Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day when I did a coolant flush, I was hearing a little "whirring" noise coming from the water pump, alternator area. I didnt see anything uncommon and I checked for play in both of them with the belt off. Also, there wasnt nothing abnormal occuring with the car. It pulled just as hard, never overheated, and the power was fine.

A few days ago I decided to install a MBC to see if my boost doesnt' fall off at higher rpm. I have a T-58 turbo(TS04), and the boost would fall down to 15 psi near redline, so I wanted to know what was up!Perhaps my Profec B solenoid was starting to let go. When I was putting it in quickly, I noticed the timing belt didn't look tight at all. Inbetween the two cam gears,the belt was curved upward. So I pushed on the belt and surprisingly, it was loose.

The car was running fine and without ANY problems, so how come can this just happen.

So I decided to take off the covers and the harmonic balancer(took me an hour, a record), and I looked at what could've gone wrong, and not surprisingly, it was the idle, But I didn't know THIS was going to happen.

The car will have some down time until I get all the parts back. But what are the chances of THAT happening to someone. heh. Lucky me!!

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
But what are the chances of THAT happening to someone. heh. Lucky me!!

Pretty good, seeing as SP sells upgraded versions of those.. =)

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
raven97990 said:
Pretty good, seeing as SP sells upgraded versions of those.. =)

I dont get it. I search for SP's website, and I can't find one. How am I going to be able to find their parts if there is no website, other than calling them.

But good to know, I'll look into it.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I have a spare bracket for sale if you want it. $10 shipped. You can unbolt your pulley and bolt it on to this bracket.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
One of the Colorado members has a REAL nice version of those. You should check PHR because that's where they're being sold. SOLID unit and great price.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jeremyhelling said:
One of the Colorado members has a REAL nice version of those. You should check PHR because that's where they're being sold. SOLID unit and great price.
I emailed SP yesterday to get a quote from them. But I'll DEFI check out PHR. I dont want to just to replace this part, I want to upgrade it if I can.

But if I can't a better one today ALEX D, I'll PM. I saw your thread in the FOr Sale part of the forums.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
PHR, Boost Logic, and SP all have the timing belt idler bracket for sale. They range from $300-400 depending who you go with.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alex D said:
PHR, Boost Logic, and SP all have the timing belt idler bracket for sale. They range from $300-400 depending who you go with.
I just checked PHR's site and I'll pass on this for now. lol

You got a PM sir.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
nj94supratt said:
nice timing finding that. I dont think I have ever heard of that happening
Really? It's one of the more common engine part failures on the 2jz.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've NEVER read anything about that bracket breaking. But I might've just not clicked on the right link here on the forum. Now I know, and if it happens again(which it might), then I'll get the upgrade.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts