that thanks david

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No need for pic. There are four screws that you must remove to open the AEM box. When the box is opened, you will see a black chip right at the opening. It is flat, black, plastic on top and about the size and shape of a chicklet. All you need to do is put your index finger on top of it a gently press down. There are two other black plastic on top pieces that look similar and I pressed them down too just in case they were loose.

I would not advise touching anything else in the box!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts