Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 na and have owned older mkiii's so i know how fast there supposed to be. When i first purchased this 91na i almost didnt cuz there was no power when i test drove it but it was bone stock. I then bought it and added some things and it still isnt as fast as it should be. So what im wondering is what are some of the things on these motors that cause significant power loss. This motor has 60k on it and i replaced plugs,wires thinking it was that but it wasnt, and also had a compression check and all was good there too. Any ideas on what is robbing my power??? or did i just get a bad egg...hahaha

these are my mods that i have done since i got this car. i know its not much but i figured it would free up some power and im only at about what a stock 7mge should feel like.

k&n filter with custom intake
2.5 cat back exhaust (stock manifold....sigh!)

·
1JZ BLING
2,604 Posts
well 1. its slow because its n/a

After that, id check your engine codes and see if anything is bad.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what are you even talking about??? I just said it doesnt have the power its supposed to have compared to other mkiiis ive owned. I wouldnt even be driving a non turbo or an mkiii if i didnt have fines and 5 points on my license. I use to have a 93 tt till i had to sellit and downgrade for those reason. I think my 91 is a real nice car to have for an everyday driver and all im trying to do is get the power it should have out of it.

·
1JZ BLING
2,604 Posts
i was just joking about the fast part. But, you should check your engine codes because maybe, just maybe, you have a bad connection, or something in your ignition might be bad, maybe a bad sensor.... soooo, check your engine codes and see if anything comes up.

And also, what kind of less power you talking about??? like its horrible slow with no response, or its just missing a tiny bit on the top end.

·
Street Sleeper
1,114 Posts
check your timing is at 10 before tdc if its out it could cause the car to loose alot of power.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You said that you have owned older mkiiis and your 91 feels slower right. Back in the day I used to drive my uncles 87 auto na supra befor I got my first supra. When I got my 89 5-speed na it was newer and had less miles than my uncles yet felt slower. His 87 only had one cat on it , the 89 and up na has 2 cats like the turbo. When i removed one of them the car seemed to have the same spunk that the 87 had.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanksfor all the help im sure it is a sensor or timing issue but the power loss isnt huge it just should have about 15-20 more hp. Most of the power loss is at bottom end. So im gonna go look at the timing and see what happens. Ill let you know how i make out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well me and my buddy just got done advancing my timing a lil bit and it seem to help a lil. Its has good response and the real noticeable thing was the way it made the exhaust sound alot better. It took alot of the raspy nois out...thanks guys for all the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts