Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah i did search i found topics but i scorched my hand before i could remove the cover.

the clicking is just audible but it is loud from the outside, i had suspicions of rod-knock but the sound is coming from the timing cover area.
i saw part of the belt before i burned my hand it was still good from what it looked like...

any other ideas besides rod-knock?

or could my timing belt be causing this.
I have a extra belt in my garage so yeah if i need to replace it i can.

thanks

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
your valves could be at fault

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
You need a broom handle.
Then while the engine is running, be careful, and don't let the handle hit a fan, or moving belt.
Then with one end of the broom handle on the part you want to "hear" make a fist on the other end and hold your ear next to your fist.
It's a cheap stethoscope, and it works very well. Just don't freak out when you can hear every noise and bearing etc. (You can move the handle down your block, and hear all kinds of things going on. Or listen to your alternator, or compressor, or PS pump etc. Water pumps are noisy, cam covers are noisy, valve covers are noisy, but if you have a click, you can move the handle around, and listen to the exact area the noise comes from, and pretty much narrow it down to that part. (or the part under the handle anyway.)
Good luck, and have fun. (They do sell automotive stethoscopes, they are anywhere from 10.00 to 100.00 and do about the same thing, but you can't sweep the floor with them later.) :)

B

·
0 Posts
also a long screwdriver will work like the broom handle if you don't have room for the broom handle and need a little more accuracy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright thanks ill try that tomorrow morning when theres light

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
how about a timing belt tensioner? if the bearing starts going, it should make something similar to a ticking/clicking

·
Registered
762 Posts
Belt tensioner OR your crank pulley has broken. Inside the lower timing belt cover the crank pulley has a toothed section with a lip on each side of it, this is where the timing belt sits. On my car one of the lips broke off and was jangling round in there. I also found that the belt was riding forward on the cam pulleys and hitting the inside of the plastic belt cover, cos there was no lip on the crank pulley to hold it in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts