Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Filmmaker
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hahaha, 2 nites ago got pulled over for having an illegal exaust, anything thats not factory installed is illegal according to the cop.....never got the memo, but also he said my TRD license plate frame is illegal, and my insurance card was out of date, so he let me off "easy" with just the loud exaust ticket, which i still dont know how much it is, but im thinking i should just pay it he seriously could of impounded my car. So any opinons welcome, kinda mad, but more kinda puzzled because it really isnt illegal?

Matt

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
He couldn't of impounded your car...no way NJ is that strict.

Some states have been passing laws recently that nothing can be mounted on the plate at all...wether that be covers or frames that could obstruct the information on the plates. Really stupid law, but the state needs some easy money I guess.

If you have your stock exhaust still, or can borrow someones.....put it back on your car and take pictures. Go to court stating that you replaced your exhaust and show the pics and you should get off with just paying the court fees at the most.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
um.... i was pulled over and ticketed for the same thing.... it went to court, proved that my exhaust wa sin fact legal, law has some limitations, all they do is take the level, dont pay it if your exhaust doesnt exceed the current limit, take it to court and get teh cop in trouble, there sno possible way for a cop to know if an exhaust is too loud unless its open downpipe which is a different ticket entirely

·
11,221 Posts
You know what you do? If you wanna be anal about it. Change your exhaust to a quiter/more legal one, and take it to court. Drive your car there, and if they need anything your car is there for them to test.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
michaelvanle said:
You know what you do? If you wanna be anal about it. Change your exhaust to a quiter/more legal one, and take it to court. Drive your car there, and if they need anything your car is there for them to test.

you jacked my avatar, i hate you.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
HydroMatrix said:
um.... i was pulled over and ticketed for the same thing.... it went to court, proved that my exhaust wa sin fact legal, law has some limitations, all they do is take the level, dont pay it if your exhaust doesnt exceed the current limit, take it to court and get teh cop in trouble, there sno possible way for a cop to know if an exhaust is too loud unless its open downpipe which is a different ticket entirely
cops wins either way,
he never really gets in trouble cause he gets to add another ticket to his quota and if you have a court date with him (win or loose) he gets the whole day off...
aaah... tax dollars at work..... :rolleyes: :jerkit:

·
'95 TT
668 Posts
WhiteBlazze said:
He couldn't of impounded your car...no way NJ is that strict.

Let me tell you first hand... the reason i sold my NA-T was solely because i got pulled over for having a loud exhaust.... my registration was revoked indefinitely just because the cop THOUGHT i had an exhaust which was louder than stock.

I could no longer register my car in my state because of it.

A very $$ expensive problem... hopefully you don't run into the same thing.

·
!black
4,625 Posts
Anything that is not factory installed is illegal? HAHAHAHAHA. Shhhh... don't let SEMA hear that. Didn't happen to get that in writing did you? heheh.

First, they must prove that your exhaust is in violation of a mandated decibel level. Not something that can be done by some joe-schmoe donut eater when he decides to pull you over. Unless it's just obvious, like you're running no headers or some dumb shit like that, they don't have a legal right to do ANYTHING.

If you have been ticketed for a noise violation, I would contact an attorney. I would have the exhaust decibel level checked vs. mandated maximum levels. I doubt you are past them. An easy argument would be that officers are required to use digital and mechanical means in order to measure the speed of a person, and thus write a ticket for a violation. They simply cannot ticket a speeder for a "guess" of how fast they were going. If those processes are in place, then how is that the officer can somehow decide just how "loud" you are, and thus ticket you for violation? Answer: They can't. Case dropped (it won't make it to court if you get a lawyer and have him press it).

You can take it one step further and allege that the officer was engaging in profiling you. Whether or not it's true is another story, most of the times the county would rather just drop it rather than face possible media attention. Especially if the officer has a history of violation stops among younger people in imports (hey, it happens).

Was your insurance EXPIRED? or just that you carried card had an old date? Your car cannot be impounded unless you do not carry insurance (or have an uninsured motorist bond with the state). If your policy is still in effect, then he couldn't do shit. And if he did, see the above.. add it to your lawsuit

As for the plate bracket... I also call BS on that one. You can look it up easy enough in your states codes, but unless the blocking the view of vital tag info (number, registration month and date), it is not in violation. The tag must be readable from 75 feet w/o obstruction.

Let it be known that I have both cops and lawyers in my family. And let it be also know that I have filed suit against my county twice already. I practically drive with immunity now :lol:

Blizz: I hope to hell you got a lawyer. Officers cannot just arbitrarily revoke ANYTHING. There is due process in this country for a reason. Was this judgment determined in a courtroom? I cannot see how you could have possibly had a registration revoked due to an exhaust, please post the whole story.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
DTSupra30 said:
, but also he said my TRD license plate frame is illegal, Matt
I've been pulled over for that too. he said
"it blocks california, so it's illegal"
"but it's a toyota frame, i bought it from toyota"
"is it the factory frame that came on the car?"
"no, but I doubt many people with a 14 year old car have thiers"
"it's not factory, so it's illegal"

·
'95 TT
668 Posts
MadMaxx I COMPLETELY agree with everything that you said exactly.

This state trooper that pulled me over DOES profile. I've been pulled over 3 times by the guy, one time my supra was completely stock and he tried to accuse me of having an "aftermarket muffler" on there. My roomate and his stock evo was also accused of the same thing. The guy is ridiculous.

In massachusetts however, you can't modify your exhaust to be louder than it's oem conterpart. Which means any aftermarket exhaust system is illegal in this state. It's such a bullshit rule it makes me want to puke.

Now, without a DB meter taking active readings and knowing exactly what my exhaust DB level was, there was no way he could write me a ticket for what he thought was a "louder than stock" exhaust because he would have no way to prove it.

I fought the ticket and obviously won. So now i beat the $100 max fine ticket.

Where i was screwed, was the trooper also sent a complaint to the registry of motor vehicles with my VIN # on it giving me a "COMPLAINT REGULATORY" which is the generic complaint that a vehicle is operating illegally. This was IN ADDITION to the ticket. So now, in order for me to clear my car VIN # of this complaint I would need to get it inspected by state officials at the registry... and let me tell you, their people not only check your exhaust, they check your whole car and will not let you back on the road until everything has been fixed.

My car being an NA-T, lowered, HIDs, no cats etc... would certainly have made them wet themselves with violations and being as expensive as it would have been to undo the operation and revert to stock it just wasn't worth it. I live in the single worst county for this type of shit. The trooper literally gets his jollies off by doing this.

So MadMaxx, there is your full story, i hope no one else has to deal with the same bullshit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts